daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #23221
toren1776

Likes (Received): 3

Where in my post did I ever mention the twin towers? I was referring to the future view of the LM skyline not the twins. The 1,200 footer is 15 Penn Plaza, which also has not been built yet.

Besides, you live in Paris, you could care less.
toren1776 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #23222
gikon

Likes (Received): 0

all those discussions about the old twins better than the new wtc and whatever over and over again,...

cant you just focus on what is in actual fact?

in my opinion the old twins where just amazingly beautiful and stunning, but im so looking forward to see the new center!
let us all get over the things that could have theoretically happened or built or whatever and whatch a new era in manhattan rising?!

cheers
gikon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #23223
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post
Where in my post did I ever mention the twin towers? I was referring to the future view of the LM skyline not the twins. The 1,200 footer is 15 Penn Plaza, which also has not been built yet.

Besides, you live in Paris, you could care less.
Then what "iconic" view are you talking about? The current view of a half-built 1WTC and Beekman and those 1970s corporate boxes along Water Street?

So the clustering of a two supertall buildings in close vicinity of each other Lower Manhattan will "ruin" that iconic view? LOL.

And I actually own a home in Manhattan, so yes, I care a lot. In fact, I can't wait until I see the beautiful 2WTC standing from my window!
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #23224
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
You two are stupid.

Yes, let's cancel a beautiful 1,350ft tall building, that would not only add beauty to New York's skyline but will also be of economic benefit to the city and downtown once its leased, all because it will "block" 1WTC from Brooklyn.

As if anyone cares...
Calm the hell down man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1young View Post

So many times I view people's responses and comments on other people's posts and I can't help but wonder, "couldn't you have just utilized that sweet little scroll function on your mouse and ignore it?" But, every once in a while I spy something that just so deserves attention, like this bull. However, I will try to be respectful.

Are you people kidding me? These comments suggesting that construction be halted on any of these building because they may block views of 1WTC is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of. Besides, seriously, if your view of 1WTC is blocked by 2WTC, how many blocks do you have to walk to the south or to the north before your view isn't blocked?

Anyhow, thank you for humoring my sudden lack of tolerance. I will now resume my loving relationship with the scroll option on my mouse and ignore some of the crazy things posted here Because let's face it, the great stuffed posted on here far outweighs the bad. Thanks goodness!
I'm not saying it because it'll block views. I couldn't care less what it blocks, I live in the UK, I just don't like the design.

We're only stating our opinions, goodness me.

Well I'm not saying they should cancel it because of my opinion, last I heard it was indefinitely on hold above a stump anyway. You're opinion is that it's beautiful. Mine is that if it were maybe 100m shorter it would be far better, as it's not nearly nice enough to justify it's height. The economic benefit is substantial I agree, but again, the decision seems to have already been made that it won't be built for some time, as I guess they don't have the tennants.

It's nice that we can air our opinions that maybe, they should basically continue with their plans NOT to build 2WTC, and you guys shout at us as if we are ORDERING them to tear down 1WTC. Damn. People have expressed far harsher views, notably about 1WTC and how they should rebuild the Twins. THAT is the kind of opinion, which after 10 years, is really annoying and probably deserves that sort of response.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #23225
Optimum1368

Likes (Received): 2

As a New Yorker, I see Ground Zero everyday. I can assure you when Tower 2 is built, all this 'it ruins the view' nonsense is going to fade. Yes, I agree that the Twin Towers 'won' the view from the Brooklyn Bridge, but they sure didn't win at everything. They were big, grey, boxes that was so typical of 70's architecture. February 26, 1993 told us they were a disaster when evacuation was needed.
I'm not saying the FT is perfect at all (I would rather see ''Twin Towers II'' built at the site) but architecturally, it is a improvement over the Twins, and its safety features are light years ahead of what the Twin Towers had.
This new WTC complex will provide stunning views, maybe not from the Brooklyn Bridge, but from Midtown it looks great, and across the Hudson River (especially at night) it looks terrific.
Please stop this 'competition' nonsense, it's a World Trade Center, not a beauty pageant.
Optimum1368 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #23226
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

I took these earlier this week

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #23227
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman92 View Post
They removed the video screens and the x bracing from it.
I never cared for the video screens. I thought they looked tacky.

