daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #2101
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsev16 View Post
thats not stupid, just because they say it will keep it from collapsing from an airplane doesnt mean it will you idiot, because they dont know for sure, well just have to wait and see when its attacked, so shut up ebola you dont know anything
Seriously? When it gets attacked? Did you just say that?

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #2102
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove View Post
The ESB suffered a 9/11 style collision. Admittedly, the airplane wasn't going as fast, or as big. Also the ESB was way overbuilt. The unique construction of the WTCs made them vulnerable to an airplane attack. The Sears Tower would have probably survived.
The airplane that hit the ESB in was a WWII bomber (a B-25?), which is a fairly small, lightweight and slow-flying aircraft, especially when compared with today's commercials, similar in size to one of today's larger 'puddle-jumper' turboprops, and had a light fuel load - they were arriving in the NYC area and literally got lost in the fog on their way in to a local airfield.

The damage to the ESB was amazingly light that weekend and the building opened for business as usual the following Monday.

Isn't the ESB's structural steel encased in concrete (for fireproofing)?

Also, Tag is correct in that the steel in the WTC towers did not melt, but was severely softened by the heat of the resulting fuel and 'office stuff' fires. The fireproofing insulation was suspect, too, but most of it in the crash zones was blown off of the steel by the impacts. Without that insulation, which is usually good enough to allow plenty of time for firefighters to control normal 'office stuff' fires, the buildings didn't stand a chance. That they did stand for as long as they did, long enough to allow for most of their occupants below the impacts to escape, is a testament to their design engineers.

NOW - Back to the site redevelopment.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2103
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

OK people. This is getting ridiculous and you are all getting off-topic. Good thing I am not an administrator cuz' I will totally close this one and make a clean one instead. I can't believe you are discussing another 9/11 event again. Buildings will collapse by any means and not only by airplanes. Even Rosie O'Donnell can do it just by opening her mouth. OK, that last sentence might be too harsh

Last edited by Gaeus; September 5th, 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #2104
Athenax

Likes (Received): 6

Wow! I can't wait to see the structure upon it's completion.
Athenax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #2105
im_from_zw038
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Amazing building site, very brutal. The design of these buildings are great too. Sad about the way the wtc went down, but the new buildings will look way better
im_from_zw038 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #2106
Amo urbem
Stedenbouwer

Likes (Received): 83

Ever heard of Loose Change? Did the terrorists do it? Anyway, the new structures are cool.
Amo urbem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #2107
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
OK people. This is getting ridiculous and you are all getting off-topic. Good thing I am not an administrator cuz' I will totally close this one and make a clean one instead. I can't believe you are discussing another 9/11 event again. Buildings will collapse by any means and not only by airplanes. Even Rosie O'Donnell can do it just by opening her mouth. OK, that last sentence might be too harsh
I don't think it is getting off topic. The construction of this new tower has alot to do with the survivability of the old buildings. The Old Twin Towers getting hit by them planes should have never have happened. Awful thing but the engineers have learnt a great deal. If we can't make comments on the old towers we can't comment on the new construction of this tower. Construction comments comparing the two aren't off topic. Its totally on topic.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #2108
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

^

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09052007...zero_to_60.htm

GROUND 'ZERO TO 60'
WTC TOWER WORK SURGES AHEAD AT LAST

By TOM TOPOUSIS

September 5, 2007 -- What a difference a year makes, even at Ground Zero.

Once dogged by bitter fights over how to rebuild the World Trade Center, construction there is finally booming, with more than 600 hardhats pouring concrete, blasting rock and raising steel in a bid to fully rebuild the site by 2012.

The Freedom Tower - the first skyscraper to rise at Ground Zero - has reached street level with the setting of jumbo steel beams that will form the below-grade base. Next year, the tower's frame will begin to rise above street level.

Alongside the Freedom Tower, hardhats have built 121 out of 150 concrete footings for the World Trade Center Memorial and Museum, with steel expected to be shipped in later this year to begin raising the memorial to street level.

The $2 billion transit hub designed by Santiago Calatrava is also under way.

