daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #23241
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
why would anyone want stumps? not only would it be a poor choice in aesthetics, but it would also hinder the continued economic development of new york,
I'll tell you why. A stump for the time being for 2WTC would mean they might, and it's a slim chance, give it a redesign, a significant one. That's what I'd like. Or just make it 100m shorter.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #23242
Optimum1368

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I'll tell you why. A stump for the time being for 2WTC would mean they might, and it's a slim chance, give it a redesign, a significant one. That's what I'd like. Or just make it 100m shorter.
I hope so, I see what the architect was trying to do the with the sloped roof - give it and identity. Sadly, that hasn't worked.
Optimum1368 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #23243
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimum1368 View Post
I hope so, I see what the architect was trying to do the with the sloped roof - give it and identity. Sadly, that hasn't worked.
I liked it to begin with. I thought from an aerial view that it was just 4 rectangles with a bit of space between them, and I very much like that sort of right angled symmetry, but when I realised it was all twisted, I went off it.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #23244
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

What the hell are you saying "They're not planning on building 2WTC"?

Of course they are. Look at the renders on the site. They show the 4 WTC towers standing together tall and proud.

They ONLY reason 2 and 3 are so far behind 1 and 4 is because of the damn economy. The PA and Silverstein wanted 2 and 3 to be built to ground level and stop until they could get an anchor tenant as opposed to sitting empty for years.

Now with UBS looking at 3, it's very likely 3 won't be stopped at ground level. And by the time 2 gets above grade, there'll probably be a tenant ready to go.

I don't know about the "iconic view" from the Brooklyn Bridge, but as others have said, if it's that big of a deal, can't you move a couple hundred feet in any other direction?

And finally, about this Old WTC vs New WTC business... Yes. We all love the twins. We all miss them. As skyscraper enthusiasts, we all loved the idea of two supertall 110 story buildings right next to each other. But the truth of the matter is, that many people in New York thought that they were gigantic monstrosities that stuck out of the skyline like no other.

Many people found them incredibly ugly. And as sad as it is to say it, it was only after 9/11 that everyone hopped on the "the Twin Towers were amazing" bandwagon.

Personally, I don't think either WTC complex is better or worse. They're two seperate entities. But in safety aspects, the New WTC is MILES ahead of the old WTC, and will very likely be the safest skyscrapers in the world when complete.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #23245
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #23246
Optimum1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post

Of course they are. Look at the renders on the site. They show the 4 WTC towers standing together tall and proud.

They ONLY reason 2 and 3 are so far behind 1 and 4 is because of the damn economy. The PA and Silverstein wanted 2 and 3 to be built to ground level and stop until they could get an anchor tenant as opposed to sitting empty for years.

Now with UBS looking at 3, it's very likely 3 won't be stopped at ground level. And by the time 2 gets above grade, there'll probably be a tenant ready to go.

I don't know about the "iconic view" from the Brooklyn Bridge, but as others have said, if it's that big of a deal, can't you move a couple hundred feet in any other direction?

And finally, about this Old WTC vs New WTC business... Yes. We all love the twins. We all miss them. As skyscraper enthusiasts, we all loved the idea of two supertall 110 story buildings right next to each other. But the truth of the matter is, that many people in New York thought that they were gigantic monstrosities that stuck out of the skyline like no other.

Many people found them incredibly ugly. And as sad as it is to say it, it was only after 9/11 that everyone hopped on the "the Twin Towers were amazing" bandwagon.

Personally, I don't think either WTC complex is better or worse. They're two seperate entities. But in safety aspects, the New WTC is MILES ahead of the old WTC, and will very likely be the safest skyscrapers in the world when complete.
Very well said, I agree that the 'WTC Towers were beautiful' opinion is one started when they collapsed. If you took a time machine back to 1992 and asked a New Yorker what he/she thought of the Twin Towers, the response would be lukewarm at best. The new WTC is getting the same reception here in Manhattan, but when it's complete, the sounds of people screaming for new Twin Towers will be replaced by the sounds of water flowing from the reflecting pools.
Optimum1368 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #23247
Felipe_BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrEeve View Post
I agree, they were my favorite buildings and still are, and my love of the former twins would pass over fine to the new WTC but that god-awful Diamond tower known as 2WTC is making sure that won't happen. In a perfect world, 2 and 3 would be stumps, hell, in a perfect world we'd still have the twins, much to the dismay of some users on here.
I'm new here, so I have to say a few words about The Twins, too. I miss them, too. I liked it very much, although they were "just boxes". But, exactly beacuse of that, The Twins were actually unique. What a monumental boxes they were. I feel sorry that I will never see that historic sight, when approaching New York, 'cause I have still not been there.

Anyway, I can not wait to see the new WTC built.
Felipe_BG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #23248
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Who cares if the view gets block. The building's still going to be there. If you want to see 1 WTC outside of manhattan, move to Jersey City believe me we won't miss you.
Well that's an arrogant and offensive response. A lot of people care and it doesn't give you the right to tell us to move. Don't be an *******.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
why would anyone want stumps? not only would it be a poor choice in aesthetics, but it would also hinder the continued economic development of new york,
lol, as if that "economic development" is directly benefiting you? Anyone who argues for 2 WTC to be built because they're concerned about the city's "economic development" is either a conservative or just loony. You think everyone's lives in the city are going to magically improve when the rest of these towers are completed? I don't think money's going to fall from the sky for anyone, it'll just keep filling the pockets of the filthy rich.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #23249
Optimum1368

The new WTC will be a new start. A recovery from a decade that was most famous for the attack. It will rise up, along with our freedom and integrity, once again, to the top of the world.
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #23250
Felipe_BG

Quote:

I agree.

