daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7001
cybertect

Likes (Received): 182

More of the new concourse roof opened up at London Bridge Station, London SE1.

image hosted on flickr

Are you with the project team? by cybertect, on Flickr

"Are you with the project team?"

[I was being careful not to block anyone's passage and I'd taken just one pic before this when he pounced]

"Er, no, I'm not."

"If you aren't you'll need to go to the office to get permission to take photos"

"Even for just a couple of pics with my with my phone?"

"Yes"

"Oh"

I left and descended the escalators, past five PCs at its bottom with black labradors sniffing for something.

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #7002
Crystaldrano
Recoleto

Likes (Received): 1336

May I present to everyone with a small concern that I have around this building. How would you demolish this building in the event that you are required to do so?
Crystaldrano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #7003
cybertect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystaldrano
May I present to everyone with a small concern that I have around this building. How would you demolish this building in the event that you are required to do so?
The design team will have written a method statement for such an eventuality.

Necessary these days, especially when you have such things as post-tensioned concrete structures.
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #7004
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7208

That roof is a breath of fresh air. Good updates.
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #7005
PortoNuts

by anthonySE1.

[IMG]http://i51.************/2h31t2u.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #7006
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

This was featured on a program on BBC 1 the other night (forgot what it was called but andrew marr was the man I think) sorry if this has already been mentioned.
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #7007
ArchitectofDesign

Likes (Received): 0

Hi once more!

I finished the article on "The Shard" to found upon www.ArchitectofDesign.com and directly at http://www.architectofdesign.com/literature.html

A monumental thank-you to Rob, and a huge thank-you to SoulJacker.
You are both credited, and linked.

I would love for you to all read the article and more importantly, if you wish, to be on the website yourself.

You are able to see a Public opinion section for one contributor. I can and will do this for you, your opinion/response/outlook would need to be a minimum of 200-300 words and no longer than 600 words.

I would love to hear your opinions, preferably deeper, not just quick observations, as you will be on the internet and viewed quite often.

Here is the essay.

The article without HTML/Imagery:

The Shard - London Bridge

Many misconceptions revolve around the shard, ranging from who the tenants are, to how the building will meld into the surrounding borough and what it will do to it. Some people aren't even aware of the large ‘backpack’ building which adjoins the spire further towards the base and/or consider it a separate entity. In this brief essay I will talk about design, the impression that will be exuded upon the passerby’s and the local peoples impressions.

The renders which hoard every billboard around the area sprouted from the media will not represent what our own eyes will see or being more specific; the details that our eyes will be naturally drawn too upon seeing the final building. Just like most sales teams would do, the renders have been made to look almost fantasy like, that’s not to say the Shard will look better or worse than them however, i'm stating that it will evoke a more varied degree of emotions from different people in reaction to the sight and acknowledgement of the new building, once it is finished. This feeling, whatever it is will be even more extreme when we are situated directly at the base on the ground floor whilst looking up at the seemingly unending wall of crystal clear glass extruded from the main building soaring towards the clouds.

The Shard is not a perfect triangle with four walls of glass, it consists of a multifaceted layered design methodology whereby many parallel glass facades extend beyond each other and and often progress over each other, creating a more cohesive and deeper design, and this was the best decision made throughout the design process, because a glass pyramid would be very boring if it did reside in this context. A 300 meter high building needs proportion especially when in a populated area like London Bridge juxtaposed with buildings such as Guys Hospital, it needs to be broken up into easy segments for your eye to handle, allowing the viewer to appreciate the aesthetic decisions visible in parts of the architecture, it needs width, depth and bulk, progressing past just being just a fancy facade. This is going to be in London for decades. And true ‘good’ architecture does not start at the facade. Some of the best structures in the world, ranging from the Parthenon to the Lloyds building, are pure structure, they are function over form, function becomes the form, it evolves the form. Chucking out the need for a superficial facade and creating true architecture, a manifestation of objects which condone the population of our race under its roof whilst inspiring people inside and outside, through form, and the intentional theory which resides behind the form, and it does this whilst also giving the people who interact with the building a sense of purpose. A meaning to being there, surpassing being simply a sight too acknowledge and subconsciously or consciously adding to their inner drive.

So where does the Shard come into this? Shard has an opportunity, not just for Renzo Piano, the inhabitants or the passerby’s, but an opportunity to change the whole spirit of an whole area via a trickling water effect.

Conjure up this simple scenario; 10,000 commuters turn up to a 1000ft wall of brick every morning, they will feel slightly different after a while, if before they were turning up to a 1000ft tall glass facade. One will exude a vast scale of corporatism and capitalism in relation to other, if done in certain forms other effects will be achieved, so through the use of material, through the channel of the developments scale and design, subconsciously and consciously the development will emit a huge sense of new emotion into an area which primarily has been quite deprived through history in relation to North London, in the physical sense of sight too, a brick lane will now posses a larger corporate population, suits will walk down the side streets in equal ratio and stroll into the family run businesses just as often as the locals do.
Yet the zeitgeist which springs from this always seems to be against it, people seem to be against the corporate populations buying new business in local areas or moving into properties, there are negative issues related to that, but the populations waving the flags against it, tend to not realise the positive effects it brings into the area too. The fact of the matter is, the areas surrounding London Bridge such as Elephant and Castle are deprived and seen negatively from the perspectives of other populations around London and it has not changed considerably over the years. So while it is easy for many of the local working class population to complain, and I agree with many points that are voiced, it’s also very naive to not research, opting to simply see through the benefits that developments such as this will bring to everyone. Instead of complaining about the fact that only 150 jobs in The Shard are being reserved for local people from working class backgrounds, it would be more beneficial to local boroughs and individuals to rise up to challenge and gain the necessary skills to become a valid source of employment in the development, without needing one of the ‘150 special roles’.

Irrelevant, the Shard is going to boost economy in and around the area, Strata will soon be full and more accommodation will be needed, (unfortunately that’s not to suggest the quickly dissipating Elephant and Castle regeneration scheme will speed up) and opportunities will arise for locals through offering accommodation and supplying the tenants employees who will be arriving into an under-stocked area for what it will soon become. These new employees will be wanting rent-able space, and many will not be willing to move into what is currently on offer throughout the surrounding boroughs, there are only several middle class developments and they are generally to be found in the new tower block developments, the opportunity is with the locals; invest through renovation and rent out two rooms to the new business employees working inside the Shard, there is a large profit to be made, take the initiative and all parties can benefit.

One cannot question the benefits brought to the area, so to touch on the physicality of the building one last time, I think Renzo did a commendable job (you can be assured there was more thought than a "sketch on the back of a hanker-chief" placed into the building) but i feel what allows the design to climb up from a simple pyramid-esque shape to a piece of modern architecture which is fitting for the surrounding, are the proportions of the overlapping facade sections, the depth of the metal glazing trusses, the breadth of different shades as you progress upwards via the ultra clear glazing, the red blind boxes and most importantly the beautiful I-Beams holding the whole thing up, rather flirtatiously. The saving grace seems to be not the height or the design but in the details, only through them combined did this monument become good architecture.

IF you wish to be a part of the website, and i want the public opinion not just Architects, aka you guys (if some of you are Architects that's more than great too), either pm me your opinion on the Shard, or essay if you wish to write one, aswell as your name and location (if you wish, both can be fictional, no silly ones though :P) and profession (again if you wish so).

Below Shard, not the next but the one after, is an unfinished article on Strata, the members i have been in touch with recently, just to kill two birds with one stone here (i sent you all PM's as well), you are all credited and linked (unless N/A).
ArchitectofDesign no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #7008
ArchitectofDesign

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
This was featured on a program on BBC 1 the other night (forgot what it was called but andrew marr was the man I think) sorry if this has already been mentioned.
That would be ''Megacities'' Hull, someone posted a shortened section of the Shard video already! It was a great program and is available on
BBC iPlayer.
ArchitectofDesign no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #7009
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrHo View Post
Downfallen = Peter Parker = Spiderman
A word of caution, I'd be careful about joking about a much missed, highly regarded member who has passed away. I'm not sure how well known Downfallen was on the international threads so perhaps the news of his death didn't quite reach this far up the forum..

Cannot believe how tall this is looking already and still more to go! A real triumph for London. I shall finally get to see it for myself in a few weeks and whilst any photo's I take won't be on par with the usual contributors, I'll no doubt throw some into the mix. Also a previous comment mentioned an Andrew Marr show which featured the Shard, that program was called 'Megacities' and I imagine it is still available on BBC iplayer or perhaps on Youtube.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #7010
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrHo View Post
Downfallen = Peter Parker = Spiderman
I take it you are unaware he died base jumping right? I take it you weren't trying to be an arse, but be careful...

And thanks for the photos rob the new roof looks great
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #7011
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectofDesign

That would be ''Megacities'' Hull, someone posted a shortened section of the Shard video already! It was a great program and is available on
BBC iPlayer.
Yes that's it, really fascinating facts, figures and most importantly views. Although guys got a feature
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #7012
PortoNuts

Old June 6th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #7013
Mossy22

Likes (Received): 42

some more nice shots of flickr:

[img]image hosted on flickr

City_Sunset-2802 by Caveat_uk, on Flickr[/img]

City_Sunset-2786 by Caveat_uk, on Flickr[/img]

The Shard by Peter M, on Flickr[/img]

The Shard by Rodents rule, on Flickr[/img]

DURHAM - Through My Eyes http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1#post75818611

LIVERPOOL - Through My Eyes http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1424462
Mossy22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #7014
venom6

Likes (Received): 1302

Very nice pictures!
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #7015
PortoNuts

Old June 7th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #7016
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 553

The Shard from Hamstead Heath at the weekend:

Old June 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #7017
idoke

Likes (Received): 5

Bloomberg report on London's skyscrapers

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/68870200/
idoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #7018
cybertect

A couple of pics taken on my way into work this morning

Old June 7th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #7019
PortoNuts

Will they only go ahead with the steel section of the core once the cladding has covered the concrete floors?
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7020
hseugut

Likes (Received): 784

Poor St Paul's church ...
hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass