daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #22001
toren1776

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Not good explaining, but a diagram should give you an idea why 72nd floor is the perfect octagon (structurally):
Nice work Otie. Here is another way you could look at it (did this in 10 minutes so not of the best quality):

toren1776 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #22002
toren1776

I tried to post a picture from my flickr photostream but it wouldn't embed onto the post. DOes anybody know what I did wrong?

Last edited by toren1776; May 18th, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #22003
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller9 View Post
can someone answer my question again...does this building taper inwards towards the core at all four (or eight) facades?
All four sides, or the triangles with their base at the bottom are vertical. So, the 200 foot width of the tower at the base turns into a 200 foot diagonal at the top.
It makes for an interesting perspective. If you look at the tower from north, south, east or west it's 200 feet wide all the way up. But if you look at it from a 45 degree angle, it tapers from 282 feet to 141 feet and looks almost like a truncated obelisk.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #22004
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center by Paul Brady, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ground Zero bycaffriver, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower II por Several seconds, on Flickr.

Last edited by Otie; May 17th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #22005
earthbuilder
MagnaCarta/HolyGrail

Likes (Received): 201

image hosted on flickr

freedom tower rising by Idle Type, on Flickr

By VivalaBAMdude on Imageshack

||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||

Check out my 3D projects:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1570589
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1497145
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1363777
earthbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #22006
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
I love these sorta pictures - reminds me of the shot from Godzilla from Jersey where the WTC was shrouded in fog

See below:

"Look at it, it's perfect. An island, water on all sides, but like no other island in the world, this is a place where he can easliy hide. He's in there some place.."

Last edited by spotila; May 18th, 2011 at 05:17 AM.
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #22007
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

PROGRESS!
July 4th, 2004: http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen3/f28.html
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #22008
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post
I tried to post a picture from my flickr photostream but it wouldn't embed onto the post. DOes anybody know what I did wrong?
On the upper part of your picture there should be an arrow button right to the Facebook/Twitter/Mail buttons, click on it. Then select "Grab the HTML/BBCode" (if enabled on your account), select the size you want; select "BBCode" below and finally copy and paste.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #22009
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

still more rain on the way, when is it going to stop.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #22010
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 197

What's the scheduled completion date for this building ? Going to look awesome on the skyline...can't wait
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #22011
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

estimated completion around the fourth quarter of 2013.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #22012
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/ny...r.html?_r=2&hp

Condé Nast Will Be Anchor of 1 World Trade Center
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #22013
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

NY POst

Quote:

Glossy move
Condé Nast mags ink $2B pioneering 1 WTC lease
By LOIS WEISS, KEITH J. KELLY and CARL CAMPANILE

Last Updated: 12:54 AM, May 18, 2011

In a major boost to the revival of Ground Zero, the glitzy Condé Nast magazine empire has finalized a $2 billion deal with the Port Authority to become the anchor tenant at 1 World Trade Center, sources said yesterday. Under the groundbreaking 25-year lease agreement, Condé will relocate from 4 Times Square and occupy up to 1 million square feet at 1 WTC.

As part of the complicated and long-discussed transaction, the Durst Organization will pay $100 million to assume an interest in the 1,776-foot-tall skyscraper and be in charge of leasing the rest of the tower, sources said. John Bellando, Condé’s chief financial officer and chief operating officer who had been spearheading talks for billionaire Chairman S.I. Newhouse, Jr. said, “We believe that moving to 1 World Trade Center will be a catalyst to help transform downtown similar to our move to Times Square in 1999.” Condé is not expected to move in until 2015, a spokeswoman said.

But New York officials — after years of delays — are thrilled to announce the deal just months before the 10th anniversary of the Twin Towers attacks. “Condé Nast is an international franchise and signing them on as an anchor tenant sends a message to the global business community that lower Manhattan is alive, growing and open for business,” said Gov. Cuomo, who oversees the PA. Added PA Executive Director Chris Ward: “We built a new reality at the World Trade Center and this transaction will be the exclamation point on that turnaround.”

The mag giant and the PA signed a non-binding letter of intent last year — but it took months to hammer out the terms. A chief demand of Condé negotiators was that its top executives and clients be able to quickly get in and out of the heavily secured site. Indeed, there will be a provision in the lease that will penalize the PA if it takes too long for honchos to get to their offices, according to a source involved in the negotiations.

Also, the PA has agreed to assume the costs of the last few years of Condé’s lease at 4 Times Square. Durst also operates 4 Times Square.The deal is to be approved at the next PA board meeting. Condé has the right to lease 1 million square feet, but can reduce it to 900,000 square feet, sources said. Tara Stacom’s team at Cushman & Wakefield will continue to work with Durst and the PA to lease the building, sources said

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1MhBkO5gI
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #22014
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

This is great news. Now that 1WTC is fully leased (or that's what I got out of it anyway), other companies will have to move to 2 and 3WTC, so they won't have to stop construction!
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #22015
Shy Ted
Build 'em high

Likes (Received): 0

Hi Guys, Got back to Blighty from NYC yesterday.

All I can say is WOW! What a city. Had a great time, will post some of my pics when I get a chance (to be fair,pics nowhere near as good as ones already posted).
Shy Ted no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #22016
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how this leasing will effect the other towers. Hopefully it will allot towers 2 and 3 to proceed much more quickly. Although the U.S. economy is looking increasingly shaky and that could effect things.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #22017
toren1776

Quote:
On the upper part of your picture there should be an arrow button right to the Facebook/Twitter/Mail buttons, click on it. Then select "Grab the HTML/BBCode" (if enabled on your account), select the size you want; select "BBCode" below and finally copy and paste.
Thanks, that worked!. Here is the diagram I was trying to show before:

[IMG]image hosted on flickr
tower by k_olivier12, on Flickr[/IMG]

The larger blue triangle (any one of the N,S,E,W facades) is superimposed along the central line with the smaller black triangle (any one of the NE,NW,SE,SW facades). The thick red line denotes where the two triangles intersect-(and thus have the same width). This is where the regular octagon (floor 72) is located.

Last edited by toren1776; May 18th, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #22018
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
This is great news. Now that 1WTC is fully leased (or that's what I got out of it anyway), other companies will have to move to 2 and 3WTC, so they won't have to stop construction!
Really? All that space left in the Times square building will be there to be filled also, and cheaper perhaps, so maybe those companies will go there. It's a zero sum game.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #22019
Kurtin

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotila View Post
I love these sorta pictures - reminds me of the shot from Godzilla from Jersey where the WTC was shrouded in fog

See below:

"Look at it, it's perfect. An island, water on all sides, but like no other island in the world, this is a place where he can easliy hide. He's in there some place.."

Same here. That is the movie that reminds me of NYC. The towers covered in dense clouds, rain and cold dark weather, the sum of late 20th century NYC.

These new towers being built will be the avatars for the city for the 21st century as the original WTC was the avatar for the city for the late 20th century.
Kurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #22020
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

wow

I can´t wait when they will have these towers built, especially the Foster´s tower Didn´t like the old Twins, I´m sorry for all the families and friends of those who died in there. New York is aiming higher!
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center