daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM   #23141
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post

Yes course u can, can't remember where i got that.
Could you send it to me? It would make me very happy. ^^
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM   #23142
Kurtin

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
but u never know 1 day them pools could get built on. They might get fed up of cleaning them out like i do with my fish tank!!
I could imagine that. There was the algae bloom breakout on the south pool not so long ago. Pain in the arse to maintain over time and expensive too.
Kurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM   #23143
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Despite the fact that many people will think it disrespectful, these pools are going to have thousands of dollars in change thrown in them every week. That should help mitigate the costs of algae remediation.

Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:27 PM   #23144
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^ The pH Control System should solve the problem.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_8225 New Tower at Ground Zero by Loco Russo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

tower 1 now at 70 stories, 34 to go. by travels of a monkey, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Manhattan by Antonio H, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #23145
azn_man12345

Oh my God that last picture! I just came! :O
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:51 PM   #23146
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Oh my God that last picture! I just came! :O
came where??

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:02 AM   #23147
Kurtin

Prob on the keyboard i guess.

Amazing photo the last one is. Shame this digital camera technology and software wasnt around in pre 2001.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:10 AM   #23148
Kurtin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Despite the fact that many people will think it disrespectful, these pools are going to have thousands of dollars in change thrown in them every week. That should help mitigate the costs of algae remediation.

Never considered that, as the memorial pools being wishing wells. People would look at you in an odd way if you threw coins in the pools. I wonder if people will be throwing flowers in the memorial pools this anniversary. Might clog the pumps.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:17 AM   #23149
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

[QUOTE=azn_man12345 ]Oh my God that last picture! I just came!

easy it there aznman12345 don't get too excited.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:22 AM   #23150
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Whats up with some of these off-color panels?
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:24 AM   #23151
Traynor
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtin View Post
Never considered that, as the memorial pools being wishing wells. People would look at you in an odd way if you threw coins in the pools. I wonder if people will be throwing flowers in the memorial pools this anniversary. Might clog the pumps.
Many keepsakes, photographs, letters, mementos, stuffed animals, and flowers will find their way into the waters every week and many times more near and on anniversaries.

It will be less than a couple of weeks after the memorial is opened that signs telling you not to throw things in the fountains will appear and Port Authority guards will patrol the perimeters looking for possible offenders. Regularly you will see hipwader-wearing custodians walking around the bottom of the fountains, with pool nets and rake-like devices, scooping up all the crap at the bottom.

Do you remember the stuff at the impromptu memorials popping up all over Manhattan right after 9/11? Imagine all that stuff finding its way here.
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:25 AM   #23152
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Outdoor Observation Deck at One World Trade Center a No-Go, Developer says

Mayor Bloomberg thinks an outdoor observation deck at the new Freedom tower would be a draw. (DNAinfo/Benjamin Fractenberg)
By Jill Colvin

DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

MANHATTAN — Mayor Michael Bloomberg would be among the visitors to an outdoor observation deck at the soon-to-be-completed One World Trade Center — that is, if there were one.

The South Tower of the World Trade Center once featured indoor and outdoor observation decks that offered sweeping views of the city and beyond.

But because of logistical issues, the new One World Trade Center will include two stories of indoor observation space on its top floors, but no outdoor deck, the developer says.

Asked about the decision during his weekly sit-down with WOR’s John Gambling by concerned caller Chris, from Staten Island, the mayor said the deck will be missed.

"People love to get that view. I remember being in the Twin Towers, Windows on the World [restaurant] and [the Trade Center's] observation decks many, many times after it was built and there was a 'wow' factor. Great tourist attraction. Not just tourists, but New Yorkers who wanted the view," he said.

While Bloomberg acknowledged the omission "must have been a business decision," he encouraged called Chris to petition the Port Authority, which is in charge.

"I guarantee I'd go look at it," Bloomberg said.

But Jordan Barowitz, a spokesman for the Durst Organization, the PA's development partner, said an outdoor deck would be near-impossible because of a planned antenna on the roof.

Unlike the Empire State building, the tower will also have no set-backs, which Barowitz said ruled out creating a deck mid-way up the tower.

"I think it would be very, very difficult," he said.

The PA announced in March that it had scrapped a plan to build a sky-deck eatery at the top of the tower reminiscent of Windows on the World, deeming it a money-loser because of the challenges of transporting people and supplies up so many stories in such a busy building.

"The logistics of it were too difficult," Barowitz added. "It’s not a good business decision."
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM   #23153
azn_man12345

It doesn't even have to be on 1's roof. 2's roof is probably too small, but I really do think that using 3 or 4's roof as an outdoor ob. deck would be an amazing idea.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:34 AM   #23154
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
It doesn't even have to be on 1's roof. 2's roof is probably too small, but I really do think that using 3 or 4's roof as an outdoor ob. deck would be an amazing idea.
I agree, I think the roof of 4 WTC would make a great observation deck. It would also have a good view of the memorial.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:56 AM   #23155
scooterboy

Likes (Received): 1

Is it politician talk for OK you can have an observation deck,look how amazing i am to get you this please vote for me
scooterboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:52 AM   #23156
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Outdoor Observation Deck at One

challenges of transporting people and supplies up so many stories in such a busy building.

"The logistics of it were too difficult," Barowitz added. "It’s not a good business decision."
There has to be something else to it. how could they transport all of that stuff in the 70s, but we cant transport it now?
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:18 AM   #23157
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
There has to be something else to it. how could they transport all of that stuff in the 70s, but we cant transport it now?

Because this tower is a lot smaller than the twin towers. At the top they were about 208 feet on a side whereas this tower is only 140 ft on a side at the top or something like that. So there is much less floor space for a restaraunt and it could also be that there will be fewer elevators to transport items.

Actually, the much smaller floor space is probably why they have to make the observation deck two floors - otherwise it will get overcrowded.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:21 AM   #23158
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
I agree, I think the roof of 4 WTC would make a great observation deck. It would also have a good view of the memorial.

Actually, here is an idea - put an outdoor observatory on number 3 and an outdoor bar/lounge on the top of number 4.

That would be sooooooo awesome.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:35 AM   #23159
Northerly

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=Otie;80121856]^ The pH Control System should solve the problem.

Otie - what camera are you using? Savage pics!
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM   #23160
Bricken Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
^ The pH Control System should solve the problem.

i would hope so. but hopefully not bales of barley straws.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center