daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #23321
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I find it kinda strange how the old buildings in NY are taller than the new ones. Only the WTC truly breaks this rule.
Well, the old art deco style buildings are tall and skinny. The newer international and post modern style buildings are generally fat bastards as the diagram clearly demonstrates.

Although like Beekman, 1WTC will be an exception.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #23322
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Now that I think about it. 1WTC has already beaten AIB and 40WS in roof height and, with it's cranes, it beats AIB and 40WS in pinnacle height too. So it is now the tallest building in lower Manhattan
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #23323
toren1776

Likes (Received): 3

Stop posting unsolicited advertisements!
toren1776 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #23324
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

ignore the ads. best way to deal with them. if it looks like there is no interest in the product then the seller will stop advertising here.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #23325
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Very sick, Kurtin.

So will the building be completed in early 2014?
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #23326
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Very sick, Kurtin.

1WTC should be finished in 2013, from what I know.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #23327
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
1WTC should be finished in 2013, from what I know.
Oh. That's not so bad. I can't wait!
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #23328
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^Due to the delays, I would say it'll be open for usage by 1Q 2014.

image hosted on flickr

Playing in the Big Apple by Dave-T, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo by NiklasMarc

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7919 by jcbonbon, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo by Admiraal
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #23329
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Very sick, Kurtin.

I believe it will be finished in late 2013, opening in early 2014.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #23330
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Topping out should be completed around February of 2012 and soon after word construction of the spire should start and will take around six months to be completed, so my estament 1 wtc should be completed late 2012 or early 2013 and open around 2014.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #23331
Kurtin

Likes (Received): 114

Is it really going to take half a year to erect the spire? seems very very long time frame for that task.

Quote:
Very sick, Kurtin.
lol.
Kurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #23332
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

[QUOTE=Kurtin]Is it really going to take half a year to erect the spire? seems very very long time frame for that task.

from what i remember reading from the the port authority web site its going take that long i could be worng.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #23333
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Sunday June 26, 2011

Happy Gay Pride New York City

image hosted on flickr

7 by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #23334
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

I got to New York yesterday for my four day stay (not here for gay pride day, just here on holiday from Australia). Got an AMAZING view of 1WTC from the airplane, literally flew right over the top of it! It was right outside my window, I couldnt believe we flew right over lower manhattan...picture tells a thousand words I know, but couldnt take one as no electronics allowed on during landing .

The tower is clearly visible on foot from greenley square area, going to the site tomorrow, will hopefully get lots of photos. Can't wait!
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #23335
The Killer
I ♥ Fútbol

Likes (Received): 92

Wow, beautiful
The Killer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #23336
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 252

A million thanks for the gorgeous photo, TowersNYC.

Happy, Happy GAY PRIDE DAY to you ... and congratulations on the passage of legalized and recognized same-sex marriage in The Empire State!!!

Warmest greetings to The Big Apple from The City Of Brotherly Love!!!
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #23337
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

does anyone know what the expected number of workers in this tower and the complex is expected to be? i think in the old complex it was around 50000 people and quite a few more visitors. is the new complex expected to have more or less?
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #23338
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
does anyone know what the expected number of workers in this tower and the complex is expected to be? i think in the old complex it was around 50000 people and quite a few more visitors. is the new complex expected to have more or less?
According to Silverstein Properties, it is supposed to attract more visitors than the previous complex.

Also,

Silverstein: WTC Will Be The New Rockefeller Center
http://www.wtc.com/news/silverstein-...efeller-center
Quote:
After years of setbacks, construction at the World Trade Center site is advancing--but the best is yet to come, explained Larry Silverstein, president and CEO of Silverstein Properties, at the Real Estate Lenders Association's (RELA) final breakfast of their membership year at Seven World Trade Center this morning.

"I don't think most people are going to have a clue about what's to come, and when it does, you are going to see a transformation here overnight," Silverstein said. "The impact and transformation will be similar to what Rockefeller Center did in 1930 for Manhattan's West Side."

As the neighborhood comes back, the $20 billion redevelopment of the 16-acre site has also spurred development around it, including the MTA's new Fulton Street Transit Center, the $4 billion revamped PATH terminal, the 190-key Four Seasons Downtown Hotel and new multifamily structures sprouting up in nearby TriBeCa and Battery Park City. "The residential growth of this location is nothing short of phenomenal," Silverstein said, describing Lower Manhattan as an emerging 24/7, live/work community, with more than 60,000 families in the area. "It is the total opposite of what everybody anticipated after 9/11. People have decided to move in, and one of the reasons it is as attractive as it is, is because you have a total coming together of 13 mass transit lines."

But Silverstein also recalled the state of the neighborhood following the 9/11 attack, which sent a shockwave throughout the city and the nation as a whole. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey first made the World Trade Center site and utilities available again in April 2002, but Silverstein explained he was anxious to start rebuilding immediately. "We needed desperately to show some activity down here," Silverstein said. The first designs were drafted in late 2001. "We had to start some kind of rebuilding process. We had to take people who were totally demoralized back into a positive state."