Perhaps the least heralded project at the site is the massive, 80-foot-deep excavation of the eastern half of the trade center to create a watertight "bathtub" for three Church Street office towers.

Most of the work began after last year's agreement between Ground Zero developer Larry Silverstein and the Port Authority, which owns the site. The bistate agency is in charge of the bulk of the project, with Silverstein concentrating on three towers.

"We've restored a level of confidence to the rebuilding process and that's translated to the marketplace," said PA Chairman Anthony Coscia.

He said that the reconstruction project has helped fuel renewed interest in the downtown office market, where demand for space is booming.

"These buildings will be built and the site will be restored," Coscia told The Post during a recent interview.

Added together, $16 billion worth of construction will take place on the 16-acre site, making the World Trade Center the most expensive and most complicated construction project in a city brimming with tower cranes.

Because so many projects are being squeezed into the site, each one is linked to the other through shared subterranean structures - from piping to concourses to underground railroad and subway lines - further complicating the work.

"It's not an easy project to build," said Coscia, who likened the engineering effort to building a "subgrade Rubik's Cube."

Construction so far is mostly limited to the western half of the site, inside the 70-foot-deep bathtub that was built to contain the foundations of the Twin Towers. A second bathtub is being excavated on the eastern half of the site for Silverstein's towers 2, 3 and 4.

Silverstein, who last year completed World Trade Center 7 just across Vesey Street from the WTC's main campus, expects to begin construction of his three towers in 2008.

"You ain't seen nothing yet," Silverstein said.

His design team of 120 architects and engineers has been working at a studio on the 11th floor of 7 World Trade Center.

"We will hit the ground running when the sites are handed over to us in January," he said.

One setback for the reconstruction is the fiasco at the Deutsche Bank Building, which is being taken down by the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. a block south of the WTC. Two firefighters died battling a blaze inside the toxic tower last month.

The Port Authority, which will take over the Deutsche Bank site once the tower is removed, has an agreement to sell it to JPMorgan Chase as a fifth WTC tower beside a park and new home for St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church.

[email protected]
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #2109
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Carlos: When is the next time you are visiting the site.
I'm going to try and go this weekend again.....

[img]http://i19.************/6ferssn.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Carlos123; September 5th, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Carlos123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #2110
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I like this part:

"You ain't seen nothing yet," Silverstein said.

His design team of 120 architects and engineers has been working at a studio on the 11th floor of 7 World Trade Center.

"We will hit the ground running when the sites are handed over to us in January," he said.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #2111
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah, let's keep to the structural questions, please.

Save the paranoia for the evening news.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #2112
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

finally a group of highly visible ultra modern super structures for nyc!
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2113
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos123 View Post
I'm going to try and go this weekend again.....

[img]http://i19.************/6ferssn.jpg[/img]
beautiful image - great to see the Freedom Tower floorplates starting and heading upwards. Shame my visit in December is a year or two early really! That's a fantastic cluster of towers - biased as I am, the Foster and Roger's towers are stunners!
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #2114
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

The Transit hub is a joke, it looks like a giant dead fish. In my opinion, they should replace it with a tower and have a hub below it.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #2115
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
beautiful image - great to see the Freedom Tower floorplates starting and heading upwards. Shame my visit in December is a year or two early really! That's a fantastic cluster of towers - biased as I am, the Foster and Roger's towers are stunners!
No Bias necessary -- Two and Three will definitely be the prettiest buildings there!!

As for the thing hoping to be built . . . don't you think it's funny that they're patting themselves on the back for getting this done . . . ELEVEN YEARS after the whole ordeal happened?!
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #2116
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
I read somewhere that the FT is going to be the strongest tower in the world.. i dont remember.
This post tends imply that fact that it will be 100% safe.
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #2117
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Well, i dont know, that's what they said.....

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #2118
Matt08642
Sup?

Likes (Received): 3

I was really bored today in class, so I sketched these:

Matt08642 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #2119
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Haha, nice! You should see what I've drawn during my college writing course. I have over 100 sketches of towers I made and the WTC and downtown and midtown and everything in between.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #2120
macpolo

Likes (Received): 155

how many years i have to wait to see this not so beautiful tower but great height rising up?

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center