daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #11881
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28209

could be quite windy up there if these gaps are not closed.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #11882
ParadiseLost

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwotci View Post
If someone jumps from that gap, he will fall onto the sloped surface of the building and slide down to his death.

Might be quite fun, actually.
Well I'm convinced!
ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #11883
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shard Baby View Post
Hopefully they can get the hoist taken down and the building fully cladded before the opening on July 5.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #11884
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

It wouldn't surprise me if at sometime in the future it will become necessary to to seal off those interior areas at the top of the building when weathering causes damage (which it inevitably will) and wind blown debris starts making a mess. There's also a few birds which will fly that high that are seen atop New York skycrapers quite often. In any case if that ever happens it can be dealt with without disrupting the design. This has been one of my favorite projects in the world and the design is bold, modern, and is certain to be associated with London in the same way that the Eiffel Tower is associated with Paris. It's a beautiful addition to the London skyline.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #11885
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

People will hear the word "London" and instantly think of the Shard. Like how the words New York instantly remind people of ESB and The Eiffel Tower for Paris.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #11886
cybertect

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy
It wouldn't surprise me if at sometime in the future it will become necessary to to seal off those interior areas at the top of the building when weathering causes damage (which it inevitably will) and wind blown debris starts making a mess. There's also a few birds which will fly that high that are seen atop New York skycrapers quite often. In any case if that ever happens it can be dealt with without disrupting the design. This has been one of my favorite projects in the world and the design is bold, modern, and is certain to be associated with London in the same way that the Eiffel Tower is associated with Paris. It's a beautiful addition to the London skyline.
Talking of the Eiffel Tower, they don't seem to have too many problems with an open structure at the top... or the middle or the bottom.
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #11887
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

that because its completely open ,so any litter or rain would get washed away ,the whole structure is steel lattice work so theres no built up areas to collect rubbish .
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #11888
cybertect

From Wapping, first thing this morning: View Large

image hosted on flickr

Butlers Wharf Panorama by cybertect, on Flickr
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #11889
cybertect

BTW, glazing has started going on to the lower level canopies on Joiner Street

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #11890
Hurks010

Likes (Received): 0

I am following this forum for a couple of years and I have seen this building grow over the past 2 years and I must say, I am shocked by the result and itís a shame for London. It would have been great for Shanghai, Dubai or Singapore, but not for London. To create a harmonious skyline there should be a compact city with buildings of several heights all closely together. Tall ones, middle height ones and a lot of smaller ones and with one building as the jewel in the crown, like the old Twins in NYC and now the new WTC. This one should be the jewel for London, but it isnít, because London doesnít have a skyline at all. Itís just a bunch of buildings randomly put together on a wide area and just for prestigious reasons the city would like to have the tallest building in Europe! Itís a pity for the historic buildings such as the Big Ben, the Tower Bridge etc. And the race for the tallest building will always be won by Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan or whatever oil/gas republic. Pull down this one before the Olympics will start.
Hurks010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #11891
ThatOneGuy

Old June 26th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #11892
Jamsterx
London...that is all

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurks010 View Post
I am following this forum for a couple of years and I have seen this building grow over the past 2 years and I must say, I am shocked by the result and itís a shame for London. It would have been great for Shanghai, Dubai or Singapore, but not for London. To create a harmonious skyline there should be a compact city with buildings of several heights all closely together. Tall ones, middle height ones and a lot of smaller ones and with one building as the jewel in the crown, like the old Twins in NYC and now the new WTC. This one should be the jewel for London, but it isnít, because London doesnít have a skyline at all. Itís just a bunch of buildings randomly put together on a wide area and just for prestigious reasons the city would like to have the tallest building in Europe! Itís a pity for the historic buildings such as the Big Ben, the Tower Bridge etc. And the race for the tallest building will always be won by Russia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan or whatever oil/gas republic. Pull down this one before the Olympics will start.
Wow....just wow
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #11893
Dragoona
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

sad troll
Dragoona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #11894
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurks010 View Post
This one should be the jewel for London, but it isnít, because London doesnít have a skyline at all. Itís just a bunch of buildings randomly put together on a wide area
And it always has been. That is the very nature of London's skyline, it has always been a hotch-potch of low buildings with huge spires and other buildings popping out in random places. If you don't like that, fair enough, but you can't say it doesn't fit with the rest of London.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #11895
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 912

by Robert Schellenberger http://www.******************/search...splay=28309443
Uploaded with imageshack.us
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #11896
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

Hurks010 wrote:
Quote:
Pull down this one before the Olympics will start.
I don't like to criticize others who want to express their opinions but for a first post I don't think you're off to a very good start. Myself and others have mentioned the Eiffel Tower which everyone associates with Paris but when it was originally built there was a lot of opposition to such an unusual and massive structure in the heart of that beautiful city but over time it became extremely popular and and is widely regarded as a magnificent acheivement. London has a number of rather unusual designs for some of the newer buildings but it's created a unique skyline with it's own character and I think most of us have also grown to appreciate The Shard as well. And no, I don't think they'll be tearing it down before the Olympics.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #11897
cybertect

Here's a few pics taken earlier this evening, mostly the lower level canopies on Joiner Street, which are nearing completion.

Old June 27th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #11898
ThatOneGuy

Nowadays I can't imagine London without the Shard...!
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11899
cybertect

There was a noticeable smell of new paint around the entrance to London Bridge station this morning - looked like the white columns had received a fresh coat overnight.

Some pics taken first thing:

This chap was cleaning the ones on the western side

The Shard and The Place

Hays Lane

Old June 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #11900
TheWalker
TheWalker

Likes (Received): 22

The Shard is so massive and dominating! I cannot believe that it is only the 59th tallest building in the world!!!!
TheWalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass