daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #6821
wawd

Likes (Received): 17

taken 14th May:
image hosted on flickr

Shoreditch Walk May 2011 by wawd, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Shoreditch Walk May 2011 by wawd, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #6822
cybertect

Likes (Received): 182

Apparently Ofcom have waded in on the 'what is the tallest building in Britain' debate

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/05/2...pant_priapism/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register
Ofcom, the UK's telecommunications regulator, has told the company raising London's latest erection, the Shard, that two of the country's tallest TV transmission masts stand more proudly skyward than the so-called "vertical city" does.
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #6823
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
The shape, the location and the cladding make plenty of difference from OCS.
Mostly the location tbh
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #6824
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossa View Post
I'm finding it odd that almost everyone stops in front of it being amazed by its hight despite it's not much higher than 1 Canada Square as yet, and no one gets this wow-effect at 1 Canada Square!

I'm still not finding it more impressive than Guy's to be honest, dunno whether it's because I see it every day but it just doesn't look more impressive than any other skyscaper in London to me! lol
I dunno about that. One Canada Square's the tallest building I've stood at the foot of and I felt it was pretty awe inspiring and certainly had the 'wow' factor.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #6825
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Two pics taken a few days ago by me, well i personally think that The Shard is more impressive in terms of cladding/glass.

Zefire liked this post
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #6826
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7202

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #6827
PortoNuts

Quote:
Shadow of the Shard

It began life as a scribbled sketch on the back of a menu in a restaurant. It is now the tallest building in the UK. The Shard in London Bridge needs little introduction. Its rapid ascent into the capital’s skyline has made it the talk of the town.

When it is completed next year, The Shard will be crowned the tallest building in Europe and become an iconic backdrop to the 2012 Olympics. But unlike London’s other skyscrapers, it is not located in the City or the capital’s second financial district, Docklands. It is located here, south of the river, in Southwark, a borough which has some of the worst rates of deprivation and unemployment in the UK.

And while onlookers marvel at this shimmering new structure as it climbs skyward to its 310m zenith, the question those who live in its shadow are asking is not what it will look like when it is finished, but what impact will it have on their lives?

What will be the so-called Shard Effect? The Shard has put Southwark’s riverside on the world map. The historic neighbourhoods of Borough and Bermondsey had not escaped the surge of gentrification before the building’s inception. Long before its architect, Renzo Piano, conceived his vertical town by sketching an iceberg-like structure rising from the Thames on the back of a menu in a Berlin restaurant, investment had been pouring into the districts.

It was the towns’ proximity to the City which lit the touch paper. Warehouses that had sat redundant for decades were turned into desirable homes for the bankers and traders in the Square Mile. Bermondsey Street developed as a fashionable address in which to live and work – a popular location for the so-called “creatives”. The first iconic building created in the neighbourhood was City Hall, the Norman Foster-designed home of the London Assembly.

But it is the scale of investment earmarked to create new buildings in the area since the Shard proposal was floated that is unprecedented. The Shard is part of the London Bridge Quarter development that also includes its £120million little brother, The Place. This week, Network Rail began consultation on its £800million plan to transform London Bridge station. Numerous other buildings have been given planning permission, such as One Tower Bridge – a luxury apartment development close to City Hall – along with the Quill and the Three Spires.

Southwark council has estimated up to 25,000 jobs could be created. But just how many of them will go to local people in a borough where youth unemployment is at 22 per cent? The real question of The Shard and the other developments is that as all this wealth floods into the northern tip of the borough like a tidal surge, how far will the high-water mark reach?

Will it benefit those most in need, or will it just line the pockets of the already affluent? The £450m Shard, which will feature offices, restaurants a hotel and apartments, will create 12,500 jobs alone. Its developer, Sellar Group, has given funding to Southwark College as part of a deal with the council to train people with the skills needed to work in the tower.

But today the firm has committed to employing just 150 local people in service and building management jobs. Southwark Labour councillor Martin Seaton, who is part of a cross-party council investigation into the economic impact of The Shard, said the building must deliver for local people. He said: “If it is not creating jobs, then it is not regeneration. It is just transplanting wealth from one part of the city to another. There are limits to what we can do as a council. We are not able to dictate terms but hope to work closely with those involved to encourage them to give positive consideration of employing local people.

“I’m hopeful the site will be like a magnate for smaller businesses who will provide services to buildings like The Shard. It is not so much about local people working in the buildings themselves, but getting the jobs in the smaller businesses in areas like Bermondsey and Elephant & Castle. Inevitably, as the city expands, so property prices will rise around these developments and this will have a knock-on effect. But that is the inevitable trade-off with what we hope will be a major boost to local enterprise.”

Shane Clarke, deputy chief executive at Team London Bridge, an organisation that represents more than 250 businesses in the district and lobbies for improvements, is confident the creation of the Shard and other developments will benefit local people.

He said: “Having a world-class building in Southwark has put it on the map, and what we want to see now is a world-class rail station to match it. That is essential to future investment in the area.” Mr Clarke said retail opportunities could create jobs in the future. He said: “One of the things we have been lobbying for is an improved retail offer. You have thousands of people working in offices here and yet there is nowhere to buy a shirt at lunchtime. This has to improve and this is where thousands of jobs could be created."

