daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #21841
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^Monopoly is not in my wish list, Cul. What motivated me to do that diagram was without doubt your work. Please, let's make a peaceful competition between our work, that'll impulse ourselves to make better diagrams. Please, keep updating your diagrams in order to enrich this thread as much as possible. I update my diagrams every 15th and 30th day of each month.

image hosted on flickr

IMGP7140 by jesscob23, on Flickr

Last edited by Otie; May 11th, 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Pic added.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #21842
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Chris (AKA Zensteeldude) had no reason to be humble, he had all the answers (Contained in over a ton of prints that the PA hauled away.It was almost silly that they had to bring in a second vehicle, there was so much.)

Respect his memory. Know what he risked to answer your questions.

Let him rest in peace knowing that these towers are going up.

Know that he has the best seat in the house to watch the construction.

Linda

Last edited by Zensteeldude; May 11th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #21843
toren1776

Likes (Received): 3

Traynor was referring to STR, not Zensteeldude.
toren1776 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #21844
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

^It may seem confusing to new or unfamiliar forumers, since I changed my signature lines to honour Zen.

I have sent Linda a message to clear up any confusion.
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #21845
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post

Traynor was referring to STR, not Zensteeldude.
Where did STR's info come from ?!?

Think about it. That is what I was refering too.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:21 AM   #21846
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I can't wait to see photos of it at night...
Imigine this view one year from now!!

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0584 by Ceva321, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0583 by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #21847
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Where did STR's info come from ?!?

Think about it. That is what I was referring too.
To insult STR is an indirect insult on Zen.

We all need to be a bit more contemplative and respectful.

Linda
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #21848
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

you comment your own comment
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #21849
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Using the account of an honorable person who isn't with us anymore is somehow disrespectfull. Please, only use Zensteeldude's account if you have anything important to say related to his family, and on his thread.

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower Rising ! by pmarella, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #21850
toren1776

Now I am confused. Is STR actually ZenSteeldude in disguise? What is going on?

I agree with Otie; don't use the account of an Honorable Person, this is just making things more confusing and it's also completely tactless. I can assure you, Linda (or whoever is accessing Zen's account) that his name will be always remembered and nobody has shown or intended to show any disrespect towards Zen on this forum.
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #21851
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Not a problem

Quote:
When the original twin towers were built, they were purposely set at a northwest by southeast axis. As a result, the twins were never obscured from either Brooklyn or New Jersey. When one did obscure the other, it didn't really matter since both towers were identical. Now 1 WTC and 2 WTC (which have almost the same roof height) are aligned at a west by east axis which completely obscures the view of 1 WTC from Brooklyn and 2 WTC from New Jersey. Cobble Hill, Red Hook, Greenpoint and Williamsburg are all too far away from lower Manhattan to provide a decent view of downtown, and the beautiful view of 1 WTC that Brooklyn Heights residents will enjoy for a while will be lost floor by floor as 2 WTC comes up. The view of 1 WTC will be entirely obscured from the Brooklyn Bridge (you will only be able to see the spire), and the view from Manhattan Bridge won't be any better: the Beekman Tower has taken care of that already.
Seems like you are getting confused here. There is no way two buildings built close to each other could be either completely unobscured along the New Jersey or Brooklyn shorelines or completley obscured along those same areas. They will only be inteferring with each other completely at most in an area the equivelent their width - in this case a few hundred feet. If you are standing somewhere on the Brooklyn shoreline and WTC 2 blocks WTC 1 just move say a thousand feet north or a thousand feet south and you'll see WTC 1 fine. That is very easy to accomplish in DUMBO where the entire shore is park and you can walk several thousand feet north or south to position your view as you want it. Same goes for the Brooklyn Promonade which is a few thousand feet long.

In fact, if the Brooklyn Bridge happens to be exactly along the axis of WTC 1 and WTC 2 then the view from the Promonade will be spectacular and it is the best place to view lower Manhattan anyways.

Also, the views from the Manhattan Bridge will be fine and unobstructed by the Beekman Tower. I was on that bridge a few weeks ago and could see WTC 1 fine.

