daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2011, 07:18 PM   #9581
CompayEE
CompayEE

Likes (Received): 29

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...f-glass-london

London's Shard: a 'tower of power and riches' looking down on poverty

Renzo Piano's skyscraper, which will be Europe's tallest building, may provide a shot in the arm for London – or be merely a symbol of Qatari financial muscle

guardian.co.uk, Friday 30 December 2011
CompayEE no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:39 PM   #9582
gunslinger

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompayEE View Post

Renzo Piano's skyscraper, which will be Europe's tallest building, may provide a shot in the arm for London – or be merely a symbol of Qatari financial muscle

Quote:
The glinting Shard of Glass has become the tallest building in Europe, rising higher than Canary Wharf's main tower, Frankfurt's Commerzbank and the Ostankino television tower in Moscow.
Nice fact checking, Guardian, way to go. And that's besides the 'rich people' point that is summarized by this fella:

Quote:
"There has been a failure of imagination," said Nick Stanton, a Liberal Democrat and former leader of Southwark council. "There should be something in this building that the community uses on a daily basis instead of just walking around it. There should be something like a library in it …
... Because obviously construction company paying taxes from workers' salaries, equipment etc. just isn't enough. Hell, I have a better suggestion: every new skyscraper should provide free flats for homeless people - like, a third of a whole building - because while you can read all the books online nowadays the homeless keep suffering on the street! A whole new perspective on 'something in this building that the community uses on a daily basis instead of just walking around it' thing.
gunslinger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #9583
CompayEE
CompayEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Hell, I have a better suggestion: every new skyscraper should provide free flats for homeless people - like, a third of a whole building - because while you can read all the books online nowadays the homeless keep suffering on the street! A whole new perspective on 'something in this building that the community uses on a daily basis instead of just walking around it' thing.
This is not at all about 'homeless people' but about the community. They are not one and the same thing...

"Architecture is not neutral, it celebrates something," he said. "When we built the Pompidou Centre it celebrated rebellion against the idea that culture should be intimidating. The Shard will celebrate community, the sense of the city, the sense of exchange. I think the building will become loved in London because it is not arrogant. Normally towers are not loved because they shut down at 6pm and you have a black glass block. This is not about money or power. It is about surprise and joy."
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:22 PM   #9584
gunslinger

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
This is not at all about 'homeless people' but about the community. They are not one and the same thing...
It's the same thing where it matters - getting something for free from developer. Or, in other words, additional tax. Or, in other words again, less incentive to build skyscrapers. Because high-rises are huge and expensive, and if the so-called community expects (on behalf of this politician) a free donut to come with it every time, as a developer I would prefer to cut costs and build low, stay low, generate more revenue per invested pound. (Not that I am a developer.)

Quote:
"Architecture is not neutral, it celebrates something," he said. "When we built the Pompidou Centre it celebrated rebellion against the idea that culture should be intimidating. The Shard will celebrate community, the sense of the city, the sense of exchange. I think the building will become loved in London because it is not arrogant. Normally towers are not loved because they shut down at 6pm and you have a black glass block. This is not about money or power. It is about surprise and joy."
[trolling mode on] Normally towers are not loved because they have public libraries inside either.
gunslinger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 11:14 PM   #9585
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:

I presume the above quote is from Renzo Piano, if so he sure has had a change of heart since designing that bastard Pompidou Centre in Paris, one of THE MOST ARROGANT structures in that beautifuly city. It creates total discord with it's surroundings, I've always harboured a secret desire to blow it up one day, I hate it that much.
At least the Shard is a totally different concept and looks great on London's skyline.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:48 AM   #9586
lumberjack

Likes (Received): 2872

Ok so slightly shard related it's just visible left of the picture. Anyway happy new year to you all. Live from the Embankment, London!

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

Flickr
lumberjack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM   #9587
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

here here hapy new year everyone
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:40 PM   #9588
craig yang

Likes (Received): 4

Oh , It almost finished to build. I had long time not see this tower progress . Happy new year!
craig yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM   #9589
CompayEE
CompayEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Because high-rises are huge and expensive, and if the so-called community expects (on behalf of this politician) a free donut to come with it every time...Normally towers are not loved because they have public libraries inside either.Normally towers are not loved because they have public libraries inside either.
Loved by whom, exactly? And as what? Serving what specific purpose other than hosting corporate seats of financial power (often forbidding in their gloomy self-sufficiency) ?
I don't think that we should look down on public libraries as they are in many ways infinitely preferable to the hermetic corporate blandness that bars virtually everybody (except the likes of themselves) from accessing the architectural masterpiece that happens to host the premises of their business, stance that ultimately no-one benefits from.
At least in Shard's case you will be able, in theory, to book for yourself a weekend for two in Shangri-La and thus enjoy the Shard from within and access the magnificent vistas that it will presumaby offer to the viewer. (Plus there will definitely be a public viewing gallery that will be open to any vagrant, homeless or for that matter filthy rich/upper class person who will pay the modicum entry fee)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-above-city.do

Last edited by CompayEE; January 1st, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM   #9590
CompayEE
CompayEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpaul View Post
that bastard Pompidou Centre in Paris, one of THE MOST ARROGANT structures in that beautifuly city. It creates total discord with it's surroundings, I've always harboured a secret desire to blow it up one day, I hate it that much.
At least the Shard is a totally different concept and looks great on London's skyline.
The Pompidou Centre was 'spawned' by the specific cultural/political/aesthetic constraints of a decade (i.e. the seventies) that we often fail to properly (and retroactively) understand. I also happen to dislike the Beabourg Centre but I am also aware that it belongs to a decade that I am not entitled to retroactively lash out at simply because, biologically speaking, I did not belong to it...
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM   #9591
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

image hosted on flickr

by Baynes Media

image hosted on flickr

by Baynes Media

image hosted on flickr

by captainmcdan

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

by captainmcdan

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by SO143; January 1st, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM   #9592
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

yesterday:

image hosted on flickr

shard from westfield par axelferis, sur Flickr
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM   #9593
cgrassham
Burned

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

Why did I click on this link? The comments section is full of miserable NIMBY idiots!
cgrassham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM   #9594
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28336

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Great shots! thanks.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM   #9595
gerryskinner
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

epic

Zefire liked this post
gerryskinner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9596
lumberjack

Likes (Received): 2872

From Wimbledon today:

image hosted on flickr

DSC02426 by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC02420 by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC02417 by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

Hi-res version here

image hosted on flickr

Untitled_Panorama1 by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

Last edited by lumberjack; January 2nd, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
lumberjack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM   #9597
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

Wow, nice pics, makes London look like the modern city it is!
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9598
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

The Shard has not progressed for weeks, is that true?
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #9599
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

that's not true
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9600
scalatrava89

Likes (Received): 99

Defiantly not true. The cladding has progressed greatly. The glazing team have been working during the holiday. The glazing will go close to the current steel level before the Spire is finished.
scalatrava89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass