daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM   #861
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
The tower is ok. The location is bad. London is already starting to look very dislocated. A few more towers in random locations, and it will be even worse.

Again, the tower alone is fine.
This tower is more than just "ok" - it will be truly spectacular. A giant, soaring, crystalline structure in the middle of one of the world's most famous cities. When people think of London, they don't tend to think of skyscrapers, and they certainly don't think of 1,000ft supertalls. The Shard will surprise everyone and is going to completely redefine London's image, skyline and architectural scene.

The location is exceptional - over a major transport node, in a rundown area that's badly in need of regenerating. Being outside the City and Canary Wharf, it will stand alone, without being obscured by other towers. Why is this such a bad thing? Look at this rendering to see what I mean. Clearly it's better in isolation and will be appreciated more. As for your comment about London being "dislocated" - well, it's always been this way. London is more like a patchwork of large towns than a single city. It's easily big and sprawling enough to accommodate several different clusters, mini-clusters, and individual landmarks.

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #862
MelbourneMaverick

Likes (Received): 3

Yeah and Sydney was a great success, putting everything in the centre, must just be a coincedence that the rest of the town is a boring concrete jungle.melbournes way better
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM   #863
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
The tower is ok. The location is bad. London is already starting to look very dislocated. A few more towers in random locations, and it will be even worse.

Again, the tower alone is fine.
I don't think you quite understand the reasoning behind the tower's location. It is on a major transport node that is in desperate need of redevelopment. That is what the Shard (and the London Bridge Quarter) will bring, redevelopment.

Like the Eiffel Tower, the Shard is not supposed to be part of a cluster. It is supposed to stand on it's own. It doesn't belong in The City or Canary Wharf, it belongs here, forming a gateway with The Pinnacle on the other side of the river.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM   #864
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

people who are not from london dont seem to understand where this tower is, it does stand alone but its just across the river from the city of london, perfect location IMO
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:51 PM   #865
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

I prefer LBT not being clustered. It really is a beaut and deserves to *erm* have its sightlines protected *erm*.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM   #866
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

What's the height limit for skyscrapers in London and England???
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM   #867
Newcastle Guy

I think this is as high as they can go at this point in time due to London City Airport.
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #868
Marco Polo

I understand what you are saying, ladies and gentlemen. I know London rather well, having lived there some time ago.

I am NOT against a redevelopment of a run-down area. Far from it. I am always happy to see a worse-off area being rejuvenated. But there is more than one project you can contemplate for gentrification. I find that contextually, this tower does not fit there.

You make it sound like dislocation is a good thing. Well, I do not think so. Patchwork - yes, there may be different flavours, different trends. The city of London (the financial core) is a bit of a patchwork in itself and it works well. I love it - used to work there and it was an exhilarating place.

In essence: I do not want to say " a diamond in a gutter somehow shines less". What I am saying is: "if you have a diamond, you make sure it has a proper setting". You create more value (emotional, esthetic) in that way.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #869
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

There's nothing new or stange about the positioning of the Shard. The LB area already has a number of high-rise offices, one of which is coming down to make way for the Shard. It's not like this is going up in the middle of a low-rise residential area. The Shard will also be as close to the City cluster as some of the outlying tall buildings are to CW in the docklands area. London has a number of other isolated tall buildings - Centre Point & BT Tower being the two obvious ones, and no-one criticises these anymore. Seen from a distance the Shard will look very much part of the City cluster.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #870
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

London has always had an amazing way of blending old and new, amazing and less so architecture together, it creates a strong urban vibe that London does so well. And the regeneration of the area is sorely needed, Imagine this towering,elegent diamond juxtaposed to the brickwork and railway bridges of Borough.. Perfect!

I actually cannot wait to see this Icon rise from the ground and move London into a new era.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #871
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, ladies and gentlemen. I know London rather well, having lived there some time ago.

I am NOT against a redevelopment of a run-down area. Far from it. I am always happy to see a worse-off area being rejuvenated. But there is more than one project you can contemplate for gentrification. I find that contextually, this tower does not fit there.

You make it sound like dislocation is a good thing. Well, I do not think so. Patchwork - yes, there may be different flavours, different trends. The city of London (the financial core) is a bit of a patchwork in itself and it works well. I love it - used to work there and it was an exhilarating place.

