daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM   #781
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

seems they're bringing down the old building very fast
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #782
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

Is this bulding U/C?

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #783
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

no, the old building is still under demolishing
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #784
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Don't know the exactly construction site.. Is this the tower under demolition?
Made this one on Tuesday.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #785
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 68

Yes, that's it.
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #786
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

im excited.
demo is going very fast
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #787
pingyao
Virtual Architect

Likes (Received): 200

I was up town yesterday. The building is virtually completely clad in scaffolding and plastic, although no sign yet of actual demolition.
pingyao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #788
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

^But it´s a lot shorter compared to previous photo updates.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #789
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

whats the time scale for demolition , will there be any construction this year?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #790
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

i cant understand wats going on ! is thy using an existing bulding to buld even higher or wat end wat das Demo meen ?

Zefire liked this post
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #791
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

they demolish the whole building to make place for the Bridge Tower
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #792
TamHavPolis

Likes (Received): 0

I know it's not my money, my city, or my country, and I certainly hate to agree with Charles, but that building just doesn't fit. I like modern architecture, don't get me wrong, but I think London is better off sequestering its bolder projects to that one area east of the city center, toward Greenwich (I've forgotten the name of that area, only that there's elevated light rail through it).

And I don't mind the smaller modern projects along the Thames. However, this tower just throws the balance off. Without other projects to counter it, I think it was ill-advised for metro planning to approve this project.

Also, without sounding old and grouchy, I hope that Londoners realize what a beautiful city they live in. In America we've gotten into the habit of destroying anything that isn't shiny and replacing it with shoddy, crass construction that we'll tear down in 30 years if we're not happy with it. Don't make our mistake.
TamHavPolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #793
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamHavPolis View Post
I know it's not my money, my city, or my country, and I certainly hate to agree with Charles, but that building just doesn't fit. I like modern architecture, don't get me wrong, but I think London is better off sequestering its bolder projects to that one area east of the city center, toward Greenwich (I've forgotten the name of that area, only that there's elevated light rail through it).

And I don't mind the smaller modern projects along the Thames. However, this tower just throws the balance off. Without other projects to counter it, I think it was ill-advised for metro planning to approve this project.

Also, without sounding old and grouchy, I hope that Londoners realize what a beautiful city they live in. In America we've gotten into the habit of destroying anything that isn't shiny and replacing it with shoddy, crass construction that we'll tear down in 30 years if we're not happy with it. Don't make our mistake.
I disagree....

This is an amazing tower, for one....it may not be among the world's tallest of supertalls, but it makes up for it in every other department.

I also feel that this tower is far better as a "stand alone" tower. I don't think it'd look right in the ever-increasing density of Canary Wharf, or the City itself.

London won't make the same mistakes....trust me. London made more than its fair share of "mistakes" in the 60's and I like 90% of the newly built, approved and proposed towers (they are of good quality).
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #794
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

To Tamhavpolis

Have you been to London? Did you know that a third of it was destroyed by WW2 and much dross built in it's place. We are very lucky to have such a magnificent city, and enough survived for us to have many beautiful areas. London cannot be summed up in one word, it is everything, which is why the London Bridge Tower is perfect for it. You have to understand that this building replaces ugly digusting dross, and in an area not renowned for it's beauty.

I suspect you haven't been to London, or you would understand why this building is perfect for it. I am not having a go at you, and I totally appreciate your nice comments about our capital.
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #795
clive3300

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamHavPolis View Post
They certainly arent tearing down anything nice to build this tower.

I am personally a bit concerned that the size of this building will just shrink the existing buildings in the City/Southbank.

However overall I think this will be a bit like the Eiffel tower in the end - a visible symbol of London from everywhere on the south bank, if not the north.
clive3300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #796
TamHavPolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
To Tamhavpolis

Have you been to London? Did you know that a third of it was destroyed by WW2 and much dross built in it's place. We are very lucky to have such a magnificent city, and enough survived for us to have many beautiful areas. London cannot be summed up in one word, it is everything, which is why the London Bridge Tower is perfect for it. You have to understand that this building replaces ugly digusting dross, and in an area not renowned for it's beauty.

I suspect you haven't been to London, or you would understand why this building is perfect for it. I am not having a go at you, and I totally appreciate your nice comments about our capital.
I've spent quite a bit of time in London in recent years as a law student. It's one of my favorite cities (duking it out with Berlin and San Francisco).

I have to admit that I haven't spent a lot of time in the neighborhood in which this tower is being built - most of my stay in London was spent around Tottenham Court Road and Charing Cross. I know that London suffered heavy bombing by the Germans. I'm also sure that in areas that were leveled, a lot of the rebuilding would have been in the 60s and 70s, which were generally an unfortunate time in the world of architecture (my hometown in Florida bears many scars from the era of brutalism and cheap, lazy design).

I'm not against modern architecture, and in an already heavily-towered area this project would not get the same comments. I suppose that the mockups I've seen of the tower in the surrounding cityscape just look unbalanced to me.

In a city as old and storied as London, I feel that it may be best to keep the modern, supertall architecture in an area separate from the old city, much like Paris has done with La Defense. But hey, I'm sure people griped after the Great Fire when the city built imposing structures like St. Paul's. There's nothing new under the sun.

I suppose one of the things I like about London is that it's not defined by its man-made phallic towers. I didn't like the BT tower. In the United States by contrast, almost every city seems to have a vast sprawl of single family homes and low-rise apartments surrounding a core of really tall office towers. Blah.

Anyway, cheers from an opinionated friend in America.
TamHavPolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #797
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 181

Why don't hey build it near city? It looks like 3rd cluster for London.

Zefire liked this post
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #798
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Because it is designed to be isolated (although who knows for the future). This is a tower that soars individually, so it is not masked, and can be seen as a beacon for miles around. A spire to represent all spires of London. To crowd it with other talls would diminish it. The city has it's skyscraper cluster, as does Canary Wharf. I get tired of the opinion that no tall building can stand alone, when that is a chance for it to shine proudly. Of course we couldn't have this approach all over London, but LBT is quite rightly an exception. People need to look at structures like the Eiffel Tower to see a comparison (although not a direct one). The fact that this building doesn't need to be built entirely central is a testimony to London's confidence, and perhaps lack of pomposity.

The area this tower will sit in is a very historic one (they all are) but it is anything but beautiful. There are gems of course, but largely the area had suffered previous war damage, post war urban horrors, and much neglect.

I also get tired of people calling these tall buildings phallic (although they are from a certain viewpoint), as if our main motivation is driven by sexual desire, or domination. I've lost count of the people who call the Gherkin an exercise in phallic obsession or some such. It is a shape that is unique, beautiful, and works.

The shard is exactly that, a 'shard' punctuating the largely lowrise southern skyline. May'be don't look at it as a tall building exercising it's power over it's lower neighbours, look at it as a proud covergence of that areas success, of London's success, and a beacon for it.

The shard is a spire like those sitting atop many remaining, wonderful churches of London...it just happens to be super-tall, and made of glass.

Anyway sorry that turned into an overly romantic essay, but then that is me sometimes...not an essay....romantic.
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #799
tuguesh

I feel this tower is in the middle of nowhere ... Architecture in London is a mess !
tuguesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #800
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

just because there arnt any skyscrapers around it doesnt mean its the middle of nowhere, just across the river is the City Of London, Europe's most important center of business and finance.

lol our Architecture can be a bit mismatched, i blame the Luftwaffe
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass