daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #11081
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2918

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
We don't... that would be the French.... but then many countries use the French as an insult.
For God's sake, why do you constantly pick on us...? I don't know how old you are but once again, you're so childish man. Give my country a break & get a brain at the same time, it really is useful nowadays you know... Ravale ton amertume, ton "complexe du petit zizi", et cesse ton obsession vis à vis de tes 'voisins' d'outre-Manche, car une petite confidence entre nous, eux n'en ont rien à carrer de toi et d'une bonne partie de tes semblables.

Next time, stick to architecture or come & join the relevant threads to carry on with your bashing, we won't be surprised there as you're a 'regular customer'...

Well, I had found some very interesting stuff & wanted to share it with you guys, but finally, I'll do without.

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #11082
hugh

Likes (Received): 1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Just a shame it, too, has fallen victim to the British habit of tacky nicknames for tall buildings.
If anything, the name is rather lyrical ... poetical.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #11083
cybertect

Likes (Received): 182

FWIW I'm one of those Englishmen who has no problem with France, the French, or even Parisians (which is more than can be said for some Brétons of my acquaintance ).

Londoners seem have a bit of a similar reputation in the UK to Parisians for being aloof and rude, so perhaps I feel a bit of solidarity with them. Maybe it's just the burden that the denizens of a large, capital city have to bear. As with most stereotypes, once you scratch the surface, it turns out to be a myth.

If I wasn't in London, I'd quite happily live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
Ravale ton amertume, ton "complexe du petit zizi", et cesse ton obsession vis à vis de tes 'voisins' d'outre-Manche, car une petite confidence entre nous, eux n'en ont rien à carrer de toi et d'une bonne partie de tes semblables.
C'est Facile de tous nous mettre en tas,
C'est Facile de tous marcher au pas.
C'est Facile, mais moi je ne veux pas,
Et je me dis ma foi,
Mais qu'est ce qu'je fous là?

Alors, aux Parisiens...

Anyhow, back on topic : a post-luncheon bonus pic. assembled from 51 individual frames.

image hosted on flickr

Shard Joiner - Tooley Street by cybertect, on Flickr

* en vérite, je pensais d'abord aux paroles de Tu Vas Me Manquer ("Sur ce long collier d'amertume") mais les mots de C'est Facile me semblait mieux.

Last edited by cybertect; April 11th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
cybertect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #11084
hugh

Likes (Received): 1248

LondonFox, you're a bloody idiot. Your petty nationalism is boring and ridiculous - has no place on an international architectural forum.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #11085
olidobbs

Likes (Received): 0

Saw the Shard on Monday coming out of London on the train it fully dominates the skyline.
olidobbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #11086
M'sFan

Likes (Received): 221

Londoners! You've been lying to the world to keep us away! It's sunny and beautiful in most of these photos!
M'sFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #11087
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2918

@ Cybertect, j'ai bien dit "une bonne partie de tes semblables", autrement dit une certaine catégorie de britanniques (bashers crétins), je ne visais pas mes amis anglais en général (ceux sains d'esprit) que j'apprécie, mais ton français étant excellent (félicitations au passage, tu nous avais caché ça lol), je suppose que tu avais saisi la nuance.

Very funny this bit of 'C'est facile', & so true...

I've been following the London thread for a while now & do appreciate your great pics/explanations (and those of many other contributors).

The above pics of Shard are fab. On a cloudy day, its cladding is amazing, not to mention the reflections... Definitely an iconic supertall, very beautiful. I'm also happy to hear that GUY'S is finally getting its new cladding (I prefered the scales looking one a lot more though), but we'll see how it stands out.

PS: sorry guys for the off topic stuff/bit in french.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #11088
Good Karma
Live and let live

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
OMG this building never seems to amaze me. It looks great in all sorts of weather.
Good Karma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #11089
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7490

Quote:
The Shard: the only way is up

After more than three years of watching its relentless ascent, Londoners could be forgiven for failing to have registered that on March 30, the Shard finally stopped growing. The last piece of steel was fitted to the tower’s crown by a trio of site operatives known to history as Daz, G-man and Mr B, bringing it to a height of 309.6768 metres – a figure that varies ever so slightly in response to changes in temperature.

