daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #21861
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

What have we here...

I know it's not the Freedom Tower. I couldn't find the 2 WTC forum.

Anyway, that's a poster created before the architect of 2 WTC was unveiled.

Official poster of Freedom Tower...
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #21862
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Here's a safety warning for SSC users: Posters in forum are bigger than they appear.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #21863
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricken Ridge View Post
Here's a safety warning for SSC users: Posters in forum are bigger than they appear.
What do you mean?

Old model shots...

Last edited by IanG; May 11th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #21864
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
^ Your question has several answers. The measurement depends on the distances between two points. Those points can come either from cladding, or concrete, or the super columns.
If your model isn't going to be accurate, then use the 22ft lenght.

Are you talking about the one made by David Childs / Liberskind or to the first version of the redesigned 1WTC? The first version of the redesigned tower used the concept of Lady Liberty's Torch; but the actual design of spire doesn't include a net of cables and the Communication Ring has also changed, so I'm not sure if this modifies the concept.

^(ny.curbed.com)

LMDC refering to the first version(2005):
I was talking about the first building design, not the first spire for this building.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #21865
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
No one... ABSOLUTLEY NO ONE has the right (no matter who they are or what they know) to be as egomaniacal, belligerent, denigrating, condescending, rude and dismissive to anyone else on these threads as he has.

Civility, respect, kindness and understanding are all virtues sorely lacking in that forumer.

If you have privileged information (As in the self-professed total knowledge of the WTC), then treat it as a privilege and remember those who are not as fortunate, need to be treated with respect.

Imagine if your teachers had spoken to you in school the way some have spoken to others on these threads. Would it have been fair of them to expect you to already know certain things? These less-informed people are students and deserve to be guided by the knowledge, not berated about their ignorance.

That is the civility that I hope for in these threads and all I was ever doing in calling someone out for it.
The only reason he spoke so harshly is because alot of people think that he simply doesn't know shit. He had every right to lash back like that. With the amount of work that STR has done on the WTC site in terms of modeling, I'd say he knows far more than any one else here. The only one that had the amount of knowledge for this project as him would have been Zen.

Anyway, as for those saying that the glass being changed isn't a re-design, you would be surprised. The material and layout of the glass at the podium changing could have a huge impact on how this building will look, especially at ground level. Should be interesting if they release new podium renders soon.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #21866
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

Can't wait to see this building completed on the NYC skyline...looks awesome. Pity it wasn't 2 going up & have the 'twin towers' again.
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #21867
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

More fuel for the fire... (Not in regard to you, MelboyPete).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelboyPete View Post
Can't wait to see this building completed on the NYC skyline...looks awesome. Pity it wasn't 2 going up & have the 'twin towers' again.
Like this?

Old May 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #21868
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

[QUOTE=IanG;77570575]More fuel for the fire...

Sounds like there's some politics going on here ? but yes that picture showing 2 towers & one with the spire would have been amazing.
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #21869
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

[QUOTE=MelboyPete;77570753]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
More fuel for the fire...

Sounds like there's some politics going on here ? but yes that picture showing 2 towers & one with the spire would have been amazing.
It's nothing. ^^;

Yeah, truly a shame. I wish the owners would use their God-given brains for a moment.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #21870
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Wait are people trying to saying I disrespected STR?
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #21871
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Wait are people trying to saying I disrespected STR?
Uhm, I think somewhere in the earlier posts, maybe. Not sure if it was your username though. I vaguely remember it...

From a simulator...

Old May 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #21872
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

Seriously, you can tell this is an internet forum. As usual, filled with people who have no social skills whatsoever. I can't help but laugh when I read some of the posts in this thread. We've got people who think they are mods (when they are clearly not), people who know "absolutely everything" and think it's their right to address others in whichever manner they think because of their knowledge. We even have people sucking up those previously said people.

All i can say is, i'd love to be a fly-on-the-wall some days, and see how these people really act when they aren't behind a computer screen. I'm a curious guy.

This is a skyscraper forum, full of people all interested in the same thing. Some people need to get over it, get over themselves and put things into perspective in terms of the "real world".

This building and its construction is the "real world". The people who designed this thing and those who are building it are making it happen. They come to work every day, and go home each night, ready to do it all again then next day. We, on this forum, are simply admiring all of this. If certain individuals have more involvement in this project than others (away from this forum), then fantastic, and I respect your involvement and knowledge. But don't come on here and blast other people just because "you know better". I don't need to produce some fancy historical quote of significance to justify my point. These are just simple human manners and social skills that I am talking about here.

Last edited by spiller9; May 11th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #21873
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

I don't know why I forgot that I posted the above image already.

Base of Freedom Tower from the same simulator.

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #21874
Пятница
BANNED

Likes (Received): 359

May 11, 2011
Пятница no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #21875
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

It's almost octagonal at the top now.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #21876
FCU

Likes (Received): 19

What's up with all those people who suddenly have to act all though? Does this thread have some kind of a "frequent period" where she needs to discharge her frustrations?

On Topic: the tower has two floors that are sealed off, on the lower sealed off floor concrete is being installed, but what is going on on the upper sealed off floor (right underneath the blue netting)?
FCU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #21877
toren1776

Likes (Received): 3

For a while I didn't even notice the concrete reinforcement on the steel beams going up. I know the adjacent Goldman Sachs HQ has concrete reinforcing and so does 4 WTC. Did the the original twins have this kind of reinforcing? Is concrete reinforcing standard on all skyscrapers?
toren1776 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #21878
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post
For a while I didn't even notice the concrete reinforcement on the steel beams going up. I know the adjacent Goldman Sachs HQ has concrete reinforcing and so does 4 WTC. Did the the original twins have this kind of reinforcing? Is concrete reinforcing standard on all skyscrapers?
There's no concrete on the columns in this building. The gray stuff you see is fireproofing.

T4 has concrete on the columns but that's because there are fewer columns so they need to be stronger.

Last edited by uakoops; May 11th, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
uakoops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #21879
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

May 10th, Greenwichboy, WNY..

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #21880
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

May 10th, ZippyTheChimp, WNY..

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center