I cannot wait for 1 WTC to finish.
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #23228
Rubba

Does anyone remember the original WTC??? Each building was totally blocked by one another from two vantage points...so to me it doesn't really matter
Rubba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #23229
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by toren1776 View Post
Clearly it's not so ridiculous if the manager of the ESB made an affair out of a much smaller 1,200 foot building being built several blocks away from it and partially blocking it from New Jersey. Here 2 WTC is just as tall as 1 WTC, it's located literally a stone's throw away from the tower, and the view is blocked from the most iconic vantage point in NYC.

They can build 10 2WTCs, just not on the WTC site. Besides, and I can't stress this enough, the tower is NOT planned to built to its full height anyways!

2 WTC is part of the WTC site. Or does the name 2 WTC, mean nothing to you. Anyway it's getting built so get use to it.

Rubba, you do understand they were twin towers right.
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #23230
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
Are you really comparing the nonexistent grey nondescript 1970s boxes that were the original WTC to the Empire State Building?

If the original twins were still standing and a taller building were proposed that would block the twins from that certain vantage point, nobody would care because the original twins weren't attractive at all and they were nowhere near as much as a global icon as the Empire State Building when they were standing. The Empire State Building is to New York what the Eiffel is to Paris.

The new WTC complex is not the not the old twin towers, but a brand new huge office park. I don't understand the comparison regarding the blocked views? This not a replica of the twins, so that iconic view of the old twin towers from the Brooklyn Bridge are gone forever. Time to move on.
The twins weren't just boxes. They were a far superior design to the new WTC.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #23231
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

far superior design to the new WTC i wouldn't say that. just my opinion.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #23232
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Superior in what way? Superior because there was two of them or superior because of how massive they were. Superior to ESB, sure they were built 40 years after. Superior to this build, which will be finish 40 years after them. Yeah I'm have to disagree with you.
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #23233
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
But I can't see that column on wtcprogress.com's webcam...
Neither do I...

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center by Allen.G, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #23234
yankee fan for life

don't get me wrong i loved the old twin tower complex i have so much found memories but when it came to design i found the twins to be bland and dull .
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #23235
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

The future view of Lower Manhattan from New Jersey will definitely become the iconic New York postcard view, due to the layout and alignment of the towers. I am sure it will probably be very nice.

Why many people are lamenting the loss of the Brooklyn Bridge view is exactly that... There will be no bridge in the new iconic view from Jersey.

It may not be a big loss to some, but to others a beautiful bridge with its sweeping suspension catenaries and twinkling lights, epitomizes what constitutes a great skyline view. It screems "Big City". Artistically speaking, without a bridge in the view, the view is diminished just enough that it turns a photagraph into a 9 out of 10 and not a full 10 when it comes to skyline photography.
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #23236
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
The future view of Lower Manhattan from New Jersey will definitely become the iconic New York postcard view, due to the layout and alignment of the towers. I am sure it will probably be very nice.

Why many people are lamenting the loss of the Brooklyn Bridge view is exactly that... There will be no bridge in the new iconic view from Jersey.

It may not be a big loss to some, but to others a beautiful bridge with its sweeping suspension catenaries and twinkling lights, epitomizes what constitutes a great skyline view. It screems "Big City". Artistically speaking, without a bridge in the view, the view is diminished just enough that it turns a photagraph into a 9 out of 10 and not a full 10 when it comes to skyline photography.
What's wrong with the Manhattan Bridge then? I know the Brooklyn Bridge is what everyone talks about with this 'iconic shot', but could you not see 1WTC from behind 2WTC from Manhattan Bridge, if you need a bridge in the shot??
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #23237
ThrEeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
The twins weren't just boxes. They were a far superior design to the new WTC.
I agree, they were my favorite buildings and still are, and my love of the former twins would pass over fine to the new WTC but that god-awful Diamond tower known as 2WTC is making sure that won't happen. In a perfect world, 2 and 3 would be stumps, hell, in a perfect world we'd still have the twins, much to the dismay of some users on here.
ThrEeve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #23238
Optimum1368

Likes (Received): 2

I agree.

Last edited by Optimum1368; June 25th, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Optimum1368 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #23239
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

why would anyone want stumps? not only would it be a poor choice in aesthetics, but it would also hinder the continued economic development of new york,
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #23240
yankee fan for life

I find the design of 1wtc and 2 wtc with the exception of 3 wtc to be innovative and refreshing.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center