daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #2261
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwing View Post
If it didn't warrant a response, why are you arguing what you interpret to be an 'ignorant' statement? Your incongruencies reveal the true source of ignorance...
your answer lies in #2262. you should really take a look at the most recent post of a thread before trying to be witty; just a suggestion.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #2262
Knightwing

Likes (Received): 0

This of course is a classic case of people not knowing how to act when they finally receive that which has been denied them for an extended period of time. Congratulations on building a few towers taller than (700-800 ft). Furthermore, screw what the Council on Tall buildings and Urban Habitat says about including spires in the height of buildings, pound for pound, your tallest (FT) will still be shorter than Sears let alone the Chi Spire. So you mean to tell me after over 25 years, your soon to be tallest still comes up shorter than Chicago's soon to be 2nd tallest? How much clearer do you want? I think someone said it best when they gave the illustration of placing a 3000ft spire on their garage which would technically qualify as WTB by the aforementioned council's criteria. This is of course obsurd...

And by the way Mantle, I read that post well before I responded to your original rhetoric.
Knightwing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #2263
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

lmao knightwing isn't going to make many friends here
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #2264
Knightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
lmao knightwing isn't going to make many friends here
Yep, I'm just waiting on them to fix SSP...
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #2265
cincobarrio
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwing View Post
This of course is a classic case of people not knowing how to act when they finally receive that which has been denied them for an extended period of time. Congratulations on building a few towers taller than (700-800 ft). Furthermore, screw what the Council on Tall buildings and Urban Habitat says about including spires in the height of buildings, pound for pound, your tallest (FT) will still be shorter than Sears let alone the Chi Spire. So you mean to tell me after over 25 years, your soon to be tallest still comes up shorter than Chicago's soon to be 2nd tallest? How much clearer do you want? I think someone said it best when they gave the illustration of placing a 3000ft spire on their garage which would technically qualify as WTB by the aforementioned council's criteria. This is of course obsurd...

And by the way Mantle, I read that post well before I responded to your original rhetoric.
the cranky child comes out of the closet, i love it. chicago is going to stay second fiddle to NYC, alpha status and skyline, for as long as the two stand, so just kill yourself now.

no disrespect to any other chicagoans (nians/ites?), this guy's just hilarious.
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #2266
305Lover

Likes (Received): 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred View Post
^ Poor Tammy Faye. God bless her. She looked like the Crypt Keeper in that interview with Larry King.
Didn't she die like hours after the interview. She looks dead in that avatar!
R.I.P.
305Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #2267
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Can't wait to see how people will react when all the new NY supertalls start coming to light.

Back OT, the core has even more rebar now.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #2268
cincobarrio
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Can't wait to see how people will react when all the new NY supertalls start coming to light.

Back OT, the core has even more rebar now.
i really can't wait for the renders of the msg twins. shit, i'll even take massing models. i'm just waiting to see if it's as huge as promised, because that's all the plan needs to make people FLIP.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #2269
Knightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMantle View Post
no disrespect to any other chicagoans (nians/ites?), this guy's just hilarious.
Actually I'm from New York...
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #2270
Knightwing

Well Somerville, NJ but close enough.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #2271
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #2272
cincobarrio
Lurker

somerville jersey? gee whiz... i no longer care about what you have to say regarding, erm, anything.

- i guess you win, cheers.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #2273
cincobarrio
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
my thought process = "get ******* pataki away from that", "why is libeskind still relevant?", and "LOL maki" - it took me about 10 seconds to notice and i actually laughed out loud.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #2274
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Well NY does dominate over Chicago in other aspects. Winning baseball teams. Real, non-middle America culture. Water that isn't poisoned with mercury. Five skylines (downtown, midtown, NJ, Queens, and most importantly, Brooklyn). You guys even stole Al Capone from us (yes, he grew up in the BK). Columbia beats UChi. By no means do you win the overall height battle, just because you have a few taller buildings. Plain and simple, you could fit multiple Chicago skylines in NY. By 2012, New York will have 7 supertalls (not including the new Madison Square Garden and Westside developments; and yes, 7 just like Mickey), while Chicago will have 6.

Regardless, we come from the same country, we shouldn't really compete. Chicago has a beautiful, elaborate skyline, the Sox did win somehow in '04, and I'll vote for Obama over Hillary. Plus, Common's new album is pretty good, even if it is sold in Starbucks.

Most importantly, NewYorkMantle is way a cooler name than Knightwing.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #2275
Knightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMantle View Post
- i guess you win, cheers.
I guess I do. Cheers to you too!
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #2276
Knightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
Well NY does dominate over Chicago in other aspects. Winning baseball teams. Real, non-middle America culture. Water that isn't poisoned with mercury. Five skylines (downtown, midtown, NJ, Queens, and most importantly, Brooklyn). You guys even stole Al Capone from us (yes, he grew up in the BK). Columbia beats UChi. By no means do you win the overall height battle, just because you have a few taller buildings. Plain and simple, you could fit multiple Chicago skylines in NY. By 2012, New York will have 7 supertalls (not including the new Madison Square Garden and Westside developments; and yes, 7 just like Mickey), while Chicago will have 6.

Regardless, we come from the same country, we shouldn't really compete. Chicago has a beautiful, elaborate skyline, the Sox did win somehow in '04, and I'll vote for Obama over Hillary. Plus, Common's new album is pretty good, even if it is sold in Starbucks.

Most importantly, NewYorkMantle is way a cooler name than Knightwing.
Absolutely, both cities do what they do exceptionally well. Its just crazy that pro NY for some automatically means anti Chi and vice versa. The reality is there are areas that NY wins over Chi and other areas that Chi wins over NY. For instance, shall we talk about winning basketball teams and cleanliness?!?
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #2277
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

> Sculptor Kenneth Snelson is working on the spire at the top of the building.
> The glass prisms at the base will each be 13-feet tall.
> The base of the tower will be 186-feet tall.
> The base of the tower will be 200-feet by 200-feet.
> The top of the tower will be 145-feet by 145-feet.
> The shaft of the tower will be 1,182 feet tall.
> The height of the base and shaft together will be 1,368 feet -- the height of the roof of 1 World Trade center.
> The main structure will be topped by a 408-foot-tall mast containing antennae. The base of the mast will be surrounded by a 145-foot wide ring containing more equipment.
> The overall height of the structure will be 1,776 feet -- a number symbolizing the year of America's Declaration of Independence.
> The building will have 2,600,000 square feet of rentable space.
> The trees surrounding the Freedom Tower will be sweetgum trees.
> 1st-19th floors - Podium
> 20th-63rd floors - Offices
> 64th floor - Sky lobby
> 65th - 88th floors - Offices
> 89th and 90th floors - Transmission equipment
> 91st - 100th floors - Mechanical
> 100th - 101st floors - Restaurant
> 102nd floor - Observation deck
> 103rd - 108th floors - Mechanical

>The spire will be an intense beam of light that will be lit at night and will likely be visible over a thousand feet (305 m) into the air above the tower. New York City is a suitable place to set such a light pointing towards the sky without complaints of light pollution by astronomers, as the night sky in locations near New York City is already far too bright for serious astronomical observers.

Last edited by Carlos123; September 10th, 2007 at 08:47 AM.
Carlos123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #2278
Tom Ace
Style beat me to it.

Likes (Received): 2

I think the light beam into the sky is the coolest thing about the tower (although i do like the overall design, just wish the spire was a little bit more triangular). i can't wait until the first time I drive to New York after this is built and see the beat of light on the horizon, thats gonna be an incredible feeling.
Tom Ace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #2279
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

I think they should make another freedom tower, and give New York its Twin Tower skyline back
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2280
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I think they should make another freedom tower, and give New York its Twin Tower skyline back
Yes this opinion has already been established many times before.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center