And though initially criticized by Mayor Michael Bloomberg for charging $50 per square foot rents at the 52-story Seven World Trade Center, Silverstein said he wouldn't have it any other way. "I said, Mr. Mayor, this is my money, not public money," he said. "I am doing what I think is right, I am doing that today, and I will believe I will produce a successful result."

Subsequently, Seven World Trade got its first anchor tenant when Moody's Corp. signed a lease for the 11th to 28th floors in the building, which opened in May 2006. As a result, other tenants followed, including Ameriprise Financial, the New York Academy of Science and Mansueto Ventures LLC. Designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, it became the first LEED certified building in New York City.

And momentum is continuing to build. GlobeSt.com asked Silverstein if the signing of Conde Nast's one-million-square-foot lease at One World Trade Center could positively affect leasing at Three World Trade and Four World Trade. He responded that he anticipates lots of interest, though he did not disclose any potential tenants for Towers 3 or 4. Though unconfirmed, UBS AG is considering a move here, sources said.

"I think a corporation of that quality taking a million square feet opened everybody's eyes and they said, ‘Oh my god, what is going on?'" he said. "That had incredible significance. In terms of leasing activity, it has been nothing short of phenomenal."
And...

Population near ground zero doubles since 2000
http://www.wtc.com/news/population-n...les-since-2000
Quote:
After the Sept. 11 attacks, there were grim questions about the future of the shaken, dust-covered neighborhoods around the World Trade Center. Would residents flee uptown or to the suburbs? Would the epic job of rebuilding lower Manhattan be too much to bear? Who would want to live so close to a place associated with such horror?

As it turns out, plenty of folks.

Census figures released last week show that the number of people living near ground zero has swelled by about 23,000 since 2000, making it one of the fastest-growing places in the city.

Virginia Lam, a publicist and former City Hall operative who moved into a newly converted residential building on Wall Street in 2006, said the site is a source of inspiration, rather than fear or gloom.

"It's pretty amazing," she said of the new towers rising from the 16-acre hole created by the attacks. "I feel like, being a New Yorker who was here on 9/11, and who has worked for the Fire Department and for the city, I think it is always in the back of my mind, but it's not something that dominates my thinking. I go about living my life."

About 45,750 people now live in the part of Manhattan south of Chambers Street, which encompasses ground zero. That is more than twice as many as there were during the last census.

There was also significant growth a little farther uptown. In all, 82,137 people were counted as living south of Canal Street, 15 blocks north of the trade center. That is an increase of 43 percent from 2000 in an area that includes the Financial District, Battery Park City, a section of tenement-packed Chinatown and the celebrity-studded streets of TriBeCa, which is short for "Triangle Below Canal."

The change around Wall Street has been especially remarkable given the area's history as a financial hub, rather than a residential district.

One by one, bank headquarters have moved elsewhere, and millions of square feet of office space have been converted to homes - a change spurred partly by government incentives intended to help revive downtown after Sept. 11.

"It's astounding," said Julie Menin, head of the local community board. "Many people thought after 9/11 that people wouldn't remain in Lower Manhattan. Not only did people stay, they came in droves."

New Yorkers have been well aware of the change. In the shell-shocked months after the attacks, the Financial District became a ghost town when workers left for the day. Now it is teeming with people around the clock. Grocery stores have opened. Three new schools have opened up in four years. Briefcase-carrying stockbrokers now share sidewalk space with kids in strollers. A string of new apartment towers has been built along West Street, a short distance from the trade center site.

The area isn't finished growing, either. Near the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, work was recently completed on the tallest apartment tower in the Western Hemisphere, a 76-story, 900-unit skyscraper designed by the architect Frank Gehry.

Growth downtown has far exceeded the rate elsewhere in the city. The 2010 census put the city's population at 8.18 million, up 2.1 percent from 2000. People have been lured to Manhattan's southern tip by a number of things. Battery Park City, the planned community created on landfill at the edge of the Hudson River in the 1980s, is cut off from the car traffic that surges through the rest of Manhattan and is ringed by playgrounds and esplanades with exhilarating views of the harbor.

Before the attacks it was a work in progress, with a large section still unbuilt. Over the past decade, though, it has matured and filled up, finally becoming the community its designers envisioned in the 1970s.

Several of the area's public schools have a solid reputation. The area still isn't on par with other parts of the city when it comes to amenities like street parking or places to buy fresh vegetables, but things have been improving. New Battery Park City resident Theresa Purcell said its isolation - it is one of the few places in the city that really feels as if it is on an island - is one of the things that attracted her. "It is like a hidden little community," she said. "You are in the big, bad city," but still a "little world away."

Across much of the area, there are few remaining signs of the damage done by the terror attacks. Even the tumult of construction at the trade center site barely interrupts the daily flow of residents, office workers and tourists through the neighborhood.

"People should be proud of the fact that we rebuilt this neighborhood," Menin said. New Yorkers could have abandoned their experiment in downtown living after 9/11, but it didn't happen. "I think just the opposite happened. It proved our resilience."
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #23339
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

wow this complex is awesome. seems like it is really going to intigrate into the city as a whole more than the previous complex. all that planned retail space seems like it is going to make this a pretty major hangout for tourists and natives in the city.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #23340
kony

Likes (Received): 1242

Oh my...
kony está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center