daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #23401
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
Hi from Spain! Iíve created a profile because I wanted to THANK YOU for your daily updates, especially to Carlos (weíre all waiting for your new birthdayís present) and Otie (I donít know where you get all those pics). Iíve been following this thread for a long time because I love skyscrapers and, of course, New York, thatís why I plan to move to this city in 2 years, nearly when itís finished.

Now some question:
-Why isnít there cladding on the base of the tower yet?
-Wonít there be a 6WTC finally?
-Any design of the 5WTC?
1. The cladding on the base was very difficult to manufacture, (meaning it broke a lot) so until they come up with a better type of glass, the base will be without cladding.

2. I believe the WTC Memorial is to be known as 6 WTC.

3. 5 WTC is currently on hold if I am not mistaken.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #23402
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimum1368 View Post
1. They aren't putting cladding on the base of WTC 1 yet because it would interfere with delivery to the upper floors, podium glass instillation will begin next year.
Does that mean just after the building tops out, or after the building tops out with all of the cladding and spire in place?
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #23403
Optimum1368

Likes (Received): 2

Probably after all the cladding and after the spire's in place. It says on WTCProgress.com that glass for the base will be installed next year though.
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #23404
Dave84

Likes (Received): 13

have they finally decided on what they doing with the base? what they using?
Dave84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #23405
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldi mausefalle View Post
1 WTC will be even worse, when it will be finished. With:

Antenna spire.......1,776 ft / 541.32 m
Roof...................1,368 ft / 417 m

Only Antenna spire height will be: 408 ft. / 124 m
I take comfort in the fact, that if memory serves, the spire is only 48 feet taller than the North Tower antenna...
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #23406
michael1984PL

Likes (Received): 0

Let's it grows and it grows, it needs high something dwontown
michael1984PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #23407
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Yes, I understand your point but please remember that part of the ESB was not built for decorative purposes - it was built for dirigibles to dock to and load and unload passengers.

Also, it is still used every day - that is an observation deck that tourists go to. If you can't count observation decks then you can't count the top of lots of buildings such as the old WTC, the Sears building, etc. I would imagine the very stop floors of the Chrysler building before the spire begins are quite small and maybe no one goes there.

So yes it is small and not true office space but I think it is fair to count it in roof height comparisons. But of course this is my subjective opinion and others may view it differently.
Nobody goes to the 102nd floor observation deck in the ESB. It's been closed since they put the antenna up. Something about radio waves and frying people's brains. It's still a real floor so it counts as an observation deck even if nobody goes there but techs. The mooring was a complete flop and I don't even think they got more than a couple of ships moored. Winds were too high and some people had issues with walking across a footbridge 1000 feet above the pavement. Go figure.

Whether or not to count the spire on a building seems to be a big point of contention among those of us who care about such things. I'm not a fan of counting the spire, especially now that there are so many buildings with them. It seems like a cheat. If you want to build the tallest building, then build the tallest building. Don't just build a tall building with the biggest flagpole. As far as I'm concerned there are only two categories:

1. Tallest building to the top of the roof. Observation decks count. Build this and you get to be tallest building.

2. Highest leased space. When you build the tallest building, part of the bonus is that you get to call your top floor "the highest office space" and charge accordingly.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #23408
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

LOL strange that you say NODOBY goes up to the 102nd allthough i almost went up there as i was at the 86th floor Ob deck and they still sell tkts for it here: https://ticketing.esbnyc.com/Webstor...nd=LandingPage . haha Stick to the facts pls.
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #23409
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
Hi from Spain! I’ve created a profile because I wanted to THANK YOU for your daily updates, especially to Carlos (we’re all waiting for your new birthday’s present).......

Thanks Javi, now i got friends in Croatia, Poland and now Spain my birthday is July 11, I still havent decided which lens to get.....all I know it has to be powerful!

I am roughly 2 miles in a straight line but 8 miles driving distance from the WTC site

below pic taken at 300mm (original photo cropped and enlarged)

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0880 by Ceva321, on Flickr

below taken at 55mm original non cropped picture

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0881 by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #23410
iamxeddiex
Wankel

Likes (Received): 307

Thanks for the consistent updates, Carlos. Keep up the great work!
iamxeddiex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #23411
michael1984PL

Likes (Received): 0

We want more steel every day!
michael1984PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #23412
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Folks, if you want to truly compare heights, go to skyscraperpage and see their diagrams. Here is a link: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=8

This also shows that the roof height of 40 Wall Street is approximately 265 meters. This means that it's roof is smaller than that of the Chrysler Building, of the City Group Center and of Beekman.

As to the debate what is the roof of the Empire State Building, it all depends on where the stories, below the 102 observation deck, are. If they are in what looks as a spire, then it really is the roof. But if they are not, if floor 101 is below what appears to be the spire, then we have here a phenomenon I call "fake roof". If this situation is the case, then 330 meters is the real roof height, 381 meters is the fake roof height and 444 is the pinnacle height.

We can see an example of a fake roof at the abomination Libeskind created. There 346 meters is the real roof, 457 meters is the fake roof and 541 meters is the pinnacle:

Please, somebody who was there tell me where floors like 100 and 101 are? Are they below the 102 observation deck or are they far below it?

And as to my opinion about height measurements. I completely ignore the official measurement of spires yes, but antennas not. It has absolutely no logic to it. I view roof height as the primary measurement and pinnacle height and top floor height as secondary measurements.

Last edited by Kanto; June 29th, 2011 at 02:46 AM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #23413
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

I was looking through all the old designs of 1 wtc while looking through the original designs i noticed that 1 wtc was going to be 610 meters tall,wondering why did they decreased the height of 1 wtc wished they kept it at 610 meters.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #23414
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Please, somebody who was there tell me where floors like 100 and 101 are? Are they below the 102 observation deck or are they far below it?...
The ESB thread at SSP has many answers for questions like that...

The elevator and flights of stairs that go from the 86th floor observation level to 102 would equal the height of 16 floors. So they called it 102, but there are no actual floors there, other than staircase landings.

(Courtesy NYGuy at SSP ESB thread found here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149360 )
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #23415
Kanto
Roof height crusader

So it's like an observation tower built on top of a skyscraper. This means that 381 meters are indeed a fake roof height. After all, an observation tower is no skyscraper. The real roof height should be 330 meters.
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #23416
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

it is a thoroughly integrated component of the building that can be internally traversed, therefore it counts in the roof height.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #23417
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
it is a thoroughly integrated component of the building that can be internally traversed, therefore it counts in the roof height.
Yeah, but where are the missing 15 stories?
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #23418
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

imagine the floors are invisible.
try not to discuss esb in this thread too much though, it is about 1wtc after all.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #23419
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post
I do realize that people go to that height. It's just the whole spire vs roof discussion has a background of differentiating towers with usable floors in their height from those, that change from regular floors to a spire made purely for height's sake. When you look at ESB it ends around 320m, and then a spire starts. Just because you can actually get into the lower part of it makes it count, while there can be no arguement that this is just a spire, with no real usable floors. It's unfair to towers like Chrysler, for example.
Unfair to the chrysler building how? Chrysler the first building to steal WTB with a spire. And ESB over 200 feet taller than it. You can't say ESB got to be WTB because of it's spire.

Don't observation tower like CN tower have floor counts. The same rule apply for ESB spire.

Speaking of spires. Does anybody know if 1WTC spire, will change colors at night like, BOA spire?

Last edited by kingsc; June 29th, 2011 at 03:58 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #23420
gerald.d

Likes (Received): 44

gerald.d no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center