daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM   #801
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 553

I blame poor planning and a distinct lack of ambition (until very recently) over the last half century or so
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM   #802
CrazyMac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
I blame poor planning and a distinct lack of ambition (until very recently) over the last half century or so
I agree, i think the Architects and council planning departments that designed and approved most of the utter garbage that was built in the 50's,60's and 70's should be hunted down and shot..., at least those that are still alive...

Zefire liked this post
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:00 PM   #803
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

London just elected a new mayor...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7380947.stm

... who is very anti-highrise. He may cancel the deal between TFL and the Shard consortium. This would mean the loss of a major tenant, and could potentially leave the project in grave danger.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM   #804
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
London just elected a new mayor who is very anti-highrise.
That's a bit of a problem. It doesn't look good.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #805
Astounded

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
London just elected a new mayor...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7380947.stm

... who is very anti-highrise. He may cancel the deal between TFL and the Shard consortium. This would mean the loss of a major tenant, and could potentially leave the project in grave danger.
Wrong.

Boris Johnson in U-turn on London skyscrapers
Quote:
31 January, 2008

By Helen Crump

London mayoral candidate Boris Johnson today backtracked over his skyscraper policy for the capital, promising to encourage tall buildings in the City, London’s financial district, after all.

The Conservative MP had drawn criticism after attacking recent designs for skyscrapers as “drab and featureless” and criticising incumbent mayor Ken Livingstone for giving the green light to 27 “phallocratic” towers, many of which, BD has revealed, are to be sited in business areas in or near the City and in high-rise Canary Wharf.

But addressing an audience of property industry professionals at central London’s Café Royal on Thursday (January 31), Johnson stressed he was “not against tall buildings” and would want to encourage “wonderful new developments”.

Highlighting Cesar Pelli’s 1980s Canary Wharf tower, he said: “The Conservatives were behind some of the great, wonderful property developments that now distinguish the London skyline.”

“I hope to play my own part in helping you to distinguish the London skyline.”
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM   #806
wjfox
Futurist

In his Building a Better London plan, it states:

"The protection offered by the London View Management Framework to existing strategic views is wholly inadequate."

"We would appoint a panel of experts, including the building industry, representatives of the architects, and the heritage industry. We would also welcome the involvement of UNESCO to restore confidence that our great city’s skyline will be protected."

--

UNESCO being the people who "deeply regret" the building of the Gherkin, and who want LBT and the Pinnacle to be stopped.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM   #807
wjfox
Futurist

Also -

The current London Plan gives undue priority to skyscrapers, in particular policy 4B.9, which outlines how “the Mayor will promote the development of tall buildings”. We need more balance in the London Plan. This will be achieved by removing the promotion of tall buildings from it, and amending the Plan to adhere to the original viewing corridors set in the RPG3A.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM   #808
TamHavPolis

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMac View Post
I agree, i think the Architects and council planning departments that designed and approved most of the utter garbage that was built in the 50's,60's and 70's should be hunted down and shot..., at least those that are still alive...
I thought Brits weren't very keen on guns.

I think they should just be forced to live and work in buildings like those they designed and approved. That would be punishment enough.
TamHavPolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #809
Astounded

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
In his Building a Better London plan, it states:
Quote:
I believe well-designed tall buildings should play a part in London’s development, but they must not overshadow existing landmarks.
(page 4)

Thanks for the link wjfox.
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #810
wjfox
Futurist

Problem is, EH and other people think a building can be "overshadowed" from half a mile away...
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #811
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Foxy - disappointingly negative from you, especially on the world forums. I honestly don't think that all this overbearing caution is particularly relevant. Nor is BJ's elevation to mayor. Obviouosly I'll be much assuaged and happy when the thing becomes officially u/c, but in my view, all the signs are positive that the Shard will get built.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #812
london lad

Likes (Received): 2262

The Mayor of London can not repeal planning permission for a building that has gone through all the proper legal planning hurdles as set out in English law. Possibly Boris might be able to stop some future tower proposals but he can not stop this one.

With regard to him pulling out of the pre-let. If he wants to be seen wasting public money by pulling out of a very advantageous deal for office space & be forced to compensate the developers by pulling out of a legally binding contract then he would not look very clever & dispel his supposed pledge of cutting waste.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #813
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

i thought the building had been passed already ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #814
St. Tim of Sussex
sweet world you survive!

Likes (Received): 0

Blundering Juggler

We fear BJ the Mayor has little clue what he's doing, in many respects including architecture... but he will say what pleases an audience.
Our Prime Minister on the other-hand is able to make unpopular moves an stand by them - but he will not interfere in the Shard.
The new Mayor will probably blunder and fall well before the Shard is finished.
Must go and pray for him now.
Blessings.
St. Tim of Sussex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #815
wjfox
Futurist

This is the official timetable, apparently:-

Demo complete: 15 Dec 08
Substructure works: 12 Jun 08
Superstructure works - 31 July 09 -> 27 Oct 11
Shell and Core - 4F to 30F 11 May 10 -> 26 Aug 11
Shell and Core 31F to 51F 30 Nov 10 -> 08 Mar 12
Completion/Fit out - 14 Feb 11 -> 10 Sep 12
Shell and Core 52F -> 72F 20th June 2011 -> 20th Jan 2012

Shell and Core complete - 11th May 2012

Target completion - 10 Sep 2012.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #816
London21

Likes (Received): 42

I go to L Bridge everyday, and go past the proposed site. The shops on L Bridge station (Boots, costa coffee, and a bar restaurant) have already been shut down, probably, so the construction work can start
London21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #817
wjfox
Futurist

With a whole 2 years before the core rises, it's worrying to read about the new Mayor's plans.

Let's hope the Shard is unaffected...

--

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3908506.ece

Skyline review

Boris Johnson is planning to topple Ken Livingstone’s schemes for skyscrapers in London.

Johnson’s team are determined to preserve the capital’s skyline, but privately fear that hopes of blocking some projects could descend into a legal quagmire, with developers and architects seeking compensation.

The new mayor has appointed Sir Simon Milton to lead a review of all high-rises planned for the capital. The Westminster councillor became a strident critic of Livingstone’s plans.

Milton said earlier this year: “[Livingstone] has made it very clear that he and his people want more tall buildings.

“This fetish for tall buildings anywhere and everywhere will be a disaster for London.”
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #818
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

That's a bad news. I hope this supertall will be built!

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #819
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

i knew something like this would happen, it was just a matter of time. hope the best for this project
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #820
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Are you kidding me? I have been hearing about this project for almost a decade with numerous of delays. Please do not tell me that project will delay again. This beautiful tower MUST be built period!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass