daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #721
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camzy View Post
the next timeline update will have the project finishing in 2013
Why should the London Bridge Tower finish in 2013? That's screwed up.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM   #722
Camzy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Why should the London Bridge Tower finish in 2013? That's screwed up.
well it's just that if we look at the 'up to date' schedule that is currently on the SHARD website, the Demolition of Southwark Towers is due to finish by April time. Considering that it has barely even started yet, we can gage that they are already a fair amount behind already. They have it finishing in late 2011, and with extra controversy about the tower, London will surely hold it up even further. I think we may be lucky to finish it by the Olympics. 2013 new year seems more likely at this rate of progress.

With any luck, I will be completely wrong and it will finish perfectly on time. That is what we are all hoping for It just that London politics make it so difficult for anything to be built.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM   #723
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

To be fair, its nothing to do with 'London politics' - it already has planning permission and nothing can take that away.

Its the funding problems that have slowed this project even longer - now it appears the rich Arabs have given it their full backing it should be all systems go. The political and planning system can do nothing more to hold this up.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:03 AM   #724
Camzy

I guess you're right, I was using the term 'London politics' in a far too general way.

But all the controversy surrounding Prince Charles' comments are so typical of England. He is just old-fashioned I suppose, but in Dubai not even second thoughts would surround this. Nowhere else in the world would planning permission take so long that it took even longer than construction.

I want to see Southwark tower down as fast as possible before something else even gets the chance to intrude. I do love London as a city - but can just be frustrating watching all this happen and for it to take so long. It can be hard with all the historical landmarks to introduce extreme modernism like LBT, but cannot be avoided. Paris faces the same problem in that the Eiffel tower seems to be undermined in Paris by all the rising structures around it. Personally I think the 'pick 'n mix' of London will be interesting and effective with modern v. historic dotted around the city.

Hopefully this project will lift off now. I look forward to seeing progress made now the all clear has been received.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM   #725
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

great tower

Last edited by marrio415; February 23rd, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM   #726
davee08

Likes (Received): 29

this is a great tower london don't really have many high skyscrapers as such but the ones they do have are quality, read this would be completed by 2013? that'll suck was hoping with all the amazing new projects going on for london would be mostly completed by the time 2012 olympics come around
davee08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM   #727
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camzy View Post
Nowhere else in the world would planning permission take so long that it took even longer than construction.
Actually you have that the wrong way round, Dubai is one of very few places in the world where the planning takes less time than the construction. Take a few of the main examples of countries skyscrapers:

The freedom tower, 5 years design and planning, 4-5 construction, Shanghai world financial centre, nearly 10 years planning, 4 years construction, Paris have been trying to get a supertall to construction stages for decades, Las Vegas may never get that supertall approved, the Shanghai Centre has been on the drawing board for as long as i can remember and they havent even chosen a design yet. Hell even Al burj has been in proposal stage for nearly a decade.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM   #728
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee08 View Post
this is a great tower london don't really have many high skyscrapers as such but the ones they do have are quality, read this would be completed by 2013? that'll suck was hoping with all the amazing new projects going on for london would be mostly completed by the time 2012 olympics come around
Well, there's at least a chance that cosmetically it'll look complete by 2012. I imagine a big chunk of that time at the end would be fit-out works perhaps, so with luck coverage of the Olympics would have this all but complete on the skyline.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM   #729
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

maybe they could have shangri la's hotel section all fitted out for the olympics
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM   #730
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What does "Demo" on the thread title means? They can't demolish something that has yet to be build, can they ...
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:36 PM   #731
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6367

/\

Demolition of the building that occupies the site so far.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM   #732
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
What does "Demo" on the thread title means? They can't demolish something that has yet to be build, can they ...
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM   #733
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

PS. Thanks [email protected]
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #734
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
I love brit girls, that accent gets me every time.
A sucker for the Yorkshire accent on a lady are you?

I walked around the site the other day its gonna give such an amazing view of the river, the city and canary wharf!
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #735
yl75
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Regarding what Charles said, I think there is a key thing to keep in mind though, which is : Why towers are considered "modern" or, "the way of the future" ? Because they are meant to allow an increase in the density of square meters builded per square meters available ?

This is simply FALSE ! (at least for appartments buildings)

Indeed it is a known fact that for apartments buildings, towers or skyscrapers are -mathematically- a BAD building form to increase density compared to slabs or courtyard buildings, see for instance :

Quote:
Lionel March and Leslie Martin have made a major contribution to this discussion. (Leslie Martin and Lionel March, Land Use and Built Form, Cambridge Research, Cambridge University, April 1966.) Using the ratio of built floor area to total site area as a measure of density and the semi-depth of the building as a measure of daylight conditions, they have compared three different arrangements of building and open space, which they call S0, S1 und S2.

Three building types

Of the three arrangements, S2, in which buildings surround the outdoors with thin wings, gives the best daylight conditions for a fixed density. It also gives the highest density for a fixed level of daylight.
http://www.uni-weimar.de/architektur...07/ca_107.html

So building skyscrapers for appartment buildings (not the case of the Shard I know), except maybe in very specific places like at the South of a nonconstructible area, never has any rational reason at the scale of the city, it is always a "I want a high tower" reason and in that sense appartments buildings skyscrapers can be considered as an anti modern generic building form, even if this is counter intuitive.

Note that for office buildings it is a bit different as the building can be made "fatter", but overall the rule most probably still holds.

For sure appartments buildings have to be reinvented, and the solution is for sure not towers.

(plus in a tower in general a flat is never a traversing flat, which is really at the opposite of luxury)

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by yl75; March 7th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
yl75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #736
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

From City AM 14/03/08

SHARD DEVELOPER IN TENANT TALKS

SELLAR Property Group, joint developer of the proposed Shard of Glass skyscraper at London Bridge is in talks with prospective tenants of the scheme.

Since January, when the 310 million sq feet (?!?!) project secured funding from a group of Qatari investors, there have been a spate of enquiries from businesses looking to snap up the remaining floor space in what will be the European Union's highest building. Russian and Japanese companies are known to have expressed interest.
Toby Pullen, asset management director at Sellar said: "Although no one is looking to sell a stake, we have been approached by a few people."
The £2bn Shard scheme will be made up of apartments, hotel and office space, and finished by 2012.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #737
davee08

Likes (Received): 29

The £2bn Shard scheme will be made up of apartments, hotel and office space, and finished by 2012.

OMG i can't believe its so expensive to build this tower for 2 billion pounds nonetheless i like this tower but not as much as the foster can't wait to see london once this is complete
davee08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #738
cstubbies

310 million sq ft??

I think they might mean 3.1million sq ft as sears tower is only 4.5 million sq ft
cstubbies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #739
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

310 million sq. feet is absurd.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #740
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3255

Maybe they got the height (310m) and the floorspace confused?
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass