daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #23681
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
One thing is for damn sure, it will be a hell of lot harder. No one will be caught sleeping this time. Just like the Holocaust hasn't happened again, nor does anybody who is somebody hopes or expects it to.
Your terminology is so true.
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #23683
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Just keeps looking better and better every day.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #23684
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont
Just keeps looking better and better every day.
You just wait. Once the glass is installed a bit higher 1wtc will look so much more sleek. IMO that is why I think that supertall in London is looking as good as it does.
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #23685
Credo
I Believe

Likes (Received): 2

I think it's already sleek.

The glass being used here looks really good at every angle. I'm excited to see what views help make the new WTC the icon of New York City.
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #23686
m0byGER

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks Otie for stopping this off-topic crap with your pics
As usual great photos of a great building!
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #23687
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

WTC: Built for the future — with steel
4:48 PM, JULY 6, 2011

By Gary Higbee

An article published as news in the June 1, 2011, issue of this paper shamelessly mislead readers about the materials used in reconstructing the World Trade Center.

Entitled “One World Trade Center rising on ‘super concrete’” and written by Herbert Margrill, communications vice president for The Concrete Alliance, the lengthy, 2,700-word piece not only lacked the concise, factual tone of a news story, it abandoned reality by extolling “One World Trade Center…as the latest proof of concrete’s superiority,” adding that concrete is the leading choice for building developers.

It is the newspaper’s duty to present accurate information to its readers. On behalf of the Steel Institute of New York, let me correct some of the article’s more blatant misrepresentations.

It must first be said that work at the WTC should be praised, not only as proof of the city’s ability to overcome the terrible events which befell the site a decade ago, but also of the contribution it will make to New York’s infrastructure needs. However, ignoring the predominant role played by structural steel in the reconstruction is not just self-serving, it is a misleading omission.

Told that “210,000 cubic yards of concrete [upwards of 300,000 tons] will be needed to cap the Center’s superstructure,” the reader of the article could hardly be blamed for assuming that concrete is the only material being used in the reconstruction. This massive quantity of material far outstrips the 50,000 tons of steel used for the tower’s beams and columns, no question. But quantity is immaterial.

Steel’s higher strength-to-weight ratio and inherently longer span capabilities always lead to less material-intensive design solutions. More importantly, these qualities will enable One World Trade Center to emerge as 2.6 million square feet of column-free, Class A office space. And they are among the reasons why Larry Silverstein chose steel for towers 2, 3, and 4, why the Durst family chose steel for Bank of America Tower, and why steel was selected by the developers of all but one of the office towers built in the city after 9/11.

Despite its many inaccuracies, the article makes one point that is irrefutable. “The looming threat of climate change … is far more dangerous than terrorism,” Margrill quotes Robert Ledwith, president of the Concrete Alliance, as saying. Adopting a mentality that office towers should be bunker-like designs with concrete stair cores and street level blast walls three feet thick would be a mistake. The city’s goal is to strike a balance between safety and the ability to build affordably during these tough economic times, all without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.

We must keep in mind the crisis our city will face if we do not keep pace with other nations in providing the finest Class A office space to attract international corporations in our globalized economy. Viewed from this perspective, it would be a mistake to assume—as Ledwith is again quoted as saying—that “concrete is the best choice for the environment.”

A growing amount of research is being published around the globe comparing the relative impacts of structural steel, concrete, and other materials with respect to embodied energy, carbon impacts, and resource depletion. At the same time, the sustainable impacts of various design choices are being compared via a new generation of life cycle analysis estimators.

This research has highlighted the favorable comparative impacts of structural steel versus concrete when viewed from a project-based perspective: More usable space is created with less environmental impact in One World Trade Center using 50,000 tons of steel than with than with 300,000 tons of concrete. This is not to say concrete has no role in the construction. Each material relies on the other in various applications. And just as all building industries are working to keep costs down, all are working to improve their carbon footprint.

The Steel Institute of New York believes strongly that our city’s future cannot be built on a foundation of misinformation. As progress at the World Trade Center site demonstrates, it is imperative that a building embody much more than function. Our city’s structures represent everything we hope for in its future: economic viability, strength, and beauty. Steel’s substantial role in that vision is irrefutable.

Gary Higbee, AIA, is director of industry development, The Steel Institute of New York.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #23688
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0byGER View Post
Thanks Otie for stopping this off-topic crap with your pics
As usual great photos of a great building!
I kinda hate when someone stops an interesting and enriching discussion by posting a bunch of pics... and I'm bored of comments like "Oh, great pics!", "Awesome, this tower is rising!" or similar comments. But yeah, since this is an off-topic and pointless discussion, I guess it was the right thing to do.

edit: View from the 55th floor:
image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center Construction by Jonathan_Hawkins, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo by The Corcoran Group, on Flickr

Last edited by Otie; July 8th, 2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Photos added.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #23689
Pablito28
La celeste del alma

Wow, what`a great pics of NY. Great job all`s.

Congrats.

Yabba dabba doo...
Pablito28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #23690
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

With the last space shuttle launch today (if its not delayed) it could be interesting to note that $1 billion, the approx. cost of 1 shuttle launch, would almost pay for 1WTC.

Don't get me wrong...the shuttle program was worth it...but we are getting much more value for the dollar with the building!
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #23691
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
With the last space shuttle launch today (if its not delayed) it could be interesting to note that $1 billion, the approx. cost of 1 shuttle launch, would almost pay for 1WTC.

Don't get me wrong...the shuttle program was worth it...but we are getting much more value for the dollar with the building!
not necessarily. it all depends on a person's point of view.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #23692
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

I can't wait to see you, you beautiful building.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #23693
Jonipoon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

I think this tower would look ALOOOOT better if the upper spike was connected to 9 diagonally slanted spikes forming the shape of a pyramid. Just saying.
Jonipoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #23694
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonipoon View Post
I think this tower would look ALOOOOT better if the upper spike was connected to 9 diagonally slanted spikes forming the shape of a pyramid. Just saying.
Me no likie pyramids.

That being said, I think it is fine the way it is. I think it will be cool to see photos of it without the spire (e.g., before the spire is constructed).
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #23695
Dave84

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I can't wait to see you, you beautiful building.
Is the cladding going to be like this towards the upper floors? Are they vents foor the mechanical floors? They look very noticeable in this pic . .
Dave84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #23696
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Idiots..

July 6th, Derek2k3, WNY..

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #23697
DinoVabec
Worldwide

July 7th..

image hosted on flickr

Downtown, Manhattan by Tony Of New York on Flickr
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #23698
DinoVabec
Worldwide

nyc_alex, Skyscraperpage..

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #23699
Jonipoon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I think it will be cool to see photos of it without the spire (e.g., before the spire is constructed).
That's what I'm talking about. I dont like the way it is now. Without spire would be awesome, pyramid of spires would be awesome. Just my 2 cents.
Jonipoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #23700
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonipoon View Post
There already is a pyramid building next to it. I'm talking about 3WFC As to spires, I never really liked them. I always liked roof height being the pinnacle height as well

Oh, and to the conspiracy freaks, I know what happened to 7WTC. Chuck Norris was inside and he farted
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center