daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #23761
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

What IS up with that scaffolding on the base? Is it the beginning of cladding operations on the base?
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #23762
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Great jersey city pics in my opinion the best place to take pics in that area.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #23763
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenfromJersey View Post
Will photos from my apartment do?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Yup, they're awesome. NY is an awesome city. While it doesn't have that many supertalls, it has so many highrises that I doubt any city in the world has more of 'em.
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #23764
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

HongKong got more highrises
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #23765
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
- the CTBUH.

They compare and organize all tall structures on the height to arch. top. That way if a taller antenna or whatever is put up it doesn't change the ranking of the structure. Makes sense...
However...

If you go strictly by CTBUH guidelines then the tallest building in North America right now is the 2 floor entrance lobby of the CN Tower in Toronto. That's right... it's only 2 floors high....

It just happens to have an 1800 foot spire on top. The antenna is enclosed permanently and is just like the future 1WTC antenna and can not be added to or changed. It is part of the architectural feature of the spire... All 1800 feet of it.

When you take the CTBUH guidelines to the letter of their law and to their obvious conclusion... you see how arbitrary and ridiculous they are.

(Diagram from Tony's Civil Engineering found here: http://stylianidescivil.blogspot.com.../cn-tower.html )
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #23766
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Ken, Awesome pictures. You should keep posting even when Carlos is back because you have a different view. In fact you have a great one of WTC4 that Carlos doesn't have at all. Can you post zoom ins of that one so we see when steel and cladding is going up?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #23767
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

"South to the Niagara Falls in the area of Rochester and New York (USA)"

OMG and I thought it was only Americans that didn't know geography :-)
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #23768
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeuffer View Post
HongKong got more highrises
Wow, that city must be a true highrise hive.
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #23769
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 426

Is the freedom tower going to be taller than the CN tower: O

Anyone body got diagrams comparing them?

Also to the guy who thinks the freedom tower looks small to supertalls now.... No chance maybe the BK but not anything else.. Isn't it going to be 2nd or 3rd tallest in the world after it is built?
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #23770
Traynor
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
"South to the Niagara Falls in the area of Rochester and New York (USA)"

OMG and I thought it was only Americans that didn't know geography :-)
They meant:

South to Niagara falls AND the area of Rochester NY USA and all the way North to lake Simcoe.

(Map courtesy Google Maps here: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...6,2.705383&z=9 )
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #23771
yankee fan for life

no 1 wtc will be 39 feet shorter, then the cn tower.
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #23772
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
However...

If you go strictly by CTBUH guidelines then the tallest building in North America right now is the 2 floor entrance lobby of the CN Tower in Toronto. That's right... it's only 2 floors high....

It just happens to have an 1800 foot spire on top. The antenna is enclosed permanently and is just like the future 1WTC antenna and can not be added to or changed. It is part of the architectural feature of the spire... All 1800 feet of it.

When you take the CTBUH guidelines to the letter of their law and to their obvious conclusion... you see how arbitrary and ridiculous they are.
Hi Traynor.

Your post is completely incorrect ...

The council does not consider the CN tower a building ...
It is classified as a telecommunications / Observation tower.
Their guideline for a structure to be called a building is "at least 50% of its height is occupied by usable floor area".

You may want to read the 'Tall Building Height Critetia' area on the home page before you arbitrarily and ridiculously decide what their 'letter of the law' is ...

I really enjoy your posts Traynor, usually well worded with good points but I couldn't let that one go.

Ray.
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #23773
Traynor
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
Is the freedom tower going to be taller than the CN tower: O

Anyone body got diagrams comparing them?

Also to the guy who thinks the freedom tower looks small to supertalls now.... No chance maybe the BK but not anything else.. Isn't it going to be 2nd or 3rd tallest in the world after it is built?
Here's just the list of under construction towers in 2011. You be the judge how tall 1WTC looks compares to the others.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=202
(Link to under construction Diagrams Page from SkyscraperPage)

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=201
(Link to Tallest Towers in 2015 Diagrams Page from SkyscraperPage)
Old July 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #23774
Traynor
Back to Basics

Quote:
Hi all.

