daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #961
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

Thanks wjfox for clearing that up.

Dequal, interesting story.

Wjfox, forgive me my flawed english, but what does WTF stand for? Or is this another nickname for The London Bridge Tower?

Thanks in advance.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #962
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

It stands for What the ****. As if you didn't know! We're getting closer to this starting construction all the time, it will be a day of dancing banana's when this starts.
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #963
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

There are still 2 years until the core rises. To be honest, I wish people would stop bumping this thread all the time.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #964
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

I know what the words mean. I just didn't know the abbreviation. But thanks anyway.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #965
amnesia
iLoveQatar.net

Likes (Received): 0

I'm on the team bringing this to life.

I'm so proud that Qatar is a part of this historical project.

The five groups involved are Qatar National Bank, Qatar Islamic Bank, Q-Invest, QIA and Sellars
- The fastest growing airline: Qatar Airways (5 stars)
- Largest sports dome in the world
- World's first underground football field
- World's largest LED screen
- One of the safest countries in the world!
- Richest country in the world!
- Building the tallest building in EUROPE called The Shard in London!

iLoveQatar.net <-- Cost of Living, Visas, Safety Info, Tips on Moving, Facts, Pictures, Videos, and more!

Last edited by amnesia; August 20th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
amnesia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM   #966
cubix

Is this the longest running supertall project in the history of high rises,was it like first concieved in the late 90,s or something??whats with the delay,is it the same when you build infastructure and other construction projects cause if thats the case the british economy should be on its death bed by now.
cubix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM   #967
Levelup
Just one higher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubix View Post
Is this the longest running supertall project in the history of high rises,was it like first concieved in the late 90,s or something??whats with the delay,is it the same when you build infastructure and other construction projects cause if thats the case the british economy should be on its death bed by now.
Our government are working hard on that one. They should have our economy devastated very shortly
Levelup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #968
MelbourneMaverick

Likes (Received): 3

bullshit.
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM   #969
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubix View Post
ohh,for ****s sake.
Old August 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #970
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
I'm on the team bringing this to life.

I'm so proud that Qatar is a part of this historical project.

The five groups involved are Qatar National Bank, Qatar Islamic Bank, Q-Invest, QIA and Sellars
Very cool! You make sure this happens now
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #971
twilight_2008

Atleast this will be up for the Olympics, I don't think a lot of people who are excited about the London games really understand how different London will look come two thousand and twelve. I agree that this thread should be dormant until it starts construction.
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #972
wazcaster
Sheffield Noob

Location: Longridge (Near Preston), UK, EU, Europe, Eurasia, World, Milky Way, Universe

From what I saw last week, the demolition is going well. From Tower Hill, the demolition was just still visible behind the building in front.

Edit: Heres the picture:

Flikr PaperScrapers

Last edited by wazcaster; August 25th, 2008 at 04:14 PM.
wazcaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #973
cubix

I'm serious,look at the amount of posts and views on the uk forum,all this before a block has been laid,talk about been over eager,dont get me wrong the design is superb,but gime a break.
cubix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #974
wazcaster
Sheffield Noob

Location: Longridge (Near Preston), UK, EU, Europe, Eurasia, World, Milky Way, Universe

Be fair cubix, the shard will be tallest building ever constructed in the UK. It'll be the first and only supertall and probably wont be surpassed for quite a long time. If it was the same in whichever country you live in, your forumers would be reacting in the same way. The Shard is a real landmark development and could open the doors for more skyscrapers in an area of London that so far has none (Southwark that is, I know the City has two).

Flikr PaperScrapers
wazcaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #975
twilight_2008

This will no doubt lead the way to more super talls in London.
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #976
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Don't forget it's been an ongoing saga for the best part of a decade, what with planning obstacles, then funding problems etc etc. so of course there has been much chatter about it in the UK forum.
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #977
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 679

london bridge + tower bridge = London Bridge Tower, all sounds the same

cant fight with the british, looks ok.....

Last edited by GAR3TH; August 27th, 2008 at 06:51 AM.
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #978
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/News/2008/09...or_client.html

Mace set to discover if price on Shard of Glass is right for client

The developer on the Shard of Glass scheme in London will decide by the beginning of next month whether Mace's latest price to build the tower is good enough.

Mace is due to put in its quote for the job this week - believed to be around £400 million on a fixed-price contract - with a decision expected to be made at a board meeting of client Teighmore early next month.

The take-it-or-leave-it offer is the third time Mace has come up with a price on the job - after being forced to amend its original figures when Teighmore sounded out Laing O'Rourke last autumn to come up with an amount that met its budget.

At £400 million, the number is at least £50 million more than the £350 million widely believed to be Mace's price first time around.

But it is understood this is down from the cost earlier this year, which sources said had escalated to £450 million.

The bid is being submitted to Bernard Ainsworth, the man in charge of the whole development in which the Shard sits - London Bridge Quarter - as well as project manager Turner & Townsend.

One source said: "They will be making some sort of decision by early October.

"They've spent so much on demolition already, I can't see it not going ahead."

Teighmore has already asked steelwork contractor Cleveland Bridge and cladding firm Scheldebouw to lock down prices for their respective packages ahead of work beginning in earnest next year.

CBUK has begun ordering the first amount of the required 12,000 tonnes of steel from Corus in order to reserve capacity.

Mace's latest bid comes after months of negotiations to get prices on some of the key subcontract packages down on the 310 m-high building which will go up above London Bridge railway station.

John Doyle has been lined up to carry out the concrete work, which carries a price tag of £50 million over 30 months.

The M&E contract has also caused Teighmore - which is made up of four Qatari banks and Sellar Property Group - problems. Hotchkiss and Phoenix are understood to be lined up for the split deal.

One source said: "Mace has kept shifting around £15 million worth of work between packages. It's been more of a logistics thing than about saving money.

"I think what Teighmore wants is a set price, rather than needing to know what the price is."

Piling firm Stent is due to start work on the job at the beginning of next year once Keltbray has completed demolition and groundworks. The building is due to be finished by March 2012.

Analysis: Rejection of bid will raise fresh doubts

By David Rogers

It was nearly eight years ago that Bovis Lend Lease was appointed to project manage construction of the Shard.

A lot has happened since - Wembley Stadium got built; London won the right to host the Olympics - but the Shard has resolutely refused to come out of the ground.

Yes, the building it will replace is being torn down and subbies are finally being appointed to key packages. But no one is craning their necks to peer skywards. Not yet anyway.

While it might not be the end of the line for the job if Mace's bid gets turned down, the consequences of such a decision would lead more and more to question whether, after nearly a decade in gestation, the thing ever gets off the ground.

Teighmore wants it built by 2012 and it's easy to see why. The eyes of the world will be on the capital later that summer and the Shard will be a stand-out structure. It would be great if it got built.

Author: David Rogers. News Editor
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #979
jrdollesin

nice post, i'm just new here, and i found the contents rich
jrdollesin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #980
damian89

Likes (Received): 4

For me it is a bit too similar to Russia Tower :P
damian89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass