daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #21821
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
that was the case with the first design but not this one.
Don't try to correct me. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I spent a LOT of time studying the WTC site (past and future), and frankly, know more about it than any other living poster on this board.

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #21822
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

views

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post

The current height of 1 WTC is 800 feet +- 2 feet (approximately 244 meters), with the steel at the 65th/66th floors.

This now makes 1WTC the 16th tallest buildings in NYC!

On a different note, I am a little concerned about the speed of the progress at the tower. The last steel jump was on April 22nd, 18 days ago. This is the equivalent rate of building 1 floor every 9 days, which is much slower than what its supposed to be: 1 week per floor. Does anybody know the reason for this?

Also, I agree that 2 WTC is a very well-designed tower, but its horrible location would make 1 WTC virtually invisible from Brooklyn, which is what I really can't get over.
It won't be invisible from Brooklyn. No matter where you put tower 2 it will block the views from SOME angles or SOME parts of Brooklyn. So it it is blocked form say a DUMBO view it will be clearly viewable from the Promonade, Cobble Hill, Red Hook, etc and also Williamsburg and Greenpoint. If the view is blocked for those walking across the Brooklyn Bridge that will be a shame but just walk across the Manhattan Bridge instead.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #21823
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Don't try to correct me. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I spent a LOT of time studying the WTC site (past and future), and frankly, know more about it than any other living poster on this board.
Who are you talking to? Your statement was incorrect so corrected it.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #21824
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

just 13 more feet to surpass case and 77 feet to surpass Beekman, bye my estimate freedom tower should be the second tallest building by roof by mid September.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #21825
toren1776

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
It won't be invisible from Brooklyn. No matter where you put tower 2 it will block the views from SOME angles or SOME parts of Brooklyn. So it it is blocked form say a DUMBO view it will be clearly viewable from the Promonade, Cobble Hill, Red Hook, etc and also Williamsburg and Greenpoint. If the view is blocked for those walking across the Brooklyn Bridge that will be a shame but just walk across the Manhattan Bridge instead.
When the original twin towers were built, they were purposely set at a northwest by southeast axis. As a result, the twins were never obscured from either Brooklyn or New Jersey. When one did obscure the other, it didn't really matter since both towers were identical. Now 1 WTC and 2 WTC (which have almost the same roof height) are aligned at a west by east axis which completely obscures the view of 1 WTC from Brooklyn and 2 WTC from New Jersey. Cobble Hill, Red Hook, Greenpoint and Williamsburg are all too far away from lower Manhattan to provide a decent view of downtown, and the beautiful view of 1 WTC that Brooklyn Heights residents will enjoy for a while will be lost floor by floor as 2 WTC comes up. The view of 1 WTC will be entirely obscured from the Brooklyn Bridge (you will only be able to see the spire), and the view from Manhattan Bridge won't be any better: the Beekman Tower has taken care of that already.
toren1776 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #21826
FCU

Likes (Received): 19

Does anyone know how wide the corners of the base are? I'm making a 1 WTC model for private use, but I can't find this measure anywhere. A drawing to make it clear:

[IMG]http://i51.************/wrb0cj.png[/IMG]

Great pictures by the way, thanks for sharing them!
FCU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #21827
FCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post
When the original twin towers were built, they were purposely set at a northwest by southeast axis. As a result, the twins were never obscured from either Brooklyn or New Jersey. When one did obscure the other, it didn't really matter since both towers were identical. Now 1 WTC and 2 WTC (which have almost the same roof height) are aligned at a west by east axis which completely obscures the view of 1 WTC from Brooklyn and 2 WTC from New Jersey. Cobble Hill, Red Hook, Greenpoint and Williamsburg are all too far away from lower Manhattan to provide a decent view of downtown, and the beautiful view of 1 WTC that Brooklyn Heights residents will enjoy for a while will be lost floor by floor as 2 WTC comes up. The view of 1 WTC will be entirely obscured from the Brooklyn Bridge (you will only be able to see the spire), and the view from Manhattan Bridge won't be any better: the Beekman Tower has taken care of that already.
Maybe 2 WTC and the Beekman Tower will both become symbols, who knows. Sometimes I also notice that people see the Twin Towers as a symbol because they are gone, not because they are actually standing. The old WTC was first hated under NYC residents, because of their projected monotony and domination.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #21828
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^ Your question has several answers. The measurement depends on the distances between two points. Those points can come either from cladding, or concrete, or the super columns.
If your model isn't going to be accurate, then use the 22ft lenght.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
that was the case with the first design but not this one.
Are you talking about the one made by David Childs / Liberskind or to the first version of the redesigned 1WTC? The first version of the redesigned tower used the concept of Lady Liberty's Torch; but the actual design of spire doesn't include a net of cables and the Communication Ring has also changed, so I'm not sure if this modifies the concept.

^(ny.curbed.com)

LMDC refering to the first version(2005):
Quote:
A mast containing an antenna for the Metropolitan Television Alliance (MTVA), designed by a collaboration of architects, artists, lighting designers and engineers, and secured by a system of cables, rises from a circular support ring, similar to Liberty’s torch, to a height of 1,776 feet. In keeping with the original design, the entire composition evokes the Statue of Liberty’s torch and will emit light, becoming its own Beacon of Freedom.

Last edited by Otie; May 10th, 2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: information added to kingsc's reply.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #21829
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

I can't wait to see photos of it at night...
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #21830
FCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
^ Your question has several answers. The measurement depends on the distances between two points. Those points can come either from cladding, or concrete, or the super columns.
If your model isn't going to be accurate, then use the 22ft lenght.
Thank you!
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #21831
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Update to the Lower Manhattan checklist. Woolworth has been surpassed by these latest columns.

(Image compiled from the Diagram section at SSP found here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=8 )
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #21832
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Old May 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #21833
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Your ego is out of control. Please study up on the words humility, humble, respectful, plus it would be wise to look into the concept of noblesse oblige:The obligation of those of high rank or with great power or knowledge to be honourable and generous.
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #21834
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

John, your statement is based on user's posts, the truth is that nobody knows with who you are treating, even in real life. Your knowledge is terrific, use it wisely.

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center Area by Mike from LP, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #21835
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 694

Pretty nice diagram above. It illustrates the New York skyscrapers in a relatively better perspective regarding the height.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #21836
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Quote:

Oh my gosh. That's beautiful!

Did you take that photo? One of the first I've seen in a while that I really like.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #21837
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5558

May 9:

[img]http://oi54.************/33y517a.jpg[/img]
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #21838
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Can someone give me the link to the Discovery cam? My computer crashed, and i lost all of my saved files.
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #21839
illegal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

del

Last edited by illegal; August 24th, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
illegal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #21840
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10321

Quote:
i guess i wont worry about my diagram updates. you seem to have it covered.
;-(

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center