daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #24221
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Not yet it's still has a little ways to go. When he said ten feet he was talking about tower 4. At less I think he was.

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #24222
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Lets be accurate!

The tower will be exactly 1,000' 0" high when the structure reaches the 81st floor (not counting the 4' column splice).

If you wanna go metric, it'll surpass the 300m mark at the 80th floor (990' 8" / ~301.9m) counting the splices.

So, Cul was right

*All measurements start from the finished lobby floor; El. 311' 2"
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #24223
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

It will be a supertall in a blink of an eye, summer always flies by for me anyway. But 4 floors= approximately 1 month soo. I'm getting ready to party.
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #24224
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Ah, maybe this way of thinking is why the country is broke and going down the drain. No work ethic.

It wasn't even that hot out today. Plus it is cooler for them because they are way up in the air, get stronger breazes and are by the water.

Truthfully, this is sort of an example of why things aren't going so well. In the 30s with much more primitive technology the ESB went up in 18 months. Now with better technology and equipment we take forever to do things.

Anyways, hopefully they'll get back to work soon
I'm not so sure you can say this country has no work ethic.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #24225
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Ah, maybe this way of thinking is why the country is broke and going down the drain. No work ethic.

It wasn't even that hot out today. Plus it is cooler for them because they are way up in the air, get stronger breazes and are by the water.

Truthfully, this is sort of an example of why things aren't going so well. In the 30s with much more primitive technology the ESB went up in 18 months. Now with better technology and equipment we take forever to do things.

Anyways, hopefully they'll get back to work soon
The ESB is as equivalent to this building as a 1930 Ford is to a 2011 Ford. Just as modern cars, newer buildings are "denser" and have many more parts. In fact, I bet this building couldn't be built using 1930's technology.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #24226
DarthVaper77

Likes (Received): 2

Anyone know how tall the cranes are? And when will the tops of the cranes be about the roof height?
DarthVaper77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #24227
dutchsnookerfan

Likes (Received): 9

Were not there..... 337m?
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #24228
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

1WTC will be the talles bulding in the USA for a long Time i think.
Except the Chicago Spire project has a come-back
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #24229
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Hey Culwulla, thanks for the diagram For me it already is the tallest in Lower Manhattan since I accept roof height as the main measurement. That's why it won't be the tallest in America, but only the second tallest.
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #24230
Prince Valium

Likes (Received): 31

...so stop off-topic now

I have question to new york residents:

do most of you still prefer the old twin towers or did you 'get used' to the new single freedom tower?

i mean, now if you see how it rises, don't you think that this is coequal together with the other towers?

for me, the new wtc is awsome, especially tower 1 + 2, together they give an awsome picture in the skyline..
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #24231
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57917

Deleted several posts.

Don't go offtopic in here, it's a waste of time! We'll delete it anyway. And ban people if necessary.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #24232
Otie
Researcher

image hosted on flickr

The View of Lower Manhattan from Jersey City by RBudhu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

On Brooklyn Bridge at Night by William Yu photography, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower (new WTC) by lm-CHICO, on Flickr
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #24233
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

The Goldman sachs building looks great, can't wait to see how well it compliments the finished wtc in a few years.
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #24234
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...gRYq09wNef0BiM

A GSA haircut at 1 WTC
Last Updated: 11:58 PM, July 18, 2011
Posted: 11:53 PM, July 18, 2011

The Port Authority and the federal General Services Administration are negotiating for "much less" space at 1 World Trade Center than the GSA originally intended to lease, Realty Check has learned.

The US agency and the PA announced a prospective deal for 600,000 square feet four years ago, when 1 WTC was still called the Freedom Tower and government officials were desperate to get the long-stalled project off the ground.

Now, sources said, the GSA will likely end up with as little as half the original commitment. That comes on the heels of our story earlier this year that a second prospective government lease, for the state Office of General Services, is all but dead.

The prospective GSA shrinkage and OGS withdrawal will leave the PA with a whopping 900,000 square feet more in the 2.6 million square-foot tower to offer higher-paying private-sector tenants.

The GSA agreement with the PA was less than binding. Since then, everything has changed: Condé Nast pre-leased 1 million square feet at 1 WTC, and the Durst Organization signed on as the PA's minority partner.

Cushman & Wakefield's Tara Stacom has been walking more prospective tenants through the fast-rising tower. She would not comment on the GSA. But she said, "We're very confident about our ability to lease this building based on what we have on the table, and to continue to diversify the tenant mix downtown."

With a widespread perception that 1 WTC is hot, the last thing the PA or Durst wants is for the "iconic" tower to be full of government tenants paying below-market rents. The original, highly subsidized terms called for the GSA to pay a net-effective rent in the low $40s per square foot, compared with the $60s a foot starting rent Condé will pay.

The PA declined to comment. Renee Miscione, a spokesperson in the GSA's New York office, said, "We're in discussions with the Port Authority about this matter, so we are not going to confirm or comment."

The PA is mum about who's looked at 1 WTC, as is Larry Silverstein about his 4 WTC. But we've learned of three law firms that have kicked tires at either or both -- Milbank Tweed (which is also said to be considering the World Financial Center), Morgan Lewis and Chadbourne & Parke.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #24235
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2630

The first picture looks like a frozen movie trailer.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #24236
samdman

Likes (Received): 6

Wow, that glass is gorgeous.
samdman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #24237
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
it starts to dominate the skyline. Since 4WTC will be will be comparable to this height, this pic also shows the 4WTC will be very visible when completed.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #24238
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57917

Again: We'll delete the offtopic stuff. So stop your efforts, it's a waste of time. For us all.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #24239
Traynor
Back to Basics

Likes (Received): 15

Re-reading the last 5 pages has left me confused to the actual height we are now at...

The last jump I can see brought us to 910' feet... I can see no new steel added since that jump yet Culwulla's diagram indicates we are above 928' feet. when did that jump take place? As far as all the updates in this thread and everyone had said, we were still on floors 73-74 and at 910'... Then now with no new steel since then, we are suddenly 26'4" taller?

I like to update the Lower Manhattan checklist when we have surpassed a building, but now I am not sure where we really are anymore.

Traynor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #24240
Otie
Researcher

^ You really pay attention to the progress, don't you? Thanks for noticing that, yes, they're still 910' 8"... But seing Carlos' photos, it seems there's one core column 3 floors high... if that's right, then they are 910' 8" + 13' 4" = 924' above street level.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center