daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #10461
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertect View Post
More fog and sunlight effects this morning, though sadly I only had my phone with me and a meeting to get to.

It's got wings
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #10462
beaky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 70

the composition and the red buses; there's a bit the photographic auteur about mr cybertect. keep up the good work.

image hosted on flickr
beaky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #10463
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Finally the last bit!
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #10464
Peregrin Tuk
Numenore Last Warriors.

Likes (Received): 7576

awesome!!!!!

What about second breakfast??

Always remember: In Relativity we use Greek letters and in Quantum Mechanics we use Namekusei!
Peregrin Tuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #10465
Polity

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertect View Post
More fog and sunlight effects this morning, though sadly I only had my phone with me and a meeting to get to.

That guy on the bicycle in the right corner is my new hero.

It's unfortunate that this building can't be located in a place like Hong Kong or Singapore. Places where it would intergrate better in the surroundings (and where there is more sunlight since this building deserves alot of that). Besides, this building stands out to much in its current location.
Polity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #10466
hugh

Likes (Received): 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polity View Post
... It's unfortunate that this building can't be located in a place like Hong Kong or Singapore. Places where it would intergrate better in the surroundings (and where there is more sunlight since this building deserves alot of that). Besides, this building stands out to much in its current location.
This post gives lie to that old estate agents' adage - location, weather, location. Standing out? No, we can't have that.

Last edited by hugh; March 16th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #10467
Ion Cannon

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polity View Post
That guy on the bicycle in the right corner is my new hero.

It's unfortunate that this building can't be located in a place like Hong Kong or Singapore. Places where it would intergrate better in the surroundings (and where there is more sunlight since this building deserves alot of that). Besides, this building stands out to much in its current location.
Hopefully with the economy picking up somewhat and investment still seeing London as a safe haven it will have some neighbours soon. Three Spires also by Sellar would be a great start.
Ion Cannon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #10468
Polity

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
This post gives lie to that old estate agents' adage - location, weather, location. Standing out? No, we can't have that.
Don't take me wrong, its a matter of personal preference. (FYI: I'm a big fan of 'the fountain head' by Ayn Rand). I love quality when i see it but in this case, i find the building is misplaced.
Polity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #10469
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 706

fail cladding ...
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #10470
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post
fail cladding ...
I agree that they should have stuck with the smaller glass panes like in the renders, but in fact I think it has worked out rather well. On a cloudy day it looks moody and contemplative, but on a sunny day as you can see it is sleek and attractive. I think they got it just right in terms of prominence: in such a position it's hard to make it look flowing and seamless with the skyline without making it rather nothingy, but I think Piano managed it. I also think it would be completely wasted in a cluster, you need to be able to see all of it for the full effect. London is not a city where you can have a huge single cluster, its monuments are spread out over a large area: it has two skyscraper clusters, plus St Paul's, Westminster, Wembley, St George's Wharf and the Telecom tower... a Singapore style megacluster is not right for the old world, so the positioning of the Shard is perfect imo: just close enough so that it can be seen with the other skyscrapers, but in keeping with the spread of London's monuments. In fact it's rather unique for such a huge skyscraper to be so prominent, that's something that makes it completely unique: the only comparable building is the Ryugyong hotel, which is a prime example of the mistakes that the Shard avoided.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #10471
cybertect

Likes (Received): 182

As promised, here's some more photos from yesterday, with a few more that I've not posted here to be found in my Shard Gallery if you're a glutton for punishment

Without any further ado, on to the pics...

Queen Elizabeth Street

The sunrays from the morning were still evident even after noon; here's a closer look (more of that later)

East and North side glazing gaps closed and another panel about to go in

I then hopped on a 343 bus down to the southern end of Borough High Street to grab a few shots of The Shard together with Borough's parish church of St George The Martyr, designed by John Price in 1735.

Look carefully at those and you can see those rays streaming down the side of The Shard. Well, they were beaming very well, with their angles moving around as I proceeded up Borough High Street

View of the spire from the South West

Closer in. I think that's a BMU arm peeking out on the corner.

War memorial on Borough High Street, with the Shard as a backdrop

Southwark Street

And finally, a quick snap from platform 15 at London Bridge station just before I jumped on the train home in the evening

Old March 16th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #10472
bandy
because im worth it!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
fail cladding ...
haha! Good joke!

Remember the cladding is filthy, plus there's a layer of plastic film on the inside of each window, on top of that the floors haven't had their fit-outs yet, each floor has nothing to bounce the incoming light off thus making the shard slightly dull looking, you wait till each floor has had its fit-out and the walls and ceilings are painted white, the shard will be transformed.
bandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #10473
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Excuse my horrific art skills, but here's an idea of how much further we have to go, using Cybertect's picture and the official render:

Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #10474
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Quote:
fail cladding ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandy View Post
haha! Good joke!
please forgive him because he is a french from paris
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #10475
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7186

Almost there for something that was thought of in a Berlin restaurant 12 years ago to finally be completed.
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10476
Sister Ray
Just like Sister Ray said

Likes (Received): 483

Amazing rays!
Sister Ray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #10477
DominoCity
Citybuilder

Likes (Received): 7

I really love that building and I really love London more now
DominoCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #10478
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7186

by lumberjack.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #10479
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 706

Quote:
please forgive him because he is a french from paris
No ... french from Toulouse and i dont care about rivality between london and Paris ...
And i criticize lots of more Paris or my own town than London.

Quote:
I agree that they should have stuck with the smaller glass panes like in the renders, but in fact I think it has worked out rather well. On a cloudy day it looks moody and contemplative, but on a sunny day as you can see it is sleek and attractive. I think they got it just right in terms of prominence: in such a position it's hard to make it look flowing and seamless with the skyline without making it rather nothingy, but I think Piano managed it. I also think it would be completely wasted in a cluster, you need to be able to see all of it for the full effect. London is not a city where you can have a huge single cluster, its monuments are spread out over a large area: it has two skyscraper clusters, plus St Paul's, Westminster, Wembley, St George's Wharf and the Telecom tower... a Singapore style megacluster is not right for the old world, so the positioning of the Shard is perfect imo: just close enough so that it can be seen with the other skyscrapers, but in keeping with the spread of London's monuments. In fact it's rather unique for such a huge skyscraper to be so prominent, that's something that makes it completely unique: the only comparable building is the Ryugyong hotel, which is a prime example of the mistakes that the Shard avoided.
I hope you are right. But it seems this cladding is too much transparent and not enought reflecting ...

Last edited by moustache; March 16th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #10480
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

London needed this and it got it. well done.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass