daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #23881
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

72 floors done..One steel beam is up to 74th..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #23882
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Lunes Julio 11, 2011 "Mi Cumplean~os"

Thanks everyone for the happy wishes!!! Today is my birthday 7-11 !!!!!!!! best day of the year!!!

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1105 by Ceva321, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1111 by Ceva321, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1108 by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; July 11th, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #23883
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
Nobody replied to my previous post , whatever...I don't know you Carlos but I'm gonna try to be original ----> Joyeux anniversaire à toi .
ha ha dont cry...thanks!!! i went to see "Midnight in Paris"....funny movie!!

I Love NY
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #23885
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon111 View Post
WAIT! How about THREE antenna's!!!!
I raise you four!! It's like razor manufacturers constantly adding one more blade...
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #23886
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Thank you. Your reservation is confirmed.

got my tix for the Sept 11 Memorial!!!!!!!!

by the way ......the two white arrows show 4WTC !!!!!!

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1111 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; July 11th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #23887
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto
If this article was posted before, I appologize. I wonder, will there be demand for so much class A office space? Wouldn't it be better to make some class B space too? The Twin Towers were clas B iirc, right?

Source: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/306129985
I guess this has been discussed to death before but since this is a topic of academic interest to me at MIT, I hope I can take the liberty of putting in $ 0.02. The popular consensus is that the Downtown market has suffered from three key drawbacks in recent years - relative lack of transit access, less-than-ideal work+live mix and an older stock of buildings. It is expected that the introduction of new Class A space, over 15 million SF of residential space and major transit improvements will attract firms back.

The Manhattan market is driven by a large number of big, high-end tenants who prefer Class A space. What may happen is that a lot of tenants may move from older buildings to newer ones with better designs and efficiencies. Research at MIT's Center for Real Estate, where I currently am, shows that there is already a clear a differentiation in valuation between the best buildings and all the rest within the same market.

All of this depends on the broader macro- economy, but it seems even with a sluggish recovery, NYC will rebound the fastest. The key occupancy trend is that tenants are looking to return to newer, better designed spaces. In this way, the main competition for the WTC office complex would be projects like the Hudson Yards and Brookfield's Ninth Avenue. I would loved to see the WTC complex to have been developed as a mixed-use complex rather than as pure office space.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #23888
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaypp View Post
I guess this has been discussed to death before but since this is a topic of academic interest to me at MIT, I hope I can take the liberty of putting in $ 0.02. The popular consensus is that the Downtown market has suffered from three key drawbacks in recent years - relative lack of transit access, less-than-ideal work+live mix and an older stock of buildings. It is expected that the introduction of new Class A space, over 15 million SF of residential space and major transit improvements will attract firms back.

The Manhattan market is driven by a large number of big, high-end tenants who prefer Class A space. What may happen is that a lot of tenants may move from older buildings to newer ones with better designs and efficiencies. Research at MIT's Center for Real Estate, where I currently am, shows that there is already a clear a differentiation in valuation between the best buildings and all the rest within the same market.

All of this depends on the broader macro- economy, but it seems even with a sluggish recovery, NYC will rebound the fastest. The key occupancy trend is that tenants are looking to return to newer, better designed spaces. In this way, the main competition for the WTC office complex would be projects like the Hudson Yards and Brookfield's Ninth Avenue. I would loved to see the WTC complex to have been developed as a mixed-use complex rather than as pure office space.
Very interesting, but a lack of transit downtown? There are subway stops everywhere! Or were you guys looking at the temporary changes post-9/11?

