daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM   #2061
Nike12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

I bet by the end of this month the core will have risen significantly.
Nike12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:58 AM   #2062
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos123
so what are they building beyond the columns??..the museum??
That is a shot of the new pathway.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2063
Nike12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

how har they going to pull off building this complex at the same time? Alot of trucks everywhere..
Nike12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM   #2064
mattsev16

Likes (Received): 0

can anyone tell me exactly is being worked on where the freedom tower is going to be, i see the two cranes there but what exactly are they working on now?
mattsev16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM   #2065
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsev16 View Post
can anyone tell me exactly is being worked on where the freedom tower is going to be, i see the two cranes there but what exactly are they working on now?
It looks like the foundation and sub-basement levels.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #2066
mattsev16

ok thank you mgk290, i cant wait until the Freedom Tower begins to rise above street level
mattsev16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #2067
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Please be carefull which side is being shown b/c there were people here confused the transit hub and the pathway for being the FT when they clearly are not.
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #2068
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 111

Nice to see this tower is well underway. Im looking forward to seeing it rise above the other towers in the downtown area.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #2069
SheistbugzzNY

LookinGood
SheistbugzzNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #2070
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

One of the things I'm looking forward to most about this tower is the cladding. The cladding in the renders looks terribly idealistic and I strongly doubt that it will resemble that at all. So I'm waiting for a big surprise come the time they begin the cladding!
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #2071
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Can this building withstand a 9/11 type terrorist attack?
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #2072
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Do you really think it (or any other one) could?
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #2073
-POLLUX-
Germany

Likes (Received): 9

withstand??? not really! but construction can give people enough time to leave the building to safety before it collapses or burns down!
for this reason for example the staircases are much more massive-walled in the FT than they were in the old twins!
-POLLUX- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2074
Dr_Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I don't think there will be another attack of that sort. Hijacking planes is probably a thing of the past. At least for a while. Because before people had a reasonable expectation of surviving an airplane hijacking. Now, if a plane did get hijacked people would figure that it was going to be used as a weapon and die trying to overcome the hijackers.

I can't recall any airplane hijackings since 9/11. I could be wrong, of course. :shrug:
Dr_Strangelove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #2075
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Yeah, I don't worry about airplanes anymore. The one I have to worry about are the ships especially cargo ships passing Hudson River each day. They are not fully inspected and they carry hundreds of containers.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #2076
vader11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
Do you really think it (or any other one) could?
Any steel buildings can't withstand this kind oif attack(like WTC), but concrete buildings has a very high chance of withstanding 9/11 type attack. The reason WTC collapse is that its mainly made of steel and the huge fire has melt its supporting steel so it collapse.
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2077
Dr_Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader11 View Post
Any steel buildings can't withstand this kind oif attack(like WTC), but concrete buildings has a very high chance of withstanding 9/11 type attack. The reason WTC collapse is that its mainly made of steel and the huge fire has melt its supporting steel so it collapse.
The ESB suffered a 9/11 style collision. Admittedly, the airplane wasn't going as fast, or as big. Also the ESB was way overbuilt. The unique construction of the WTCs made them vulnerable to an airplane attack. The Sears Tower would have probably survived.
Dr_Strangelove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #2078
vader11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove View Post
The ESB suffered a 9/11 style collision. Admittedly, the airplane wasn't going as fast, or as big. Also the ESB was way overbuilt. The unique construction of the WTCs made them vulnerable to an airplane attack. The Sears Tower would have probably survived.
The Sears is made of steel mainly, right? Then I believe it also has a high chance of collapsing but may stnad for a bit longer than WTC. I believe concrete buildings like Burj Dubai can withstand such attacks.
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2079
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

TRIDENT TRUE SYMBOL
WTC BEAMS TO GRACE MEMORIAL ENTRANCE

By TOM TOPOUSIS

RISING AGAIN: Two steel trident beams that stood in the aftermath of the Twin Towers' collapse on 9/11 will be erected inside the Ground Zero museum pavilion.September 4, 2007 -- Two of the World Trade Center's tridents - a signature architectural element from the base of the Twin Towers - will be returned to the Memorial Plaza at Ground Zero, where they will stand sentry inside the museum pavilion, The Post has learned.

The massive steel tridents, standing up to nine stories tall, have been chosen as the iconic symbols that will be seen by millions of visitors expected to arrive at the World Trade Center Memorial after it opens in late 2009.

Since the early days of planning for the memorial, designers had been urged to include an iconic artifact as part of the public plaza at the memorial, said Alice Greenwald, director of the World Trade Center Museum.

"We looked at a number of different artifacts, and we all felt the tridents epitomized something accurate about the event, but also hopeful," Greenwald said of efforts to memorialize the events of 9/11, while painting an inspiring message of rebirth.

The tridents were formed by massive steel beams rising from the base of the towers along the outside walls. At the seventh story, the aluminum-clad beams divided into three smaller beams that continued to the 110th floor of each tower.

After the terror attacks, several sections of the towers' lower facade, including the tridents, remained standing and were eventually dismantled and removed. Some of the tridents were among the artifacts placed in storage inside Hangar 17 at JFK Airport.

Greenwald said the tridents that stood after the attack are a "visual reference to the buildings that withheld and outlasted all the damage of that day."

In order to be carted off the WTC site, the beams had to be cut into 30-foot lengths to fit onto trucks. Once returned to the memorial, the pieces will be reassembled, said World Trade Center Memorial Foundation President Joseph Daniels.

Placed within the glass-walled museum pavilion, the tridents will rise up to 90 feet and will weigh about 90 tons each, Daniels said.
"These tridents in their raw form, without the aluminum cladding, are in many ways quite beautiful," Daniels said. "We expect them to be here as a signpost for the next 100 years."

The tree-lined plaza and memorial are due to open around September 2009. The museum will open about a year later.

[email protected]

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09042007...rue_symbol.htm

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Carlos123; September 4th, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
Carlos123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #2080
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

powerful symbol , hopefully they will make them gleam shinier than they were before that day

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center