daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #21521
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

I've only been to NYC once, after the Twin Towers fell, but I'm gonna have to stop by once this project is done. It'll be nice to see the country's real capital restored to its full former glory.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #21522
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

China Center to Build the Modern Vision for a New China in One World Trade Center

NEW YORK, April 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- China Center New York unveiled its high-profile interior concept design, "Folding Garden" for its future home at One World Trade Center. Once in place, the vertical Chinese garden folding through 64th to 69th floors provides an extraordinary space for Chinese and U.S. business leaders to build relationships and provides a dramatic showcase for the rise of modern China.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110414/NY83697 )
Today's unveiling is the first step in bringing the abstract concept of a Chinese folding garden into reality in a uniquely urban environment. "We plan to create an architectural masterpiece of world-class standard where the traditional Chinese culture is fully represented and explored," said Xue Ya, President of China Center. "Its goal is to become an important window presenting a contemporary Chinese image while offering a platform for international business exchange."
Behind the concept is the vision of China Center Chairman Feng Lun – to build a world-class business environment with an unprecedented design. A team of internationally renowned artists and designers have worked on the project for the last two years and are all very excited about moving the project forward.
"While Chinatowns in all metropolises represent the past version of Chinese culture in the West, we want to create a new iconic environment at One World Trade Center to represent an open-minded and confident China that embraces all values," said Feng Lun, a well-known real estate developer in China. "We want people to come here, look at the space, and say 'Wow! This is a side of China I haven't seen,'" he said.
Support for China Center's bold, folding garden design and modern China showcase was shared by over 70 Chinese business leaders who recently had a sneak peek preview of the concept design.
The concept design is based on a "Folding Garden" concept originally proposed by Zhou Wei, a renowned Chinese artist. China Center Art Director Weng Ling hand-picked the top-ranking Japanese architect Kengo Kuma & Associates to bring the concept to fruition. New York-based architect firm Perkins Eastman will work with Kengo Kuma to implement the design into the space in One World Trade Center.
In order to create a truly distinctive experience, the "Folding Garden" idea was reinterpreted by connecting the floors and functions vertically. This is still not a common approach in skyscrapers, not just in New York but also around the world.
"By combining the unique, meandering spatial characteristics of the Chinese garden with several floors of the iconic One World Trade Center, we can arrive at a very special kind of design that is specific to China Center and to New York City, all at once," said Kuma. "This is a very special opportunity that bridges modern and traditional motifs, architecture and nature, and most importantly the Chinese and American cultures."
"The China Center Space will boldly combine culture and business," said Weng Ling, the art director. "It is both aesthetic and functional."
As a leader in green development, Mr. Feng Lun has pledged to build China Center as a LEED platinum space, the highest standard for green interior design as established by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
China Center New York LLC is the unequivocal platform for China-U.S. business and cultural exchange. In 2009, it became the first corporate tenant for the iconic redeveloped One World Trade Center tower and set to move in 1 WTC in 2014.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #21523
Beber

Likes (Received): 1493

Question about the base of the tower :

A few months ago, when they installed those huge columns at the base (I forgot about the details, but the one that needed the 18000 and 16000 to be lifted), I thought they had such big columns to have some kind of an "open space" at the base of the tower.

But now, they poured those huge blast wall pretty much everywhere around the base, and I have to wonder, why did they go with "just" a few columns when they could have use more column and/or transversal/inclined beam to dish out the weight? Because all that concrete isn't use to "support" the tower, but they could have fit a lot of steel inside that concrete that could have been use to that effect. I suppose having so few columns is a pretty expensive choice, and I don't see the use of it if they just fill the empty space with concrete.

So, since the people that design this beauty are obviously smarter than me, what am I missing here?
Beber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM   #21524
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

I think it stands to reason that those concrete panels between the columns are fortified probably with an exraordinary amount of rebar, plus the concrete used itself is probably a specially formulated extra strong mix. Have you noticed how long the formwork is left on, especially the corners? Months at a time!
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:41 AM   #21525
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Hey everyone, I found this site a few months ago and I've really enjoyed all the great pics of the construction progress! This might be a bit off-topic but does anyone know about the status of the new WTC shopping mall and when it is gonna be completed?
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:21 AM   #21526
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

A gorgeous shot by Patapsco, Apr 30th,

image hosted on flickr
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:41 AM   #21527
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Agreed. That shot is very nice! Thanks for posting that spectre.
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:28 AM   #21528
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

I must say... Happy 80th Birthday to the Empire State Building! Even after the WTC surpasses it again, and as time goes on, and other buildings grow taller still, it will always be special to us
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM   #21529
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Good Morning NY Sunday May 1, 2011

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

upclose and personal

blue mesh netting going up around...

image hosted on flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:11 PM   #21530
trulsaal
Student in New York 2012

Likes (Received): 0

Hey. Anyone know the messure's on the windows? width, length etc.
T
trulsaal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:27 PM   #21531
Пятница
BANNED

Likes (Received): 359

Thank you, Carlos!
Пятница no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM   #21532
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

hi, im from the UK and after my recent visit to NYC ive been following this thread, so i was just wondering if you ming me sticking around?

also as this building was included with a WTC render i was wondering if any of you knew the current status for a project named 56 Leonard Street?
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM   #21533
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
awesome dude - just a note, you've got the date on there that the first piece of the curtain was in november 2011, instead of 2010 (lol edit thanks eastern37)

Last edited by spotila; May 1st, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM   #21534
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

2010*
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM   #21535
Leopoldo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1402

I'm Brazilian state of Piaui, I love spider heaven and follow the daily progress of the construction of One World Trade Center.

It's a shame that the big metrolpoles of Brazil does not have buildings over 50 floors.

At this moment there are thousands of buildings under construction in Sao Paulo, but all with up to 40 floors.

In Rio de Janeiro does not really exist, because the tall buildings would disturb the view of mountains and sea, which are unique in the world.

I love New York.
Leopoldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM   #21536
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulsaal View Post
Hey. Anyone know the messure's on the windows? width, length etc.
T
The curtain wall panels measure 5" by 13' 4" (~1.5m x~4m).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotila View Post
awesome dude - just a note, you've got the date on there that the first piece of the curtain was in november 2011, instead of 2010 (lol edit thanks eastern37)
That error was since the last diagram, I forgot to change it, thanks, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
hi, im from the UK and after my recent visit to NYC ive been following this thread, so i was just wondering if you ming me sticking around?

also as this building was included with a WTC render i was wondering if any of you knew the current status for a project named 56 Leonard Street?
56 Leonard Street thread (On Hold)

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center, New York City by Jennifer Janviere, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Skyline by Uhh......, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown NYC by eugenetsang, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM   #21537
venom6

Likes (Received): 1302

After visiting this topic after months. Its good to see the progress!
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM   #21538
Leopoldo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldo View Post
I'm Brazilian state of Piaui, I love spider heaven and follow the daily progress of the construction of One World Trade Center.

It's a shame that the big metrolpoles of Brazil does not have buildings over 50 floors.

At this moment there are thousands of buildings under construction in Sao Paulo, but all with up to 40 floors.

In Rio de Janeiro does not really exist, because the tall buildings would disturb the view of mountains and sea, which are unique in the world.

I love New York.
Sorry for the error of "Spider heaven" which in English should be skyscraper.

Is that Portuguese is a language very tricky to translate.
Leopoldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:43 PM   #21539
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldo View Post
Sorry for the error of "Spider heaven" which in English should be skyscraper.

Is that Portuguese is a language very tricky to translate.
Haha, a funny error, but no problem.

Otie, I love that last photo you posted!!
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:18 PM   #21540
Plokoon111

Likes (Received): 0

Spider heaven? Ughh I won't sleep tonight.
Plokoon111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center