Hopefully once the newer buildings are constructed, companies will begin to convert the older 60s/70s boxes into residential space. And you may get your mixed-use wish with 5 WTC, at least. I hope they go the hotel/residential route with that one in a few years.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #23889
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaypp View Post
The popular consensus is that the Downtown market has suffered from three key drawbacks in recent years - relative lack of transit access, less-than-ideal work+live mix and an older stock of buildings.
Lower Manhattan has a lack of transit only compared to the areas directly around Grand Central and Penn Station. And then only for those who live in Westchester/Conn. and NJ/Long Island, respectively. Even without the 1/9 station the area has the A/C/E, 4/5/6, J/M, 1/2/3/9, and N/R lines. Plus, the PATH connects it to NJ Transit, and you also have the Staten Island and NY Waterway Ferries.

The roads are pretty awful, most of the buildings are pretty old, and it's not a great place to live as far as Manhattan goes. But, the transit situation is fine.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #23890
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenfromJersey View Post
Lower Manhattan has a lack of transit only compared to the areas directly around Grand Central and Penn Station. And then only for those who live in Westchester/Conn. and NJ/Long Island, respectively. Even without the 1/9 station the area has the A/C/E, 4/5/6, J/M, 1/2/3/9, and N/R lines. Plus, the PATH connects it to NJ Transit, and you also have the Staten Island and NY Waterway Ferries.

The roads are pretty awful, most of the buildings are pretty old, and it's not a great place to live as far as Manhattan goes. But, the transit situation is fine.
I hope people keep thinking like this, because maybe I can get a place on the relative cheap there before prices go up in the coming years. I love it down there.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #23891
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Thanks for the comments guys, I am no expert on the transit situation. I think a lot of folks do think of Grand Central and Penn stations when they make the argument for Mid-town having better transit access. I was talking to a couple of senior folks at a major developer with a presence in both markets and they had the same comment. One way to settle that is to do a catchment mix - transit time study for each market, dunno if anyone has done it recently.

I think that the trend of conversion of older office buildings into residential will continue. Hopefully, there is still time to introduce some mixed-use into the WTC complex. An interesting trend with supertalls is vertical mixed use, as is the case with the Shanghai Tower and the Time Warner Center. I wonder whether it was considered for 1 WTC?
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #23892
JUSTMEHERE

Likes (Received): 0

you are right they are now erecting 73rd & 74th floors

welcome back carlos and happy birthday1
JUSTMEHERE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #23893
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

I was checking on Wikipedia on 1 wtc and wiki is saying that estimated completion will be on march 12 2012 can that happen or it is just one of Wikipedia errors, by the way happy birthday carols kept up the good work.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #23894
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

I can not believe how the construction progress goes on so fast...just amazing
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #23895
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

carlos you are truly the king.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #23896
HardBall

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenfromJersey View Post

Can't forget the effect of PA bus terminal either.

Overall, the connection from Manhattan island to the west is a bit sketchy, or at least not enough to accomodate future growth. For vehicles the situation is pretty dismal, both of the tunnels have significant backups on regular basis; other feasible ways are pretty far from the center of gravity at the Narrows and George Washington. There really needs to be better options for LM eventually, or perhaps a better connected regional railway system that branch out from GCT, trade center, and Jamaica, to NJ, Long Island, and the north. I hope the politicians have a bit more foresight in the coming decade.
HardBall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #23897
Leopoldo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1402

Carlos, feliz aniversário.
Leopoldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #23898
Leopoldo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC View Post
Thanks everyone for the happy wishes!!! Today is my birthday 7-11 !!!!!!!! best day of the year!!!

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1105 by Ceva321, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1111 by Ceva321, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1108 by Ceva321, on Flickr

Happy Birthday Carlos, thank you for your beautiful photos.

For your next vacation, come to Rio.
Leopoldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #23899
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
I was checking on Wikipedia on 1 wtc and wiki is saying that estimated completion will be on march 12 2012 can that happen or it is just one of Wikipedia errors, by the way happy birthday carols kept up the good work.
Never trust Wikipedia, the structure topping out should occur late December-First Quarter of 2012. The building won't be open until 2013, once the curtain wall is completed, podium glass installed, the spire built and interior work done.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #23900
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I thank you folks very much for answering my questions

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center