daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #23021
Tith01ny

Likes (Received): 127

Here is a photograph of both the old and new WTC models i've made.
The old WTC was designed by STR and the new was by various modelers on the scale model section, including myself.

By timjames852 at 2011-06-19
Tith01ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #23022
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

I would have built the twins twice as high in the exact same position!

With this kind of memorial, the city will have a terrorist scar forever!

Last edited by devilsadvocate; June 19th, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #23023
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

It's definitely not scar, it truely reflects the new era of New York City.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #23024
Fishman92

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
I would have built the twins twice as high in the exact same position!

With this kind of memorial, the city will have a terrorist scar forever!
Eyes rolling down a hill.

Not coming back, get over it.
Fishman92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #23025
FCU

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tith01ny View Post
The old WTC was designed by STR and the new was by various modelers on the scale model section, including myself.
Sorry for going off-topic, but your WTC models are awesome! Do you have a link of all five new WTC buildings? I can only find 3WTC at your website and forum.
FCU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #23026
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:

Have they left the exact positions to the millimetre of the original towers footprints unchanged in that memorial garden? Or are the two squares purely symbolic?
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #23027
Dominance

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

I am sorry to be a little off topic here but, where did you get those statues of both the old WTC and the New WTC? Thank you.
Dominance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #23028
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
Have they left the exact positions to the millimetre of the original towers footprints unchanged in that memorial garden? Or are the two squares purely symbolic?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they used the underground columns of the old WTC that are still intact/unharmed by 9/11 to create the footprints of the memorial pools. So that means the pools would be actually < 1 mm error.

Nice renderings, by the way. I didn't know 3 WTC and 4 WTC stood that close together.
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #23029
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

I was found the subject on building the twin towers the same and taller as foolhardiness either thou those great buildings where inanimate objects,to me they where like people and when loves one leave they never come back and like loved ones that have left us they should stay with us as memories and we should move on with are lives.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #23030
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Hey guys. I was surfing the internet and found this site a recent video about the building's construction.

Unfortunately, the narration of the video is in Portuguese, because its author is Brazilian, but the interview with the executive director of the project is with the original audio.

http://video.br.msn.com/watch/video/...are:permalink:

In this video, they talk about the construction of the building 1WTC, and the memorial.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #23031
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
Off-topic, but oh well... The answer to your first question is no. The answer to your second, yes. The pools are "slightly" smaller than the dimensions of the twin towers footprints. Each pool will be a 176' (~53.6m) square, positioned inside the 211' 10" (~64.5m) footprint of each tower. That means ~30% smaller than the original outline. Only the pool's containment structure will actually be 211' 10" (~64.5m) long, but won't be visible until they open the museum, since it's underground.

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center sunset by zombieite, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower by nickspictures.com, on Flickr

Last edited by Otie; June 19th, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Correction, the pools won't be centered.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #23032
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

I wonder when the cocoon will be lifted up?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #23033
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
I was found the subject on building the twin towers the same and taller as foolhardiness either thou those great buildings where inanimate objects,to me they where like people and when loves one leave they never come back and like loved ones that have left us they should stay with us as memories and we should move on with are lives.
Then you should familiarize yourself with other great buildings that were destroyed and then many years later, painstakingly recreated. Like the famous Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow:

Blown up and leveled in the 1930's buy the Communist Party and then lovingly rebuilt and restored (Including the stunning interior artwork) in the late 1990's.

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_...iour_Cathedral

(Images from the Wikipedia article found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_...iour_Cathedral )
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #23034
RKOwens4

Likes (Received): 1

There's a difference between repairing something that was heavily damaged and rebuilding from scratch something that was completely destroyed. The Pentagon was repaired and restored to the same as it was before, but it was only heavily damaged, not completely destroyed. The World Financial Center/Winter Gardens was heavily damaged and repaired. The Twin Towers were completely destroyed.

Also, the cathedral you link to, even though it also was completely destroyed and rebuilt from scratch, that rebuilding didn't start for almost 70 years after it was destroyed. If in about 70 years, something destroys the current WTC complex (say, an earthquake or freak tsunami wave like Day After Tomorrow/Deep Impact), then enough time probably would have passed for people to be okay with the Twin Towers to be rebuilt. Right now, it's too soon.
RKOwens4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #23035
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

lol, please tell me you don't believe something like a "freak tsunami wave like Day After Tomorrow" is possible.
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #23036
ThrEeve

Likes (Received): 0

Anyone here a fan of long-distance shots like I am?

Some good views of the new WTC would be from the North Shore Towers on the Queens/Nassau line. It's a long-shot from 16 miles away but pre-9/11 it was amazing, and will be again once 1wtc is complete.

Also from the Bayonne Bridge, featured in the movie Godzilla, at a slightly lesser 8 miles away would provide a spectacular view of the new site.
ThrEeve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #23037
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Dia De los Padres!

Carlos has NO competition!!!!!!!!!!

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0782 by Ceva321, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0778 by Ceva321, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0777 by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #23038
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
lol, please tell me you don't believe something like a "freak tsunami wave like Day After Tomorrow" is possible.
I don't want to frighten you or anything, but I believe there is a volcanic island in tenerife which is predicted to slide into the sea sooner or later in an eruption. If/when it happens it's predicted to send a megatsunami stright across the atlantic to the east coast.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #23039
Optimum1368

Likes (Received): 2

Has anybody else noticed that new 7 wtc bears a striking resemblance to the 3 wtc Marriott hotel? Obviously there's a difference in size but the designs look very similar.
Optimum1368 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #23040
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimum1368 View Post
Has anybody else noticed that new 7 wtc bears a striking resemblance to the 3 wtc Marriott hotel? Obviously there's a difference in size but the designs look very similar.
How so?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center