daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #1081
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

By the way... I was there the other day and allow me to stress how much in order a renovation of the actual station would be (at least its entrance)...

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #1082
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

£425m pricetag agreed for Shard

building.co.uk
19 December 2008

By Sarah Richardson

The developer of London Bridge’s Shard tower is understood to have agreed a price of about £425m for the scheme with main contractor Mace

The sum is a saving of about £10m on the fixed-price bid that Mace submitted two months ago, but is still about £75m above the original estimate of £350m. An agreement would be the culmination of months of talks.

A source close to the project said: “They’ve basically reached agreement on the price. The signatures will be finalised within the next three weeks.”

The news emerged as investment company Qatari Diar announced it had agreed to provide finance for London Bridge Quarter, the joint venture body of Sellar Properties and four Qatari backers that is developing the 310m-high scheme. Qatari Diar will not take an equity stake, but will sit on the board of the organisation, which replaced Teighmore as developer after two original backers were bought out in January. Construction is expected to start next year.

“The signatures will be finalised within the next three weeks source close to the project”

Meanwhile, Mace announced that four of its senior board directors would be leaving the firm at the end of the year. Gary France, Steve Anderson, Mike Atkinson and Steve Booth will leave as part of the “succession planning” that followed its management buyout in 2001.

Stephen Pycroft, chief executive, said: “They have amassed more than 60 years’ service to Mace and it is time for the next generation to take up the challenge.”

• It is still unclear whether a restructuring within Transport for London (TfL), the Shard’s anchor tenant, could scupper its deal to take space in the building. A copy of a letter sent by TfL commissioner Peter Hendy to staff last week, seen by Building, says the organisation will conduct a “review” of all office locations in a bid to “reduce overhead costs” as it cuts staff.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #1083
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

anyone thinking this tower will be impacted by economy like the chicago spire? especially NEXT YEAR?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1084
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
anyone thinking this tower will be impacted by economy like the chicago spire? especially NEXT YEAR?
No, along with Heron Tower this is one of the towers pretty much guaranteed to be rising in London next year.

Funding is secured, construction is starting in January. See the article I posted above...
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1085
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28365

Good to hear that. Plans like this need to go through despite lesser economics times. It will be ready for business as soon as the crisis is over.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #1086
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

if the construction is planned for january they need to speed up the clearing of the site pretty fast first.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1087
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10291

It fits London really nicely. Very sleek and modern. I like it.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM   #1088
chjbolton
chjbolton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Good to hear that. Plans like this need to go through despite lesser economics times. It will be ready for business as soon as the crisis is over.

I couldn't agree more! How can investors not think that the situation will be turned around by the time their buildings open. Spire, Moma Expansion, Waterview... Couldn't these towers be going ahead with a bi of optimism? This crisis seems to be feeding itself with unnecessary panic.
That is something I don't understand... But then again, if I was so clever I guess I'd be a millionaire by now!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM   #1089
GDL LORD

Likes (Received): 0

i lived in london the last year and i never imagined to see this kind of tower in london, but i feel very glad because i love london and in the future i want to back to live there, and obviusly for my is a pleasure to will see everyday this precious tower.
GDL LORD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #1090
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
I couldn't agree more! How can investors not think that the situation will be turned around by the time their buildings open. Spire, Moma Expansion, Waterview... Couldn't these towers be going ahead with a bi of optimism? This crisis seems to be feeding itself with unnecessary panic.
That is something I don't understand... But then again, if I was so clever I guess I'd be a millionaire by now!
well construction costs are huge, and most banks have stopped significant lending as their balance sheets are constrained by the requirement to hold more Tier 1 capital. They have so many other loans on their books both in standard corporate instruments and commercial property that could go bad, that its about self preservation and portfolio management of existing portfolios instead of growth. The investment banks who might have led funding and then syndicated debt in the secondary markets are in complete carnage and therefore the best source of funding seems to be petrodollars from the Middle East (look at the Shard, Heron Tower and the Pinnacle, all backed by Middle Eastern monies). Second best avenue would be pension funds and long-term investment trusts who are cash rich and who diversify their investments across all asset classes on a long-term yield basis.

In my humble opinion. But whey! the Shard is starting to cook on gas. Good news for all skyscraper lovers.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #1091
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 7

They really need to get started, I can't wait to see this tower finnished by the opening ceremony of the 2012 olympics!
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1092
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

I doubt every component of London Olympics will be complete by the summer of 2012, especially the Athlete's village and the athletes may have to sleep in the caravans. Who knows...
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #1093
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
I doubt every component of London Olympics will be complete by the summer of 2012, especially the Athlete's village and the athletes may have to sleep in the caravans. Who knows...
Its certaintly seeming like that, isnt it? I'm just hoping that this will be there to balance out the horrible travesty of a stadium that their building, blegh...
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #1094
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

I'm just hoping to see some new construction update photos from the demolishion site.
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1095
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

i work close to the olympic village and the construction is moving fast , the concrete bases are being poured before xmas
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #1096
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12211

Any further word on the London Bridge Tower?
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #1097
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Funding is fully in place,demolition of current building is nearly at ground level if not at ground level alreadty and piling will commence real soon.So expect to see some real movement on this in 2009
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #1098
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12211

Thanks! That is good news.... are all city building permits in place?
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #1099
chjbolton
chjbolton

Quote:

You Brits are always so bloody pessimistic about your own chances!
You just had the best GB team results in 50 years and you still doubt that you won't be able to finish on time even though the Greeks did EVEN after winning Euro 04.
Come on! Grab a Union Jack and sing us a God Save thingy!
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #1100
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Thanks! That is good news.... are all city building permits in place?
yeah everything is ready to rock and roll
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass