daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #741
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12204

Is this project a definite "go"?

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #742
mole

Likes (Received): 23

Site demolition is currently underway and funding for construction is reported to be secured.
mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #743
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Thats good news :P
Althought,i am slightly concered :s

Would there be a possibilty of i height reduction or even a raise in height??
I would be extremely pissed off if the UK's only supertall didn't quite make it as one
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #744
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

You're being a tad bit pessimist there and NO, it will NOT get a height reduction.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #745
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i'm srry but this building is a joke.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #746
PFarrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
i'm srry but this building is a joke.
Why?
PFarrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #747
mole

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo View Post
Thats good news :P
Althought,i am slightly concered :s

Would there be a possibilty of i height reduction or even a raise in height??
I would be extremely pissed off if the UK's only supertall didn't quite make it as one

Really? As a Londoner myself, I couldn't care less. London doesn't need tall buildings to define itself.

This building will be an interesting oddity on the skyline, no more. I hope it is built as planned, but am certainly not going to lose any sleep if it doesn't happen.
mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #748
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

It's British humour.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #749
Sbz2ifc

Likes (Received): 29

Well if this building is a joke, I think it's one of the best jokes out of all these projects/jokes out there (planned or being built).

This tower has been one of my favorites ever since the project came out.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #750
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
Actually, it's Helghast being Helghast. If it is not Dubai, or more accurately, if it is from the US or UK, it either sucks, not tall enough, to plain.....he kinda just likes to hate.
just becuae i dont liek the freedom tower doesnt mean i dont like any tower in the US. and for your info. i live in chicago. i guess even voice your own opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
agree totally! . i mean, this is one of the best supertall-projects in europe and IMO with a damn great design
it's funny that u say that cuz you said that about the russian tower.

and the reason i say this is a joke, because this tower was proposed or approved for got what it was exactly and that was back in November, 2003. and its going to be done by 2012. now thats a joke, it takes them That long just for some 310m building.
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #751
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
just becuae i dont liek the freedom tower doesnt mean i dont like any tower in the US. and for your info. i live in chicago. i guess even voice your own opinion.

it's funny that u say that cuz you said that about the russian tower.

and the reason i say this is a joke, because this tower was proposed or approved for got what it was exactly and that was back in November, 2003. and its going to be done by 2012. now thats a joke, it takes them That long just for some 310m building.
Well then you dont know how hard it is for a skyscraper to get approved in London. Just take a look at the other LDN projects
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #752
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
now thats a joke, it takes them That long just for some 310m building.
No. This isn't just 'some' building... It is going to be more expensive than the Freedom Tower, and the same price as the Burj Dubai, £2bn ($4bn). The price tag alone shows that this won't just be 'some 310m building'.

This is London's premiere skyscraper project, and the first supertall building in the UK. It has come up against alot of opposition from different people, and has had funding issues for a long time, which are thankfully now sorted out. It takes a long time for London to build skyscrapers, but when they do them, they do them right, just look at this, which is now full steam ahead, and Swiss Re in the past too.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #753
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

In my view, the design is stunning and most elegant. It's sleek and modern: it soars gracefully and yet it's bold and virile. An outstanding skyscraper.

Old March 30th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #754
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splish View Post
The Shard, The Pinnacle, 122 Leadenhall, The Walkie Talkie, The Gherkin

Those are/will be some of the best skyscraper designs in the world, far better than most American 'box' cities. And don't get started with 'oh my skyline is far better than yours'. Of course they are, London is terribly hard to get tall buildings approved, but the architectural quality of ours is/will be so much better,
The walkie talkie? Your joking right?
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #755
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:

Those are/will be some of the best skyscraper designs in the world, far better than most American 'box' cities. And don't get started with 'oh my skyline is far better than yours'. Of course they are, London is terribly hard to get tall buildings approved, but the architectural quality of ours is/will be so much better,
Great idea: don't get us started with the 'oh my skyline' crap.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #756
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:

Is the Pinnacle the same as Bishopsgate Tower? That one is outstanding!

Renzo Piano did some excellent buildings, oh yeah Renzo did NY Times!!! (HUGE SPIRE!!)
The shard is a unique building, I see no similar designs anywhere else, I hope for a few more feet, but the present height is a real supertall.

I wonder where you get 'American box city'??? NYC is quite SPIREY if you ask me only LA is completely devoid of spires

Last edited by choyak; March 30th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #757
Basel_CH

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:

Thats your opinion about architecture, not more and for me a great silly joke!!
London has in my view with exceptions lousy unremarkable skysrapers, from the desing and also from the heights, the bridge tower is maybe for London relations not bad, also not from the height, but in comparison with other world towns, 300meters and the theatre around this shed is a little bit ridiculous, and almost not mentionable, incredible, how great is the exaggerated opinion of oneself by british people, they mean they rule the world.
Basel_CH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #758
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel_CH View Post
Thats your opinion about architecture, not more and for me a great silly joke!!
London has in my view with exceptions lousy unremarkable skysrapers, from the desing and also from the heights, the bridge tower is maybe for London relations not bad, also not from the height, but in comparison with other world towns, 300meters and the theatre around this shed is a little bit ridiculous, and almost not mentionable, incredible, how great is the exaggerated opinion of oneself by british people, they mean they rule the world.
(Sorry if I get anything wrong here, but I can barely even understand what you are saying.)

Like I said, this won't just be 'some' building. It will cost something similar to the Burj Dubai, $1bn more than the Freedom Tower, New York's premiere skyscraper project. What does that say to you? To me it says we take design and quality over height any day, and that this will be an amazing building, surpassing most over skyscraper projects once completed.

Swiss Re is the first remarkable skyscraper we have had. A taster of what is to come. And now, thanks to her, we are getting some of the best schemes, and certainly some of the most high quality and remarkable, in the world. The Shard, the Pinnacle, 122 Leadenhall, Strata... even the Walkie Talkie, which is by no means to everybody's tastes, but it is nothing if not remarkable.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #759
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

London is a colossus, and has been so for many years. It is perhaps the worlds preminent place to live and work. There is no exaggerated opinion, London is infinite.

The process of rejuvenation and reinvention continues.

Last edited by Zenith; March 30th, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #760
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

In terms of a Global City, London has only one rival in New York. There is an international body, the GaWC, that reviews and measures the influence of cities on global matters. Under their criteria only London & NY have the 'Very Large Contribution' grade. It has long been a wonder why such an important city with the highest property proices in the world has not gone more high-rise. Historical & geological matters are I believe the main influences. The Prince of Wales' recent comments on the Shard show the strength of feeling that run through the country when ever a new skyscraper is planned for London. Until recently it was almost impossible to build a large, tall tower in Central London due to the proximity to the Thames, it's flood plain and the deep clay that dominates the local geology. Technology has moved on, so that now it is possible, just very expensive. As a result London has relatively few tall buildings, but what there is are of a very high standard as demanded by the costs to build them. The Shard will be London's first supertall, but others will slowly follow.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass