daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #23901
600West218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,734
Likes (Received): 1574

I hope they open the observation deck in time for people to be able to see the steel of WTC 2 and WTC 3 going up. Can you imagine all the great pictures we'll get?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #23902
Credo
I Believe
 
Credo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 52
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I hope they open the observation deck in time for people to be able to see the steel of WTC 2 and WTC 3 going up. Can you imagine all the great pictures we'll get?
Ooh. I hope so.

I wouldn't mind them putting a webcam from the top of the building. That'd be even cooler...
__________________
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.
Credo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #23903
michael1984PL
Registered User
 
michael1984PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bydgoszcz, POLAND
Posts: 26
Likes (Received): 0

Carlos happy birthday from Poland;]
michael1984PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #23904
IngMarco
Registered User
 
IngMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Culiacán
Posts: 4,161
Likes (Received): 2630

Feliz cumpleaños Carlos, ese lente hace que tus fotografías luzcan muy bien!!

Can't wait to see 4wtc's appaerance at that picture.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #23905
yankee fan for life
Registered User
 
yankee fan for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn new york
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 195

This building going up fast great to see such progress.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #23906
Luka Skrbic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pancevo
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

Srećan rođendan Karlose!

Happy birthday Carlos from Serbia! XD Keep posting those great shots.
Luka Skrbic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #23907
FCU
Registered User
 
FCU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 19

Gefeliciteerd, Mr. Carlos, hope you'll post many pictures in the future!

Does anyone know if the spire will be constructed before the estimated completion date, or will it also be constructed afterwards? The original North Tower didn't have an antenna in its first years.
FCU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #23908
yankee fan for life
Registered User
 
yankee fan for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn new york
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 195

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/...c40a283b13.jpg from the anime Eden of the East

Last edited by yankee fan for life; July 12th, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #23909
bennyboo
Registered User
 
bennyboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: seattle
Posts: 503
Likes (Received): 71

think that vid was shown like forever ago. still kewl though :]
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #23910
yankee fan for life
Registered User
 
yankee fan for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn new york
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 195

(Reuters) - The online reservation system for the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York went live on Monday, allowing visitors to book their free pass to the site which opens on the tenth anniversary of the attacks.

The reservation system at www.911memorial.org has been designed to help avoid crowding at the site, where the number of visitors will initially be limited to 1,300 to 1,500 at any one time as construction work on the new World Trade Center skyscrapers continues.

"Within the first hour there were 5,000 reservations made," said Michael Frazier, a memorial spokesman.

The memorial's focal point is two large reflecting pools fed by cascading waterfalls in the footprints of the fallen twin towers.

Bronze panels will list the names of the 2,982 killed at the Pentagon and the World Trade Center in 2001, including first responders, the passengers and crew of the four hijacked planes, and the victims of the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center.

The memorial will be formally opened to victims' families on September 11 this year, and will then welcome the general public the following day.

Although organizers say the memorial will always be free of charge to visit, they are considering either charging admission or asking visitors to make a suggested donation to the accompanying museum when it opens in 2012.

Joe Daniels, the president and CEO of the memorial and museum, told members of New York's City Council last month that museum admission could be around $20 unless he is able to secure sufficient funding from other sources, including federal funding.

Some council members said they feared an admission charge could be prohibitively expensive for some New Yorkers and other visitors.

The annual cost of the memorial and museum was expected to be between $50 million and $60 million.

(Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Jerry Norton)
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #23911
Davidsam52
Registered User
 
Davidsam52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Posts: 526
Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
(Reuters) - The online reservation system for the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York went live on Monday, allowing visitors to book their free pass to the site which opens on the tenth anniversary of the attacks.

The reservation system at www.911memorial.org has been designed to help avoid crowding at the site, where the number of visitors will initially be limited to 1,300 to 1,500 at any one time as construction work on the new World Trade Center skyscrapers continues.

"Within the first hour there were 5,000 reservations made," said Michael Frazier, a memorial spokesman.

The memorial's focal point is two large reflecting pools fed by cascading waterfalls in the footprints of the fallen twin towers.

Bronze panels will list the names of the 2,982 killed at the Pentagon and the World Trade Center in 2001, including first responders, the passengers and crew of the four hijacked planes, and the victims of the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center.

The memorial will be formally opened to victims' families on September 11 this year, and will then welcome the general public the following day.

Although organizers say the memorial will always be free of charge to visit, they are considering either charging admission or asking visitors to make a suggested donation to the accompanying museum when it opens in 2012.

Joe Daniels, the president and CEO of the memorial and museum, told members of New York's City Council last month that museum admission could be around $20 unless he is able to secure sufficient funding from other sources, including federal funding.

Some council members said they feared an admission charge could be prohibitively expensive for some New Yorkers and other visitors.

The annual cost of the memorial and museum was expected to be between $50 million and $60 million.

(Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Jerry Norton)
Personally I have no problem with there being an admission charge to the museum. After all to maintain & operate the memorial and museum properly is not going to be cheap.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #23912
Pablobegood
Registered User
 
Pablobegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paraná, Argentina
Posts: 378
Likes (Received): 46

Grande Carlos, excelentes fotos, feliz cumple!...y como decimos en mi pais: sos un groso, sabelo!
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #23913
kingsc
Registered User
 
kingsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,761
Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Personally I have no problem with there being an admission charge to the museum. After all to maintain & operate the memorial and museum properly is not going to be cheap.
I have a problem with it.
__________________
My site
Entertainmentcove.weebly.com
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #23914
patrick989
Registered User
 
patrick989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 301
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I have a problem with it.
So do I. A suggested donation is one thing, but to require that much money for admission would be outrageous. Real museums in the city don't force you to pay anything more than a penny if you don't want to, yet they continue to run and operate somehow, even though they're much larger and more complex than this museum will be.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #23915
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
So do I. A suggested donation is one thing, but to require that much money for admission would be outrageous. Real museums in the city don't force you to pay anything more than a penny if you don't want to, yet they continue to run and operate somehow, even though they're much larger and more complex than this museum will be.
"more complex" : that is where you are wrong. As far as maintenance costs go, this memorial + museum will be extremely expensive due to the water system for the waterfalls. Plus the underground ventilating system that doesn't age nearly as well as a normal one (as in a structure over ground).

What they have to balance the budget is donations (like every other museum that does not get state money or has an entrance fee). I trust the team of accountants and business personnel has done their homework to come up with the most sensible economic solution.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #23916
azn_man12345
Registered User
 
azn_man12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wichita
Posts: 1,197
Likes (Received): 114

As long as the memorials free right?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly would the museum hold? Pieces of the old towers? Sentimental objects that managed to survive the crash/fall? The survivor stairwell?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #23917
emmgtv989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 18
Likes (Received): 0

Welcome back and to continue this foreign language trend:

Frohe Geburtstag Carlos! Danke fuer den Photos!
emmgtv989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #23918
m0byGER
Registered User
 
m0byGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gelsenkirchen
Posts: 13
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmgtv989 View Post
Welcome back and to continue this foreign language trend:

Frohe Geburtstag Carlos! Danke fuer den Photos!
Correct: Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! Danke für die Fotos! But nice try!
__________________
I <3 NYC
m0byGER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #23919
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Using a memorial for commercial purpose is fine by me, after all, it happens all around the world, but 20$ is insanely much
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #23920
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing
 
westmc9th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 254
Likes (Received): 6

I do not think that they are making the outside of the Base Just something on the inside but it is news either way. At least it is American made

NAS

NAS stainless steel to be used in New York Freedom Tower Base
Tuesday, 12 Jul 2011

North American Stainless Steel will be used in the cable wall located in the Lobby of One World Trade Center also known as the Freedom Tower in New York.

The signature building currently being constructed will become the center piece of the World Trade Center construction project when it opens to the public in 2013. With a total height of 1776 feet, the Freedom Tower will rise from a square base and taper into eight tall isosceles triangles forming a perfect octagon at its center which will be topped by an observation deck and a square glass parapet rotated 45 degrees from the base.

Freedom Tower will feature 60 foot high entrances on all four sides making it open and accessible to the community and street life that will surround it. Upon entering the building’s lobby, visitors will be able to appreciate the modern design with extensive use of glass in order to enhance the natural light as well as stainless steel for a clean and modern look.

The architectural plans for the lobby, drawn by renowned architects Skidemore, Owings & Merrils call for the use of T316L premium grade stainless steel for the plates that will make up the cable wall. The construction of this critical area of the lobby has been awarded to American Architectural Inc, experts in ornamental metal and glass design and construction.

The stainless steel plates required had to be of a uniformed perfect quality with a polished finish. As a result, American Architectural Inc turned to TAD Metals, Division of O’Neal Steel Industrial Metals Group and North American Stainless to supply the plates. Two hundred and thirty tones of 2 inches plates were produced at the Ghent, Kentucky NAS plant.

The stainless steel type T316 supplied by NAS has a high corrosion resistance resulting from its content of Chrome, Nickel and Molybdenum and it is used in a number of architectural and engineering applications.

Workers at NAS were overjoyed when they found out about the project, with comments such as it’s great that a project with such National significance should use American made stainless steel.
__________________
New York City = My Heart
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu