daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #24281
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
1 WTC is being built into a skyline that has grown a lot since the Twin Towers were being constructed. If you were building even just this 1 WTC instead of the Twins in the early '70's, you'd probably say it looks pretty dominant, no?
That might be, but still the old WTC would be more dominant because there were 2 towers and because they looked more massive than 1WTC does.

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #24282
samdman

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
That might be, but still the old WTC would be more dominant because there were 2 towers and because they looked more massive than 1WTC does.
Exactly. While they might be roughly equal in height (I'm not going to start another spire debate), the old WTC was extremely monolithic and almost intimidating, while the new 1WTC will be more elegant and inviting.
samdman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #24283
DarthVaper77

Likes (Received): 2

I liked the original WTC towers because how clean they looked, especially compared with the old surrounding buildings, which had many different levels and angels. The Twin Towers were just these massive boxes and they were, to me, beautiful structures. I think the new WTC will look great and I love that the other buildings will be much more prominent this time. I hated those five-story wimping looking ones that were around the twins.
DarthVaper77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #24284
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdman View Post
Exactly. While they might be roughly equal in height (I'm not going to start another spire debate), the old WTC was extremely monolithic and almost intimidating, while the new 1WTC will be more elegant and inviting.
Truer words have never been spoken

Here is a diagram showing how massive the twins were compared to 1WTC:

[IMG]http://i56.************/23s9r2a.jpg[/IMG]

Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #24285
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

I think new 1WTC and 2WTC make fair replacement..Just look at that diagram..And there are 3WTC and 4WTC so tall "gratis"..I don't know what else realistic people can ask for..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #24286
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28194

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
hey guys. here are some pictures from my first trip to nyc this weekend! not sure why they are so small though. enjoy!
You probably linked the thumbnail and not the pic itself, I tried to upload one of my pics and it worked out perfectly.

Nice update btw.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #24287
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Crystal Ball says... Kanto, if you keep bringing up the twins as you do every other day in this thread, I see the ban hammer/suspension in your future.

Really dude, you are starting to piss me off. I come here for 1 WTC progress updates and all I continue to see is your off topic BS. STOP!!!
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #24288
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
Crystal Ball says... Kanto, if you keep bringing up the twins as you do every other day in this thread, I see the ban hammer/suspension in your future.

Really dude, you are starting to piss me off. I come here for 1 WTC progress updates and all I continue to see is your off topic BS. STOP!!!
Yeah seriously, the Twins are LONG gone and the topic of which buildings are better is simply irrelevant. Who cares which is more massive or which one people think is better? I don't know why some people can't just move on.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #24289
eyeofodin

Likes (Received): 25

Onward with the photographs! Feed me now!
eyeofodin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:01 AM   #24290
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; July 21st, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM   #24291
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1275 by Ceva321, on Flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:03 AM   #24292
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post

Crystal ball says you annoy the hell outta me! Go harass somebody else you bully! I compared the twins to 1WTC, 1WTC, do you hear me? 1WTC is the purpose of this thread so I can compare it to other buildings as much as I want! Am I clear enough?
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:09 AM   #24293
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

The tower will look great in a few years time with the other towers beside it.
I cant wait to go and have a look at it myself when it is complete and have a
look at the view of Manhattan from the top.
I am just wondering, will the observation deck be an inside thing or will it be
outside like the old one was or will it be both.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:44 AM   #24294
Dave84

Likes (Received): 13

Why's the upper floors really spread out, by that i mean really high ceiling's? What's the reason for the extra height? They all can't be mechanical floors . . .
Dave84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:24 AM   #24295
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

I just watched this episode in HGTV regarding New York Real Estate and I found out that they are spending over US$100 million per month with this project. That's a lot of money. So every year, they spend over $1.2 billion. I'm hoping the construction will be completed soon.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:31 AM   #24296
nasa35

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
I just watched this episode in HGTV regarding New York Real Estate and I found out that they are spending over US$100 million per month with this project. That's a lot of money. So every year, they spend over $1.2 billion. I'm hoping the construction will be completed soon.
The union pay with all of the work rules is the issue. For instance, when I worked on the water project (croton) in the Bronx There had to be two electricians, two sheet metal workers, one operator, hours of supervisor pay and the master mechanic...while only I worked. For 18 days we had to pay 68,000.00 dollars in wages for zero work. It borders on the criminal.
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:32 AM   #24297
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
I think new 1WTC and 2WTC make fair replacement..Just look at that diagram..And there are 3WTC and 4WTC so tall "gratis"..I don't know what else realistic people can ask for..
People won't understand how truly massive this building is, till they see it in person. And anybody who says the former, where so much bigger, never seen them in person.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:43 AM   #24298
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
The tower will look great in a few years time with the other towers beside it.
I cant wait to go and have a look at it myself when it is complete and have a
look at the view of Manhattan from the top.
I am just wondering, will the observation deck be an inside thing or will it be
outside like the old one was or will it be both.
It'll have only an indoor observation deck from what I know
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM   #24299
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
People won't understand how truly massive this building is, till they see it in person. And anybody who says the former, where so much bigger, never seen them in person.
Not true. I saw the old ones in person all the time for about 20 years. I go down every other weekend to see the new one. The new one is big but the old ones were noticeably bigger and more imposing. And of course there were two of them.

I am glad we are getting the new complex but it would be nice if each building were a bit taller - maybe 200 to 150 feet each.

In fact, if they realized during the design faze how well they would do seeking commercial tennents I think they would have made them bigger.

Finally, the people who get all upset about these discussions need to chill. They are on topic for this thread and if you don't like them just scroll through without reading till you get to the pics. Nothing much is happening this week anyways. The new vertical steel doesn't go up until next week and you still can't see cladding for Carlos's vantage point.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:08 AM   #24300
eyeofodin

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC View Post
Quite filling. Thanks!
eyeofodin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center