daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #23801
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
I'm from Italy (so part of your definition of "rest of the world") and have to agree with him. So please don't talk for everybody when you clearly don't represent us...
I wasn't speaking for the world, just offering an alternative to the American-centric view that one forumer may have had, but so far the world has spoken for itself.

Neither do you represent the rest of the World. Only one opinion, keep that in mind as well. Furthermore, your nickname also implies you are biased towards an American perspective, so I will take your opinion with a grain of salt.
Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #23802
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I wasn't speaking for the world, just offering an alternative to the American-centric view that one forumer may have had, but so far the world has spoken for itself
Your alternative. And that is what I was correcting. Not "the rest of the world".

Quote:
Neither do you represent the rest of the World. Only one opinion, keep that in mind as well.
Never forgot about it. But unlike you, I never said " But the rest of the World always knew..." which literally means exactly what I was complaining. That is grammar, a fact. Not an opinion.

Quote:
Furthermore, your nickname also implies you are biased towards an American perspective, so I will take your opinion with a grain of salt.
implies I'm biased only to the people that give meanings to things (like a nickname) they have no idea the reason behind it. Other thing: "American perspective" means "from the Americas", North America AND South America.
Another logical fallacy.

As for this conversation, it is completely off-topic, so if you answer, I will answer again via private message. No need to make this thread even more OT than it already is.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #23803
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

There are lots of hearsay! We should wait for this building to be completed before procrastinating about terrorist attacks. Homeland security is very important than just having a bunker plan for this building alone. I think tight and effective security system is what is most important at the moment.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #23804
Leopoldo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1402

I am Brazilian and I live in Săo Paulo.

Any Brazilian child 10 years old, knows where
the One World Trade Center.

CN Tower? I do not know.

We Brazilians love New York.
Leopoldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #23805
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

I'm from America. New Yorker myself. I think the CN tower is more iconic then the space needle. When you think about obversation tower you'll think CN tower. NOT space needle and/or possibly the guangzhou one.

And, the world trade center is gonna be iconic. I think it'll be even more iconic then the Burj Khalifia.

Now, back on topic:

You can start seeing it from random streets in lower manhattan now. It's pretty nice when you walk around, look up and you randomly see the cranes poking above the buildings.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #23806
Sebosim

Likes (Received): 0

I'f from Germany and I think too that the CN tower is more iconic and that 1wtc 'll be more iconic than BK is. Probably BK is uglier by far

BTT : Can't wait to see this tower with my own eyes
Sebosim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #23807
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

the diagram that was posted with the cn tower and 1 wtc looks to me a little bit over remember 1 wtc and the cn tower are only 39 feet apart with such a Little height difference i think the height difference would be i little less distinguishable then what that diagram shows.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #23808
Traynor
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
the diagram that was posted with the cn tower and 1 wtc looks to me a little bit over remember 1 wtc and the cn tower are only 39 feet apart with such a Little height difference i think the height difference would be i little less distinguishable then what that diagram shows.
No, it's spot on. I think it's an optical illusion because 1WTC's antenna gets really small and the CN Tower's is red at the tip which gives it more prominence. There's just under 12 meters difference between the two and those diagrams reflect that.
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #23809
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Well I come from Scotland and I think we should just end this now... Obvo the CN tower will be more recognisable around the world than the space needle. I mean Toronto is more famous than seattle. I have personally been to the CN and it was brilliant. I only just found out what the Seattle tower was called and I have good knowledge of buildings.

Take a look at this for a comparison.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=980&bih=1208
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #23810
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

enough with this space needle vs. cn tower crap. this thread is about 1 wtc. if you wanna keep talking about whether the space needle or cn tower is more iconic, then make a separate thread.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #23811
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Nobody cares. Why are you guys talking about CN tower and the space needle, in a 1WTC thread
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #23812
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Does anybody have information on where i can find on the construction rate between the freedom tower and the old twins for comparison between the two

Last edited by yankee fan for life; July 10th, 2011 at 03:38 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #23813
Traynor
Back to Basics

Alright, back to 1WTC

So according to CTBUH strict guidelines... 1WTC could have technically had a roof height exactly as it will be at 417 meters (1368 feet), with a spire that reached to 833m or 2733 feet and still be over the minimum 50 percent occupiable-space-to-total height rule.

Then it could have taken the World's Tallest away from the Burj Khalifa. Technically, 1WTC wouldn't be breaking their rules.

OK Fury... dispute that fact.

(Diagrams courtesy SSP Diagrams section here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/ )

Last edited by Traynor; July 10th, 2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #23814
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi Traynor.

I would be nothing but happy to see the next WTS built in North America. The update coverage is second to none and the veil of secrecy would be much thinner.

Also it wouldn't matter to me if the next WTS is a building or a tower, both are freestanding.

Hell I would even be interested in a guyed mast if it was our next WTS.

Ray.
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #23815
Sramaya

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Alright, back to 1WTC

(Diagrams courtesy SSP Diagrams section here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/ )
Sramaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #23816
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6890

Some pics I took today. Great weather.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #23817
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Thanks

Quote:
They meant:

South to Niagara falls AND the area of Rochester NY USA and all the way North to lake Simcoe.

(Map courtesy Google Maps here: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...6,2.705383&z=9 )
Thanks for the clarification. Being from Rochester originally I got pretty nervous at the thought that Canadians didn't realize Rochester isn't near Niagara Falls. Good to see that is not the problem, rather they simply don't speak english very well
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #23818
Credo
I Believe

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5916338818/
image hosted on flickr
[/url]
Tower 1 by hoveringcheesecake, on Flickr
Is that concrete going up above the lobby entrance? It looks like concrete with rebar sticking out.
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #23819
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Excellent shots by a new forumer at WiredNewYork, eXodius. He got lucky to catch the first window washing on action!

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #23820
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

This tower is really starting to look spectacular! Otie, I especially like your second pic where you wouldn't even be able to tell that the tower isn't finished.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center