daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #23781
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
The official height measurement, of spires yes but antennas not, is the only ridiculous thing here. Take for example the spires of the Petronas Towers and the antennas of the Willis Tower. They look in fact identical. And therefore there is no difference between them. Accepting spires but not antennas is one of the silliest things I have ever heared.
Well I'm not sure they look EXACTLY the same, but they are certainly similar. What kinda holds up the point that antennas shouldn't be counted is that Sears kept adding new antennas on to increase height, which is kinda unfair. Maybe they should include all original elements, spires or antennas. Any later additions should not be counted. Sears would still be counted as shorter in this case.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #23782
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

I am sorry maybe their is some truth that some Americans are enclosed to the rest of the worlds perspective on things if i offended anybody my apologies .
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #23783
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Well I'm not sure they look EXACTLY the same, but they are certainly similar. What kinda holds up the point that antennas shouldn't be counted is that Sears kept adding new antennas on to increase height, which is kinda unfair. Maybe they should include all original elements, spires or antennas. Any later additions should not be counted. Sears would still be counted as shorter in this case.
I accept pinnacle height as a secondary measurement, but I don't see the fact when, the antenna or spire, was added mean anything.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #23784
Bruce.Tenmile

Well if a antenna is added merely to one-up a tower which has come along and usurped it, then it shouldn't be counted. I believe there was a bit of that between the WTC and Sears. Both should be counted by their heights when built. If a spire was added in this way, I don't think that should be counted either.
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #23785
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

from a eurpoean perspective I have to say that the Toronto tower is more famous and iconic
than the Seattle tower.
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #23786
Bruce.Tenmile

From my 'European'/British perspective, I would think I've known of them for a roughly equal amount of time. I couldn't pick a better one, they are both great.
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #23787
FCU

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
Is the freedom tower going to be taller than the CN tower: O

Anyone body got diagrams comparing them?

Also to the guy who thinks the freedom tower looks small to supertalls now.... No chance maybe the BK but not anything else.. Isn't it going to be 2nd or 3rd tallest in the world after it is built?
Here is one, just go to skyscraperpage.com, click on the 'diagrams' tab, scroll down and type in any building you want to compare, seperated by a comma.

[IMG]http://i52.************/14mb2a0.png[/IMG]
FCU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #23788
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

Anyways... Who gives a sheet about CN Tower guys?

And Freedom Tower is not going to be more iconic than Burj Khalifa IMO. If you build a prefabricated house in the Ground Zero, would it be as iconic as Burj? NO! Architecture really matters and the Burj is superior to the WTC and even twins.

Anyways, did you like the design of the former twins? Personally, I donīt.
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #23789
Dave84

Likes (Received): 13

Here in rainy England, i'd say the seattle space needle, is more iconic than the cn tower, What can i say i'm a big Dr crane fan lol !
Dave84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #23790
Bruce.Tenmile

Just to off set I'll say that the CN is more iconic. What can I say? I love Due South. Set in Chicago. Filmed in Toronto.
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #23791
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

"Instantly recognizable" and "Shown most in media" are two very different concepts and I feel some people are confusing the two as both synonymous definitions of "iconic". Which they are not.

In the future, a picture of Burj Khalifa and 1WTC will both be instantly recognizable for what they are and where they are and therefore both will be icons. However, 1WTC will show up in movies, TV, News, Internet and Tourist photos way more often.
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #23792
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanChancellor View Post

And Freedom Tower is not going to be more iconic than Burj Khalifa IMO. If you build a prefabricated house in the Ground Zero, would it be as iconic as Burj? NO! Architecture really matters and the Burj is superior to the WTC and even twins.

I think the Willis Tower and the destroyed WTC Twins were the most beautiful buildings ever built.
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #23793
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:

not necessarily true. im sure 1 wtc will get more media coverage than burj, and how well a building is known is a key component to how iconic it is.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #23794
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Also, thanks to new Canadian Shows like Rookie Blue and Flashpoint (Both filmed AND set in Toronto) being shown in American markets, The CN Tower will gain ground on Seattle's Space Needle!

That is until all those American Cop Dramas filmed in New York start showing 1WTC... Then all bets are off!

Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #23795
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

As an extremely biased perspective id say space needle is miles ahead of cn tower for a title of being an icon :]
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #23796
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

I'd say the CN Tower is more iconic than the space needle and I'm American.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #23797
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

When Taipei 101 was the worlds tallest building how much media coverage and world recognition did that building received one of the key elements to reach iconic status is location and i don't want to throw more fuel to the fire but my opinion is that Dubai is just some city in the middle of no where and that's why 1 wtc will receive more recognition then the Burj Khalifa.

Last edited by yankee fan for life; July 10th, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #23798
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:

The Burj Khalifa is a huge ugly turd. In fact, most actual turds look better than the Burj Khalifa.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #23799
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Well perhaps to Americans... But the rest of the World always knew what they were seeing when a picture of the CN Tower flashed on their TV screen. And that is the very definition of "Iconic".
I'm from Italy (so part of your definition of "rest of the world") and have to agree with him. So please don't talk for everybody when you clearly don't represent us.

Quote:

I would agree with "architecture matters" statement if it wasn't for how you use it: both the Burj Khalifa and 1WTC were designed by SOM, an american architecture firm. Hahaha but generally yes, architecture does matter.

Last edited by romanamerican; July 10th, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #23800
Dave84

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
The Burj Khalifa is a huge ugly turd. In fact, most actual turds look better than the Burj Khalifa.
Couldn't agree more! it's one hell of a turd lol! all they had in mind was sheer height, it's just like one massive spire with no building to it.
Dave84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center