Hi Traynor.

Their guideline for a structure to be called a building is "at least 50% of its height is occupied by usable floor area".

You may want to read the 'Tall Building Height Critetia' area on the home page before you arbitrarily and ridiculously decide what their 'letter of the law' is ...

I really enjoy your posts Traynor, usually well worded with good points but I couldn't let that one go.

Ray.
Yes but 100 percent of the lobby entrance IS occupiable and that is the part that is the "Building". The Spire is the 1800 foot part on top.

That is the letter of the law on their page exactly. I have gone over it a thousand times.

It is just obviously so ridiculous that it shows the arbitrary nature of the lines that they draw. That is the only point I am trying to make.

It all boils down to a small group of people in an office somewhere making an opinion. Therefore... All of our own opinions are just as valid.

OK granted it is all just a silly interpretation of the rules, but almost all of the guidlines can be interpreted to bend to a developer's wishes to exagerate his building.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #23775
yankee fan for life

Sorry for the change of subject but it stuck me that the cn tower never achieved the iconic status that the settle space needle has considering that the Seattle space is three times shorter then the cn tower which proves that size it not everything,and i bet that the freedom tower will be more iconic then the burj khalifa will be.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #23776
Traynor
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Sorry for the change of subject but it stuck me that the cn tower never achieved the iconic status that the settle space needle has considering that the Seattle space is three times shorter then the cn tower which proves that size it not everything,and i bet that the freedom tower will be more iconic then the burj khalifa will be.
Well perhaps to Americans... But the rest of the World always knew what they were seeing when a picture of the CN Tower flashed on their TV screen. And that is the very definition of "Iconic".
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #23777
yankee fan for life

No disrespect to you Traynor but i have to disagree with you in movies and the media you see more of the settle space needle then you do with the cn tower.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #23778
Traynor
Back to Basics

Quote:
no disrespect to you Traynor but i have to disagree with you in movies and the media you see more of the settle space needle then the cn tower.
Ahhh that's a different matter. That's exposure due to Hollywood (also American) and not a true Global perspective.

I thought you meant, if you showed two pictures to someone somewhere around the world, one of the Space Needle and one of the CN Tower in Toronto, would they know what they were looking at.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #23779
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Hi all.

Hi Traynor.

Ray.
The official height measurement, of spires yes but antennas not, is the only ridiculous thing here. Take for example the spires of the Petronas Towers and the antennas of the Willis Tower. They look in fact identical. And therefore there is no difference between them. Accepting spires but not antennas is one of the silliest things I have ever heared.

Btw, I know about the CN Tower, but I haven't got a clue about that Seattle space needle.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #23780
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Yes but 100 percent of the lobby entrance IS occupiable and that is the part that is the "Building". The Spire is the 1800 foot part on top.

That is the letter of the law on their page exactly. I have gone over it a thousand times.

It is just obviously so ridiculous that it shows the arbitrary nature of the lines that they draw. That is the only point I am trying to make.

It all boils down to a small group of people in an office somewhere making an opinion. Therefore... All of our own opinions are just as valid.

OK granted it is all just a silly interpretation of the rules, but almost all of the guidlines can be interpreted to bend to a developer's wishes to exagerate his building.
Hi Traynor.
True - opinions are like *******s - everybody got one ...

I don't see your interpretation at all. The rule is "at least 50% of its height is occupied by usable floor area", not whatever one wants to call 'the building portion' of an obvious tower.

I guess, as you say, anything can be read between the lines of any guidelines if one closes one eye and crosses the other ...

Quote:
Hi Yankee.

IMO the CN tower is an a great structure. The Space needle is as well. Maybe it's a Country thing ?

I agree 1WTC is a fantastic project.

Ray.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center