And about the fact that so many people "reconsidered" their love to The Twins, well, yeah, I just can say that it happened so often in the history of mankind with artists, too. Only after they passed away, they were "rediscovered".
Felipe_BG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #23251
kenersej
I love New York!

Likes (Received): 16

ENOUGH with all the f*cking bullsh*t!!!
Can't we just make an agreement NOT to discuss off-topic stuff, like the construction of the WTC 2. You guys can do that shit elsewhere...

This thread is supposed to be about the construction of WTC1, nothing more, nothing less.

WTC1 thread = WTC1 ONLY
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #23252
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
You two are stupid.

Yes, let's cancel a beautiful 1,350ft tall building, that would not only add beauty to New York's skyline but will also be of economic benefit to the city and downtown once its leased, all because it will "block" 1WTC from Brooklyn.

As if anyone cares...
+1000
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #23253
trulsaal
Student in New York 2012

Likes (Received): 0

Anybody else think the towers looks much bigger and stronger in this render? Don't know what the changes by this image and the final design is without the spire, but i like this better overall.
trulsaal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #23254
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Same design. The rest of the complex is changed in it though.
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #23255
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimum1368 View Post
The new WTC will be a new start. A recovery from a decade that was most famous for the attack. It will rise up, along with our freedom and integrity, once again, to the top of the world.
*Cough* Uh...yeah. I agree with the new start, not so much with your other statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattToronto View Post
Same design. The rest of the complex is changed in it though.
In that rendering? No. The design of the platform ring is different, and perhaps the spire. (I apologize if you were alluding to the building itself). ^^;
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #23256
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

When the building is topped out, will construction on the spire and communications ring begin immediately?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #23257
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
When the building is topped out, will construction on the spire and communications ring begin immediately?
Let's hope so. The PA hasn't said yet. That's a good question to ask on wtcprogress.com's Q&A's.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #23258
emmgtv989

Likes (Received): 0

So I am loving the updates.
Also want to congratulate New York for the passage of marriage equality! Now the WTC complex can be a backdrop for the marriage of all couples. It has been a good day.
emmgtv989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #23259
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmgtv989 View Post
So I am loving the updates.
Also want to congratulate New York for the passage of marriage equality! Now the WTC complex can be a backdrop for the marriage of all couples. It has been a good day.
"Marriage equality"?

An Artist Who Disappears, Appearing at Ground Zero

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s-ground-zero/
Quote:
At 9:40 a.m. Thursday, a man stood across from the World Trade Center site covered in paint. With his whitened face, he looked, thought Koos Koning, a Dutch tourist, as though it were Sept. 11 all over again. “Maybe he came out of the World Trade Center with a white face and ashes.”

Really, the man, Liu Bolin, is a Chinese artist whose latest project – “Hiding in the City” – consists of painting himself and his clothes to resemble his setting so meticulously that he blends into the background. The resulting photographs look as though Mr. Liu has evaporated into British phone booths, Italian ruins and Chinese stadiums. This was his first trip to disappear in New York — for a show that opens at Eli Klein Fine Art in Soho on Wednesday — so his gallerist sent him a list of ideas: Grand Central, the Stock Exchange, a taxi and a bodega. Mr. Liu was insistent.

“I thought about where I wanted, and here is the first place that came to my mind.”

His work is all about disappearance, and it seemed particularly fitting to blend into a space known for a building no longer there — especially Thursday morning, when it was foggy, and the Freedom Tower going up behind him seemed to vanish into the air.

Mr. Liu, who is lanky and chipper, arrived at the intersection of Cedar and Greenwich Streets at 7 a.m. wearing a regulation Chinese military uniform (he likes them for the starchy canvas texture and the tall collars). His entourage included a gallerist who ran out to buy Red Bulls, two young painters and an intern who scrubbed paint drips with Pampers wipes.

It was a hoot for the men of Engine Company No. 10, on their stoop eating cereal, watching the crazy man get dabbed with paint.

First, Mr. Liu’s assistants — trained in realist painting at the same traditional academy he attended — covered his body with tones matching what was behind him. A gallerist took a digital photo of Mr. Liu from the right angle and showed it to him. He nitpicked: the buildings should be better separated.

When Mr. Liu was covered, he looked like a man who had stepped out of a Rothko. His shins were painted in a gray field — the tone of the sidewalk — a blue fence ran across his abdomen, and above that the iron lattices of the Freedom Tower in the fog were presented as a mass of grayish rust among the white of the sky.

With the base layer in place, Mr. Liu marked the placement of his feet and dried off. He teetered back and forth, windmilled his arms, and drank Red Bull through a straw. He doesn’t tire of standing: “There’s something spiritual that keeps me calm. When you think of all the things that happened here.”

It was in 2005, when the Chinese government raided an artists’ village, that Mr. Liu started the project. He said he chooses sites that show that “there is always conflict between the individual and society.” Art critics have seen in his work a commentary on individuals overlooked in cities, or on countries that “disappear” their citizens – as China had jailed dissident artist Ai Wei Wei, released just Wednesday.

Mr. Liu said he knew that to be a Chinese artist making political work was risky; the State could clamp down any time. “You never know when it will happen,” he said, “But you have to prepare for it.”
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #23260
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:

Finally a decent comment here.

I can not understand, where the hell these people have taken this information and that the WTC2 WTC3 not be built. We're talking about New York, USA. It's just you look at recent photos of the site, you can see that the structures are being built. Another thing, as the friend said that message up, already has his eye on 3WTC tenants, and soon we will have in the building 2.

Before publishing information that these buildings are not built, search before talking shit here.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center