In essence: I do not want to say " a diamond in a gutter somehow shines less". What I am saying is: "if you have a diamond, you make sure it has a proper setting". You create more value (emotional, esthetic) in that way.
The Shard IS in the right place though. It was designed for this location. Along with the redevelopment of New London Bridge House and the station next to it, it will completely transform the area. The Shard in The City or Canary Wharf simply wouldn't work, as has been said it is specifically designed to stand alone. In terms of the skyline, the location is absolutely perfect.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #872
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Shard construction contracts in place

10:09 | 25.06.08

By Deirdre Hipwell

The development of Europe’s tallest tower The Shard moved a step closer today after Irvine Sellar’s property company awarded a number of key construction contracts.

Sellar Property Group, on behalf of the Shard development consortium London Bridge Quarter, said four construction contracts covering piling, facades, steel and lifts had been agreed.

It said the four contracts amount to almost a third of the total build costs to the 310m high tower. The piling for the tower will be carried out by Stent and forms a major part of the construction element of the tower, will get underway towards the end of the year once demolition is complete. Scheldebouw has been awarded the facades contract while Corus/CBUK and Kone have been contracted to install the steel and lifts.

London Bridge Quarter comprises around 2m sq ft of mixed-use space including The Shard, the redevelopment of New London Bridge House and a piazza linking the two buildings.

Major milestone

Irvine Sellar, chairman of developer Sellar Property Group, said: ‘The placing of these contracts is in line with the programme and plan we established at the beginning of this year when the Qatari investor consortium, comprising Qatar Islamic Bank, QInvest, Qatar National Bank, and Barwa International, joined us as partners to create this iconic landmark building.’

Bernard Ainsworth, Sellar’s project managing director, said: ‘This is a major milestone in the Shard delivery programme. Intensive discussions are continuing with a number of other contractors including concrete and MEP.’

Mace is the main contractor at the Shard. Turner and Townsend is project director.
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #873
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

whats the latest on the demolishion?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #874
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

love the renderings. it's gonna' be a beauty!!
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #875
the sock

is there any pics from the site?
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #876
Jinkies!

Likes (Received): 247

You may wish to take a look at the thread in the London forum

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=407549

These are the most recently posted demolition pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
Demo from London Bridge station

Demo from other side outside station

Jinkies! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #877
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

Oh please, that 'rendering' that showed a square tower, cannot happen. If that is the case, it cannot even be called 'the Shard' anymore, it would be 'the Block' or the Brick, please let this be built as a Shard triangular glass as originally planned, the triangular one is exceptional, the block is ho-hum looks like some cheap ass skyscraper.
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #878
the sock

thanx jinkies
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #879
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2856

Quote:
Originally Posted by choyak View Post
Oh please, that 'rendering' that showed a square tower, cannot happen. If that is the case, it cannot even be called 'the Shard' anymore, it would be 'the Block' or the Brick, please let this be built as a Shard triangular glass as originally planned, the triangular one is exceptional, the block is ho-hum looks like some cheap ass skyscraper.
You'd be better off focussing on the press releases than the random spammers!! It is the shard, it is a shard shape, it is being built. These are the things you should focus on... not "me mate dave reckons it will be a box"
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #880
Levin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Shard construction contracts in place

10:09 | 25.06.08

By Deirdre Hipwell

The development of Europe’s tallest tower The Shard moved a step closer today after Irvine Sellar’s property company awarded a number of key construction contracts.

Sellar Property Group, on behalf of the Shard development consortium London Bridge Quarter, said four construction contracts covering piling, facades, steel and lifts had been agreed.

It said the four contracts amount to almost a third of the total build costs to the 310m high tower. The piling for the tower will be carried out by Stent and forms a major part of the construction element of the tower, will get underway towards the end of the year once demolition is complete. Scheldebouw has been awarded the facades contract while Corus/CBUK and Kone have been contracted to install the steel and lifts.

London Bridge Quarter comprises around 2m sq ft of mixed-use space including The Shard, the redevelopment of New London Bridge House and a piazza linking the two buildings.

Major milestone

Irvine Sellar, chairman of developer Sellar Property Group, said: ‘The placing of these contracts is in line with the programme and plan we established at the beginning of this year when the Qatari investor consortium, comprising Qatar Islamic Bank, QInvest, Qatar National Bank, and Barwa International, joined us as partners to create this iconic landmark building.’

Bernard Ainsworth, Sellar’s project managing director, said: ‘This is a major milestone in the Shard delivery programme. Intensive discussions are continuing with a number of other contractors including concrete and MEP.’

Mace is the main contractor at the Shard. Turner and Townsend is project director.
Europes tallest tower? Ok western euoropes tallest tower if it built in a few years. I know that Frankfurt have plans for a 360m tower. And of course Russia Tower u/c will be the tallest tower in Europe. Hope the Shard will be built soon London need this building.
Levin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass