daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #20581
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Not so much pressure as tension. The concrete is the strength pressure wise and the steel is the strength tension wise. So if you tried to bend the core with a hurricane or airplane, the concrete would be the strength of the opposite side of the bending force and the steel the stregth on the side that was getting pushed. Same with the tower swaying in a quake sort of, except the buildings own inertia is the load.
I'm just guessing, but I think that bolting the floors to the steel frame in the core is a lot stronger than just bolting them to concrete too.
Yes, that too..I don't have experience with professional english words as you guys, but I know what you mean and I tried to explain..I could talk about that way better in my language..
Thanks for the completion..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #20582
FCU

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgoessnap View Post
Dunno if this has been posted or not, but the rebuildgroundzero.com website seems to have been hacked by somebody. The webcam is not available as of this writing.
The link to the webcam itself is here.
FCU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #20583
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Here's a question isn't there another building, beside the shard you dude can compare this to.
It's not like I brought up the Shard to talk about the Shard. I was asking why 1WTC was being built a certain way. If you don't want to read my question, don't come on the forum.
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #20584
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Yes, that too..I don't have experience with professional english words as you guys, but I know what you mean and I tried to explain..I could talk about that way better in my language..
Thanks for the completion..
I'm pretty clumsy myself. Zen is the one who actually knows how to put it.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #20585
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgoessnap View Post
Dunno if this has been posted or not, but the rebuildgroundzero.com website seems to have been hacked by somebody. The webcam is not available as of this writing.
That happens every once in a while i doubt anyone would hack it
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #20586
rda

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
It's because 1WTC has steel beams in the core..They have to build steel construction first, connect floor beams to them and then they wrap core steel into concrete..It's called reinforced concrete..It's strong as hell..
Most structural concrete is reinforced, more often with rebar than with huge beams, but it's still reinforced concrete.

In any case, that can't be the (only) reason - look at Shanghai Tower. It is going up core-first despite having large amounts of metal (looked to be more than 1WTC) cast inside the concrete core. Looks like they are simply going to connect to the perimeter steel later.

I recall reading a long time ago that in the US (or maybe NY in particular) there is an aversion to slip/jump form on some safety grounds - particularly for working under them. I guess that would pretty much rule out core-first skyscraper construction. I'm not sure if I am remembering that right though, and forum search seems to be broken so can't easily check.
rda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #20587
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda View Post
Most structural concrete is reinforced, more often with rebar than with huge beams, but it's still reinforced concrete.

In any case, that can't be the (only) reason - look at Shanghai Tower. It is going up core-first despite having large amounts of metal (looked to be more than 1WTC) cast inside the concrete core. Looks like they are simply going to connect to the perimeter steel later.

I recall reading a long time ago that in the US (or maybe NY in particular) there is an aversion to slip/jump form on some safety grounds - particularly for working under them. I guess that would pretty much rule out core-first skyscraper construction. I'm not sure if I am remembering that right though, and forum search seems to be broken so can't easily check.
You could be right...Now when I think of other buildings being built in the New York right now, non of them has core build ahead of floors..Carnegie 57, 1WTC, 4WTC...I don't remember seeing the core of Beekman either..There's Devon Headquarters tower in Oklahoma City, no core up there either..
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #20588
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmanjr View Post
It's not like I brought up the Shard to talk about the Shard. I was asking why 1WTC was being built a certain way. If you don't want to read my question, don't come on the forum.
I've been coming to SSC, long before you know what it was. So I'll go where I want when I want.
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #20589
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Here is a little sketch I made awhile back showing the construction of Tower One and the "erecting steel"
image hosted on flickr

The main difference between core first and steel first construction is in the connection of the floor beams to the core. In core first (usually slip form) construction there are pockets cast into the core walls where the floor beams are set. They are anchored to a bearing plate that was cast into the wall and is held firmly in place with shear studs or rebar welded to the plate. The beams are then either bolted or welded to the bearing plate. Later, after the beams are in place the pocket is filled with concrete. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this method, it is widely used throughout the world, it is cost effective and is usually more than enough. (and it is the method I used when building my house, I didn't want any columns in the way of my model railroad so I used steel beams to support the first floor.)

But we are talking about Tower One here. The exception.

There are three reasons why the core concrete is cast after the steel is erected.

First, bolting the floor beams to the erecting steel that will later be encased in concrete makes a much stronger connection.

Article from Curbed awhile back that shows the core concrete completely encasing those important floor beam to erection steel connections.
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...se-new-york-11

Second, by doing it this way the floor beams can be connected with both a shear (gravity load) connection and a moment (Bending load, wind, earthquake) connection.

The third reason is a bit more subtle. At every floor there is a full length dovetail pocket cast into the core wall. This pocket is for the floor slab itself. Rebar extends from the core into the floor slab making the joint even stronger.

The erection steel does reinforce the core concrete but so does the crap load of #11 rebar embedded in it. (#11 is 1 3/8th diameter.)

Last edited by Zensteeldude; March 19th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #20590
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
That happens every once in a while i doubt anyone would hack it
I meant to say rebuildgroundzero.org . And yes, as of this writing, if you go to that page it is still down due to a hack. A previous poster put up a direct link to the webcam which is apparently still active.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #20591
Athinaios
3D geo-modeler

Likes (Received): 136

Some pics from yesterday and today (3/17/11 & 3/18/11) by me:

One World Trade Center in Google Earth
Athinaios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #20592
Supertall Robbo
on Clapham Common

Likes (Received): 20

Makes me want to go back.. New york is wonderful
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #20593
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

I know the glazing is not complete but see the sills of the first office floors alternate yet it ends up odd at each end with a double bay ? Just wondering...probably been answered before but although I keep an almost daily look at this thread I haven't heard a comment about it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #20594
DinoVabec
Worldwide

March 16th, TwinTowersForever, Skyscraperpage..

Old March 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #20595
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I know the glazing is not complete but see the sills of the first office floors alternate yet it ends up odd at each end with a double bay ? Just wondering...probably been answered before but although I keep an almost daily look at this thread I haven't heard a comment about it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I am sure this has been answered before but. Every other panel has been left out of the "20th" floor for hanging scaffold for work on the base glass brackets.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #20596
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Whatever the cladding lacks in reflective quality it more than makes up for in color clarity and brilliance. Superb.
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #20597
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

The glass panels are ultra-clear ones, not reflective.

Michael Morrongiello (March 17, 2011)

image hosted on flickr

garaventa-nyc (March 17, 2011)

image hosted on flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #20598
Otie
Researcher

Madeline68

image hosted on flickr

Starship Catvern

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #20599
MARSFACZ
Chatakuau..

Likes (Received): 1

Amazing pictures. I wonder the final design is from Libeskind Studio?
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #20600
Otie
Researcher

No. Liberskind colaborated with David Childs to do a final project; but once it was done, the New York City Police Department raissed a report wanting a redesign of the entire building. The final design was made by David Childs, from Skidmore, Owings & Merril.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center