“Of course, it will be difficult for small businesses to afford the rents around these new developments, but we believe there are opportunities to open out the rail arches to the south and make them affordable to local enterprise. This is not just about creating local job opportunities, but preserving and enhancing the character of the area.”

One of the longest-running businesses in the neighbourhood is M Manze pie and mash shop in Tower Bridge Road. The shop, opened in 1902 by Michele Manze, has been a Bermondsey institution for generations. Co-owner Rick Poole said the rapid gentrification of the area had already damaged trade and fears the so-called Shard Effect will hurt it further.

He said: “We’re for working-class people and the working classes are being pushed out of the neighbourhood. I cannot see the Shard being anything but detrimental to our business. I think the same could be said of a lot of established small businesses in the area.” It is too soon to conclude how the Shard will impact on its surroundings. Too soon to know whether this building will become a beacon of hope to those who live in the borough or dash their aspirations.

All that is certain is change.
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/N...%20the%20Shard
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #6828
PortoNuts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avrhovs...n/photostream/
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #6829
SO143
BANNED

by BillKatyGemma
image hosted on flickr

by BillKatyGemma

image hosted on flickr

by BillKatyGemma

image hosted on flickr

by BillKatyGemma

image hosted on flickr

by BillKatyGemma

Zefire liked this post
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #6830
PortoNuts

Hope those views don't affect the office workers productivity.
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #6831
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Two pics taken a few days ago by me, well i personally think that The Shard is more impressive in terms of cladding/glass.

From those 2 images, I have to say I like One Canada Square's cladding a lot more. I happen to prefer boxy scrapers though.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #6832
brossa

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I dunno about that. One Canada Square's the tallest building I've stood at the foot of and I felt it was pretty awe inspiring and certainly had the 'wow' factor.
I'm personally a huge fan of One Canada Square. But let's be honest - I have never seen anyone stopping in front of it with an omg-face like people do at the shard. A shame really as it deserves the same attention in my opinion!

I totally agree that the shard's location is probably very beneficial!

Whether one finds it impressive, nicely cladded or better shaped is still a matter of taste.
brossa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #6833
SO143
BANNED

3rd picture of post 6834 reminds me of Bank of America in New York

Zefire liked this post
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #6834
PeoplePower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Nice pics

Zefire liked this post
PeoplePower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #6835
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossa View Post
I'm personally a huge fan of One Canada Square. But let's be honest - I have never seen anyone stopping in front of it with an omg-face like people do at the shard. A shame really as it deserves the same attention in my opinion!

I totally agree that the shard's location is probably very beneficial!

Whether one finds it impressive, nicely cladded or better shaped is still a matter of taste.
The shard is simply more impressive from the base for the same reason the John Hancock here in Boston is. From Copley Square the tower is extremely thin and almost razor blade like, whereas comparable buildings in height in the city simply don't get that "ooooo" factor due to the fact that they are much wider. The narrow dimensions give the appearance that the engineers have defied physics and make the tower look far taller than it actually is, when indeed they haven't (due to the much wider sides that are out of view from Copley).
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #6836
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 790

The cladding and the location are both huge and important factors when it comes to impression, but One Canada Square has both good cladding, and can be easily seen in it's fullest when you're on the square and looking at it. The reason why the Shard is more impressive lies in it's design, i.e. geometric shape. OCS is cuboid structure and it's equally distributed width make it seem less tall and, albeit monumental, relatively unimpressive.
The Shard is a piramid-like structure that, even though is not yet finished, appears to be touching the skyes, with it's top seemingly disappearing in the heights.
for The Shard!
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #6837
cybertect

four more views from lunch time

Concrete section from near the GLA building

North side TC reflection from Hays Lane

Glazing crew at work on the NE corner

Backpack TC and Mini-Backpack from Hays Lane

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #6838
brossa

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
The shard is simply more impressive from the base for the same reason the John Hancock here in Boston is. From Copley Square the tower is extremely thin and almost razor blade like, whereas comparable buildings in height in the city simply don't get that "ooooo" factor due to the fact that they are much wider. The narrow dimensions give the appearance that the engineers have defied physics and make the tower look far taller than it actually is, when indeed they haven't (due to the much wider sides that are out of view from Copley).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_N View Post
The cladding and the location are both huge and important factors when it comes to impression, but One Canada Square has both good cladding, and can be easily seen in it's fullest when you're on the square and looking at it. The reason why the Shard is more impressive lies in it's design, i.e. geometric shape. OCS is cuboid structure and it's equally distributed width make it seem less tall and, albeit monumental, relatively unimpressive.
The Shard is a piramid-like structure that, even though is not yet finished, appears to be touching the skyes, with it's top seemingly disappearing in the heights.
for The Shard!
I can only repeat myself ... to me it is not more impressive than either One Canada Square or Tower42 as yet! It's all a matter of taste!
brossa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #6839
da_wei

Likes (Received): 3

why the color in the river is quite different from the water around the cbd?
image hosted on flickr
da_wei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #6840
cybertect

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_wei View Post
why the color in the river is quite different from the water around the cbd?
Like any river in its mature phase, the Thames is carrying vast amounts of silts in its water, which is why it is brown.

Canary Wharf is built around old docks. Any silt in the water will settle out onto the dock basin floor, leaving the water in the dock clear and blue (mostly a product of reflecting the colour of the sky). The docks are largely sealed off from the river and, by and large, new silt doesn't enter into them except from direct run-off from the land around.

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass