daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:40 PM   #681
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

surely he cant change the construction now?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM   #682
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollern View Post
We don't know if the POW is specifically referring to The Shard; he may well be referring to 20 Fenchurch St, a tower which on this board hasn't received universal acclaim.
In any case, The Shard is on the south bank of the Thames so won't "overshadow' the Tower of London or the City of Westminster.
Then it does not look like a problem to me. Looking at the renders in the opening post, I must say I have some sympathy for prince Charles, this building may fit better in one of the existing clusters then on this location with few towers nearby.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:08 PM   #683
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Prince Charles disgusts me and very disgraceful to the world. He needs to get a life, seriously. Let's ignore him and get this beautiful skyscraper get built!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #684
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
surely he cant change the construction now?
Nah - of course not.

Prince Charles has no power whatsoever, he's just stating his old fashioned opinions. (although, to be fair he should not be totally ignored, some of his views on sustainability, communities and buildings built to last are worth listening too....but overall he is stuck in the past)
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #685
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Then it does not look like a problem to me. Looking at the renders in the opening post, I must say I have some sympathy for prince Charles, this building may fit better in one of the existing clusters then on this location with few towers nearby.
No. Like the Eiffel Tower, this building looks best alone. Hell, it even goes one step further and was specifically designed to stand alone. Putting more towers near it, or putting it where there are more towers, would ruin it.
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #686
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Anyone who has sympathy with prince charles's views on LBT has obviously never been to the area. It is so far from the idealistic medieval london that charles seems to think it is - the street plan and buildings are not quaint and olde worlde. The area is dominated by massive, busy roads, ugly post war dross and quite frankly the most horrid transport interchange in London.

Its not an attractive location, it does not represent historic london and there is very little in the area worth preserving, This is the ideal location for a tall building and total redevelopment.

Last edited by NothingBetterToDo; February 4th, 2008 at 12:30 AM.
NothingBetterToDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:28 PM   #687
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
Anyone who has sympathy with prince charles's views on LBT has obviously never been to the area. It is so far from the idealistic medieval london that charles seems to think it is - the street plan and buildings are not quaint and olde worlde. The area is dominated by massive, busy roads, ugly post war ground dross and quite frankly the most horrid transport interchange in London.

Its not an attractive location, it does not represent historic london and there is very little in the area worth preserving, This is the ideal location for a tall building and total redevelopment.
I agree London bridge is pretty duff
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #688
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Agreed.
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #689
DodgyEye
Talk like a Pirate

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
then he is an idiot.
Got it in one. He's a complete tit.
DodgyEye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #690
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Towers usually should be approved on quality rather than locality. Unless there is a universal historic value that needs protecting.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #691
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

A 2nd supertall for London...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=579524

...??

Old February 7th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #692
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

It's not impossible, if the tower has a higher office usage than the Shard, and has similar radiator/cooling floors, or maybe an architectural addition like a spire or fins which seem quite popular now. I hope it isn't just a 60 floor box!

And unless I'm mistaken there are no height restrictions in regards to aircraft in Croydon?
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #693
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 68

bring it on i say
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #694
krone23
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Great project for London

Zefire liked this post
krone23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #695
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by krone23 View Post
Great project for London
Do you mean LBT?
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #696
kimbo

Likes (Received): 0

Webcast info on Shard Project 2008

Although I mentioned it here before, thought I'd give a link to a webcast I've been watching recently about Shard. Am off to Chicago next tuesday so will be able to check up on the progress of our own new "scrapers" !!

listen in on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i64xTevD8A
kimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #697
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

What effing "views" Charlie Windsor?

Quote from the moron Charlie Windsor: "A rash of skyscrapers "will disfigure precious views and disinherit future generations of Londoners," he added"

What effing "views"? I have been to London many times and have never seen any type of view whatsoever. Because of the way the roads are built with curves and dead-ends and the way the neighborhoods are situated who really has a view of anything but their neighbors? Can someone enlighten me? I agree that it is time for London to quit their love affair with those ugly looking medieval structures.

As far as the towers go and this one in particular is there a nearby tube to support the amount of people working there and will the surrounding roads support the daily deliveries this type of tower will demand? I am sure they thought of this but looking at the streets seems like a recipe for gridlock.

BTW... I'll never understand why the people of the UK tolerate the "royals" and their BS. Especially since so much money goes to subsidizing the adulterous slobs. Here in the United States we would have tossed their behinds out long ago and ended this monarchy nonsense. Maybe the UK will "progress" in this area like they have with the skyscrapers?
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #698
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

^The LBT will be built directly above london bridge tube station, so id say the transport is pretty good. We're very fond of our medieval structures, its the bland concrete council blocks that really make the area ugly, and fortunatly this should get rid of one of the worst, possibly more when they do up the area. We put up with the royals because americans love the idea of it, and we make big bucks from tourism at places like windsor castle and buckingham palace. In fact they probably draw in much more money through tourism than we pay them.
Old February 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #699
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

They only cost 60p a year per person (or something like that) - and as mentioned, they bring in a lot of tourism, and also do a lot of charity work and so on. I'm happy enough with them for the time being, as are most people.

I do wish Charlie boy would shut the hell up though....i hope he skips the thrown and hands it straight to Wills.
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #700
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

I somewhat like the bleakness of southwark at time.A supertall in croydon is stupid.It will look totally out-of-place.Bring on 200m but 300+ is stretching that bit too far

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass