daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #12341
Alex50

Likes (Received): 1

It is a wonderful tower and a very nice addition to London skyline. I wish in Paris we were as open minded as in London and we could see something as iconic as that rising soon. To think that the highest tower in Paris is Tour Montparnasse, one of the ugliest high rise I have ever seen
I love London, best city in the world!
Alex50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #12342
ory26
BANNED

edit

Last edited by ory26; January 21st, 2016 at 12:39 PM.
ory26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #12343
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex50 View Post
It is a wonderful tower and a very nice addition to London skyline. I wish in Paris we were as open minded as in London and we could see something as iconic as that rising soon. To think that the highest tower in Paris is Tour Montparnasse, one of the ugliest high rise I have ever seen
Tour First
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #12344
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Not ugly whatsoever. Just not quite as creative as that London Shard. Besides think of all that classic old architecture Paris has plus the Eiffel Tower.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #12345
Alex50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
Not ugly whatsoever. Just not quite as creative as that London Shard. Besides think of all that classic old architecture Paris has plus the Eiffel Tower.

I guess it depends on personal taste. I find the Tour Montparnasse ugly. Others will find it if not ugly at best uninspiring.

We can produce in our days nice glassy buildings with interesting and daring designs. i.e. the Shard. I would like to see an iconic, inspiring skyscraper in Paris. Ok we have the Tour de la Défense, but its not within Paris.

There are talks of having the Tour Montparnasse dismentled. I hope it will push through. And that it will be replaced by a tower that shows some level of creativity and originality.
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #12346
Alex50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ory26 View Post
The higtest tower in Paris is tour First, 231 m!
Yes London so open minded, it took their 10 years to have the shard!

Tour First is not in Paris! Its in the outskirt of Paris. I am talking of Paris intra-muros.
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #12347
potto

Likes (Received): 9114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ory26 View Post
The higtest tower in Paris is tour First, 231 m!
Yes London so open minded, it took their 10 years to have the shard!
Not quite, it received planning permission in 2002, a year after the redesign was revealed (the original taller plan was told to go back to the drawing board).

There was a strong conservative backlash led by the usual conservative bodies... English Heritage and the Royal Parks (the Westminster council puppets) leading the attack with Prince Charles being somewhat vocal but not as vocal as he has been in the past. They had the side of the local London paper, the conservative Evening Standard.

Then it was called in for a public inquiry (highest level of planning usually required for things like new airports and Nuclear Power Stations) that took a year and the development given full approval in 2003. We can thank Russell Harris QC for the result

The rest of the time was taken up with waiting for existing building lease to expire, financing issues and demolition.

Construction began in March 2009
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #12348
ory26
BANNED

edit

Last edited by ory26; January 21st, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
ory26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #12349
potto

Likes (Received): 9114

my point is that sure there was hostility and close-mindedness toward the shard, but ultimately what caused the "10 year wait" were the legalities of waiting for existing leases to run out and the struggle of financing such a complex project.

Certainly it was the financing that nearly killed the project. Same thing could easily happen in Paris as the economics currently dont stack up so favourably with super-talls in Europe with its democratic capitalist and strong legal systems combined with a tight urban fabric.

All this makes the existence of the Shard all the more remarkable.

Last edited by potto; August 13th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #12350
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

shame this beast was not in the closing ceremony last night like the other london land marks .
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #12351
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Whoa! there's little remarkable about this one ... what happened to highrise design around London, it had been looking good (for some time)? Walls are apparent beyond its glass curtain, shouldn't this spire be named the Shroud?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #12352
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
I guess it depends on personal taste. I find the Tour Montparnasse ugly. Others will find it if not ugly at best uninspiring.

We can produce in our days nice glassy buildings with interesting and daring designs. i.e. the Shard. I would like to see an iconic, inspiring skyscraper in Paris. Ok we have the Tour de la Défense, but its not within Paris.

There are talks of having the Tour Montparnasse dismentled. I hope it will push through. And that it will be replaced by a tower that shows some level of creativity and originality.
The Tour Montparnasse is totally out of scale for its situation and should be demolished not least because it's base must be one of the ugliest most depressing places of any great city I have ever seen. 19th c Prison buildings have better esthetics than this shit.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #12353
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

image hosted on flickr

Old & New by flyingdodo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Shard by djking, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

What could've been by James Gourley Photography, on Flickr

Last edited by SO143; August 14th, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #12354
hugh

Likes (Received): 1230

The slagging off of the Tour Montparnasse lacks context. At the time it was built it was one of the tallest buildings in Europe. In terms of Gallic modernism its contemporaries were Citroen Maserati, (Anglo-French) Concorde. It was a declaration of the new in Old Europe. By all means advocate its replacement if you don't like it (I happen to think it's a pretty good building), but give it its due.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #12355
Igor Antunov
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

It's very nice, ironically though, it's a poor man's Ryugyong.
Igor Antunov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #12356
hugh

Likes (Received): 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Antunov View Post
It's very nice, ironically though, it's a poor man's Ryugyong.
Yes, of course it is.
hugh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #12357
dsohfan

Likes (Received): 0

i always wonder who is the most creative ?
the architects or the jury that choose within a lot of projects ?
because it's such an easy thing for an architect to build an iconic tower ...
the difficulty is to have people that choose your iconic project , because i'm sure there was a lot of casual project in every architect competition , and maybe some are even more crazy than the shard ....

( but i don't know for the shard . it was a competition ? or the builder precisely wanted renzo piano to create this skyscraper ? )
dsohfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #12358
Elio di Angelis
Fight for progress!!!

Likes (Received): 62

Wonderful tower.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #12359
cnapan

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
Not quite, it received planning permission in 2002, a year after the redesign was revealed (the original taller plan was told to go back to the drawing board).

There was a strong conservative backlash led by the usual conservative bodies... English Heritage and the Royal Parks (the Westminster council puppets) leading the attack with Prince Charles being somewhat vocal but not as vocal as he has been in the past. They had the side of the local London paper, the conservative Evening Standard.

Then it was called in for a public inquiry (highest level of planning usually required for things like new airports and Nuclear Power Stations) that took a year and the development given full approval in 2003. We can thank Russell Harris QC for the result

The rest of the time was taken up with waiting for existing building lease to expire, financing issues and demolition.
I completely understand why there has been so much hostility towards tall buildings in the UK.

You only have to look at the utterly risible history of the tall buildings in the UK to see that the blame lies squarely at the feet of the architectural profession. There are a small handful of genuinely good tall buildings in this country - almost all of which have been built recently. The vast majority have been so bad that many have already been demolished, reclad, or are shortly to be so, after just a few decades.

The Shard and some of the other recent projects are starting to change attitudes to tall buildings. I welcome that, but let's not forget why there was so much hostility in the first place.

And let's not pretend Paris is any better. It is indeed a city of architectural treasures, but the second half of the 20th century has not been kind to the city, especially in the burbs.
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #12360
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Big fat blob ruins the picture

Still this picture makes London my favorite skyline in Europe
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
32 london bridge street, london, london bridge tower, renzo piano, southwark, the shard, the shard of glass