Finally the best place to observe the WTC complex from when completed is from the south west. Remember, the angled slope of WTC will be best seen from that angle. The World Financial Center is also going to have a heck of a view.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #21852
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 298

These recent posts under Zen's account are giving me hope that he is really still alive and is just pulling our legs.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #21853
toren1776

Quote:
Seems like you are getting confused here. There is no way two buildings built close to each other could be either completely unobscured along the New Jersey or Brooklyn shorelines or completley obscured along those same areas. They will only be inteferring with each other completely at most in an area the equivelent their width - in this case a few hundred feet. If you are standing somewhere on the Brooklyn shoreline and WTC 2 blocks WTC 1 just move say a thousand feet north or a thousand feet south and you'll see WTC 1 fine. That is very easy to accomplish in DUMBO where the entire shore is park and you can walk several thousand feet north or south to position your view as you want it. Same goes for the Brooklyn Promonade which is a few thousand feet long.

In fact, if the Brooklyn Bridge happens to be exactly along the axis of WTC 1 and WTC 2 then the view from the Promonade will be spectacular and it is the best place to view lower Manhattan anyways.

Also, the views from the Manhattan Bridge will be fine and unobstructed by the Beekman Tower. I was on that bridge a few weeks ago and could see WTC 1 fine.

Finally the best place to observe the WTC complex from when completed is from the south west. Remember, the angled slope of WTC will be best seen from that angle. The World Financial Center is also going to have a heck of a view.

Yes, I understand how 3-dimensional space works, thank you. Beekman Tower does obscure 1 WTC along the central portion of the Manhattan Bridge, which commands one of the best views of lower manhattan. As I said previously, we will only be able to see the unattractive eastern facade of 2 WTC from the Brooklyn Bridge and the spire of 1 WTC jutting out of it. I understand that 1 WTC will be visible to the north and south of Brooklyn Heights, but the best view of 1 WTC will be lost nonetheless.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #21854
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Yes, I understand how 3-dimensional space works, thank you. Beekman Tower does obscure 1 WTC along the central portion of the Manhattan Bridge, which commands one of the best views of lower manhattan. As I said previously, we will only be able to see the unattractive eastern facade of 2 WTC from the Brooklyn Bridge and the spire of 1 WTC jutting out of it. I understand that 1 WTC will be visible to the north and south of Brooklyn Heights, but the best view of 1 WTC will be lost nonetheless.
Well that really blows. How could they obstruct the view of the tallest building in this country while crossing one of the most (if not the most) iconic bridges ever?
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #21855
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Completely OT post ...

1 - I don't know who Linda is but she is obviously someone who was close to Zen. I for one, have no problem with her using his old account.
There seems to be waaaay too many wanna be mods in this thread intent on over-policing the forum

2 - I do know STR (not personally). He knows his shit and has earned the right to post as he did. His knowledge on many projects comes through in his drawings.

3 - Cul, your many different project drawings are top notch. Please keep posting them for this project as Otie said.

Sorry for the OT ...

Old May 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #21856
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

No one... ABSOLUTLEY NO ONE has the right (no matter who they are or what they know) to be as egomaniacal, belligerent, denigrating, condescending, rude and dismissive to anyone else on these threads as he has.

Civility, respect, kindness and understanding are all virtues sorely lacking in that forumer.

If you have privileged information (As in the self-professed total knowledge of the WTC), then treat it as a privilege and remember those who are not as fortunate, need to be treated with respect.

Imagine if your teachers had spoken to you in school the way some have spoken to others on these threads. Would it have been fair of them to expect you to already know certain things? These less-informed people are students and deserve to be guided by the knowledge, not berated about their ignorance.

That is the civility that I hope for in these threads and all I was ever doing in calling someone out for it.
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #21857
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

You seem upset.
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #21858
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

amen
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #21859
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

I know it's an old render. :P
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #21860
Anonymous Filmmaker

Likes (Received): 2

65th floor on its way.
Anonymous Filmmaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center