daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #20421
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstone View Post
How are workers getting up to the higher floors? Are there any make shift temporary internal elevators working at this point or do people ride the external freight elevators?

Thanks,
Bugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC View Post
There are no external freight elevators, they are used to carry people....freight goes on cranes...no?
The elevators on the West side are for people, those go only partway up. The rest of the way there are temp elevators inside.

The outside elevators on the East side are for freight, those go all the way up. On the HD cam you can see them unloading all kinds of stuff including window units.

The cranes are only for things too big/heavy for the elevators.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #20422
woodystill

Likes (Received): 1

I posted pages ago that as the building grows I would assume that it would also slow down at each time the core changes, how often does this happen? Does the core continually change or does it go 10 floors then change, 2 floors, 20?
and does it really change the pace at all?
woodystill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #20423
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtin View Post
What a load of crap talk there. Wasnt the former Windows on the World restaurant the highest grossing restaurant in the country in its last full year of business? Bloody Shame tbh.

But when you think about it, where would all the kitchen equipment (stove tops, ovens, fridge units) and tables and chairs go? wont the core of the building take most of the floor space up on those higher levels? considering the area size of this proposed restaurant is nearly half the floor area space of the former Window on the World restaurant. There would be a significant reduction of the amount of space. Maybe its not feasible to have a restaurant in that small configure of space possibly. All these questions. Maybe Zen could provide the floor diagrams for floor that the proposed resteraunt will be on. Floor 101 i think it is.
The core tapers as the building rises, since the core will be carrying a much smaller load at the upper floors. By reducing the core size, you get more square footage.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #20424
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Also the kitchen and various services would be housed in the core anyways.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #20425
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

I think high-floor restaurants aren't going to be on the menu (sorry) for supertalls, at least not in this country. Restaurants need their own passenger elevator, plus they have to bring up large supplies of food and send down large quantities of waste of all kinds, which necessitates their own freight elevator as well. When you consider what you can rent out an office with that kind of view, without the increased maintenance and fire insurance costs it doesn't make sense.

We've got a bunch of tall buildings here in Jersey City, almost all of them less than 20 years old. None of them have high floor restaurants despite having a great view of the Manhattan skyline. Even the W Hotel in Hoboken doesn't have one.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #20426
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

I unfortunately agree. Pittsburgh lost its restaurant at the top of the US Steel tower for that exact reason.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #20427
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

I ate at the View restaurant in the Marriot Hotel last week, but the whole view was blocked by other buildings, but man expensive it was.
I have never been to the Windows of the World but really ashame they don't restart a restaurant. Of course it's expensive but they can charge triple if not more to there costumers than other restaurants.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #20428
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

The CN Tower has a cafe and restaurant, but it also only has 5 public floors. It's also not an office tower with rentable space, as stated before.
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #20429
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Matt Wheatley

image hosted on flickr

1982Chris911 (Feb 22nd, 2011)

image hosted on flickr

francoise.fassin

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Happy Famous Artists - Bad Art for Bad People

image hosted on flickr

Hiltmon

image hosted on flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #20430
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Another monumental building is rising after a deadly storm - the 1wtc.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #20431
Method101

Likes (Received): 2

Freakin awesome pics guys! Makes me miss NYC even more, but great to be able to keep up to date, visually, with the rising of this beautiful tower, much props!
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #20432
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 26

So close to 7WTC, this is so exciting
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #20433
Dave84

Likes (Received): 13

can anyone give me a definitive answer on how many floors this building is going to have?
Just watched the fox report and the guy on there said 104 floors, but on this site it says 108? The actual building height not the spire will be the exact same height as the twin towers wont it? regardless of how many floors right ?

Last edited by Dave84; March 11th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Dave84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #20434
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

That second to last picture... Epic. Imagine what that spot'll look like by this time next year
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #20435
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
can anyone give me a definitive answer on how many floors this building is going to have?
Just watched the fox report and the guy on there said 104 floors, but on this site it says 108? The actual building height not the spire will be the exact same height as the twin towers wont it? regardless of how many floors right ?
There's not a definitive answer to your questions. There are floors that actually don't exist (for example the ones in the base 1-19). And I think they are some symbolic floors, like the ones in the Communication Ring (108-109-110).

Anyways, the exact number of structural-floors can be given by Zen.

As for your second question, the parapet will mark the same height as the original twins (1361' and1368') (415m-417)

Last edited by Otie; March 11th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #20436
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Anybody know if the earthcam portal is still offering high def images? The only ones I get are about 1/4 the size of what they used to be. If anyone has a link to the high def pictures I'd appreciate it.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #20437
The Shard Baby
Future architect

Likes (Received): 2307

It's been 9.5 years today and they have done quite alot of progress.

R.I.P. 911
The Shard Baby's YouTube channel
Visit The Shard Baby 1998's Flickr:
The Shard Baby 1998 Flickr

Kingdom Tower LIVE cam
The Shard Baby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #20438
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodystill View Post
I posted pages ago that as the building grows I would assume that it would also slow down at each time the core changes, how often does this happen? Does the core continually change or does it go 10 floors then change, 2 floors, 20?
and does it really change the pace at all?
I never actually counted the number of times the core changes shape but I think it's more than 20 times. I don't see this slowing things down but speeding things up. It gets smaller, less rebar to set and less concrete.

PS: it gets considerably smaller at the 20th floor and is not the giant we all saw before being hidden from view. There have been several reductions since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
I actually sat down and counted the number of actual floors and came up with 94. On the drawings there is actually a level inside the spire labeled floor 110, I'm sure it's purely symbolic.

The top of the parapet will be the same hight as the North Tower. 1,368 feet.
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Zensteeldude; March 12th, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #20439
Otie
Researcher

There you go, thanks Zen.

densaer (March 9th, 2011)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #20440
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Came across this today. It's a tad old, but gives an idea of the last 40 odd years of progress here.

Last edited by Nomadd22; March 12th, 2011 at 04:13 AM.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center