That is a full 75 metres taller than One Canada Square, the tower at London’s Canary Wharf that has been Britain’s tallest since its completion in 1991. When work on the Shard finishes at the beginning of next year it will not only claim that title but that of tallest building across the entire European Union.

Unsurprisingly, given its prominence, few recent buildings have proved more divisive. For its fans, the Shard is a statement of London’s confidence – of the fact that this ancient city has now grown into a thrusting metropolis, unburdened by its past, and with nothing to fear from the likes of Frankfurt and Shanghai. They argue, too, that there is much that is remarkable about the design beyond the matter of its height.

Love it or loathe it, that certainly is true. It is the work of the Italian architect Renzo Piano, perhaps best known for designing Paris’s stridently mechanistic Pompidou Centre with his former partner, Richard Rogers. The Shard, however, belongs to a different tradition of modern architecture – one that draws its imagery not from industry but from the organic world.

In the early decades of the last century, a group of German architects, centred on the utopian visionary Bruno Taut, became enamoured by the idea of directing new developments in glass technology towards the creation of buildings of crystalline form and often gargantuan scale.

They built almost nothing, but schemes such as Taut’s fantastical proposal of 1919 to create a city in the Alps constructed entirely of glass continue to resonate in the imaginations of architects today. The sparkling, craggy spire that now looms over London Bridge station could have been plucked straight from one of Taut’s expressionistic watercolours.

The fact that the Shard’s footprint shrinks from floor to floor has major implications not only for its appearance but for its organisation, too. Different sizes of floor invite different uses. The bottom third of the building – where the floors are broadest – happily accommodates office space, but above that restaurants, a hotel, a spa, and some of London’s most desirable apartments are being slotted in. The public viewing gallery at the very top is expected to attract more than two million visitors each year. While Piano’s claim that the Shard is not a tower but “a vertical city” might smack of hyperbole, it is undeniable that in its mix of uses, his building differs radically from any built in the UK before.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/a...way-is-up.html
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #11090
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3625

SEXY AND I KNOW IT

image hosted on flickr

#96 - Shard London Bridge by Cliff_R, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tower Bridge Series 09 - Gathering Storm by jzakariya, on Flickr

Last edited by SO143; April 14th, 2012 at 03:56 AM.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #11091
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

it looks great on rather rainy days, IMO it looks bad on sunny days
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #11092
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'sFan View Post
Londoners! You've been lying to the world to keep us away! It's sunny and beautiful in most of these photos!
London's climate is not as bad as most foreigners believe and of course the days of the famous "smog" are long gone, but it is very variable, can feel like Summer one day and then Winter the next!
But this thread is about the "Shard" so will conclude that I think it is one of the more interesting and better looking new supertalls being built at the moment and will become a real London landmark,no doubt about that. More elegant than No. 1 World Trade Centre New York which has too much bulk.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #11093
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7490

by william_98.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #11094
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4244

I wonder why the rays are not parallel to each other

image hosted on flickr
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #11095
cybertect

It's been asked about on the London thread

The 'burst' is an effect of perspective, the rays themselves would be/are parallel.

It's exactly the same as the traditional sunrays noted by artists like Turner

http://realitybitesartblog.blogspot....-deriding.html

You see the same thing when the sun breaks through clouds from above, even though rays from the sun are about as close to parallel as you can get.

image hosted on flickr

Thames Sunlight by cybertect, on Flickr
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #11096
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Russia is an Eurasian country. It does cover both.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #11097
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3625

and how does it relate to the shard?
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #11098
cybertect

Last update for the day

Spire with the derrick crane on the SW corner

spot the guy abseiling his way up to the peak of the south side...

At ground level, the most significant development has been the hoarding around Gate 1 being taken down and replaced by a lower, moveable metal fence. The site entrance turnstiles for construction workers have gone with it.

giving us a better look at the escalator

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #11099
cybertect

Sorry, I lied about it being the last - I forgot this photo from this morning.

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #11100
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertect View Post
Sorry, I lied about it being the last - I forgot this photo from this morning.

Great pictures my friend! Love the Shard

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYBOY75
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass