daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2421
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie
 
Carlos123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 411
Likes (Received): 24

I simply love it.....perfect for my city!!!

__________________
I love NY

Last edited by Carlos123; September 16th, 2007 at 08:36 PM.
Carlos123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #2422
xlchris
Not much
 
xlchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Haarlem
Posts: 11,087
Likes (Received): 201

NICE NICE NICE -edit- I saw the bigger version?:S
__________________
"
xlchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2423
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie
 
Carlos123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 411
Likes (Received): 24

LOL too big sometimes is NO GOOD!!! Is not about the size!!!
__________________
I love NY
Carlos123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #2424
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie
 
Carlos123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 411
Likes (Received): 24

__________________
I love NY

Last edited by Carlos123; September 16th, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
Carlos123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #2425
gt2437
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 60
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post

This picture brings up an interesting point... Why are the subterranean floors by Freedom Tower (upper right) look higher/taller then they are now?

Did they tear some down and reconfigure it with the design changes to 1WTC?

for comparison: webcam
gt2437 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #2426
gt2437
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 60
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2437 View Post
This picture brings up an interesting point... Why are the subterranean floors by Freedom Tower (upper right) look higher/taller then they are now?

Did they tear some down and reconfigure it with the design changes to 1WTC?

for comparison: webcam
Okay, through the webcam this happened between late 2004-2005 (old news!). lol but why?
gt2437 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2427
TalB
Refugee
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,537
Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
not for a 541m tall tower
Now it doesn't matter b/c the Chicago Spire is projected to be completed at least a year earlier, so it will already be surpassed as the USA's tallest building.
__________________
I respected your views, so I expect you do to the same.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2428
jlh630
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Atlanta, Nashville
Posts: 150
Likes (Received): 7

Where has it been said that there will only be 69 floors? Is this new figure just not accounting for the bottom 19 floors which will be the base of the tower and the top 20 floors which are mechanical/observation floors?
jlh630 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #2429
TalB
Refugee
 
TalB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Posts: 7,537
Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...ctors_w-1.html
Daily News probe finds WTC contractors with mob ties, fraud
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY GREG B. SMITH

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, September 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

Seven contractors cited for everything from mob ties to tax fraud to fatal accidents are getting a slice of the $16 billion reconstruction at Ground Zero, a Daily News investigation has found.

The problem firms are found every day working the bulldozers, cranes, jackhammers and pile drivers rebuilding the site of the World Trade Center.

All of the companies work for the Port Authority, the Dormitory Authority or the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. on taxpayer-funded contracts worth millions of dollars.

The list starts with the John Galt Co., the shell company at the heart of growing investigations into the Aug. 18 fire at the Deutsche Bank tower that killed two firefighters.

Galt has ties to Safeway Environmental, a company with a lousy safety record that has been barred from city work because one of its directors is a reputed mob associate.

The News found six companies with issues:

QUADROZZI CONCRETE

Last week, a steady convoy of Quadrozzi Concrete's distinctive yellow and orange trucks delivered cement to the Freedom Tower job.

Six months before the Sept. 11 attacks, the city Department of Environmental Protection rejected Quadrozzi's request to be an approved city supplier, citing then-owner John Quadrozzi Sr.'s ties to the Luchese crime family and other concerns.

In 2004, Quadrozzi Sr. died and the company was taken over by his son, John Jr., who was owner of an affiliate that refused to answer a subpoena from city investigators vetting a permit application.

In October 2004, Quadrozzi Jr. reapplied to the city for approval as a supplier. Last year, Quadrozzi Concrete withdrew the request without explanation. He did not return calls on Friday.

That withdrawal came after the January 2005 indictment of Constatine Quadrozzi, then a vice president of Quadrozzi Concrete. He was charged with dumping toxic waste into Newtown Creek.

In June 2006 Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Carolyn Demarest dismissed the indictment. The judge found that although Quadrozzi had knowledge of the illegal dumping, he'd fixed the problem so no further prosecution was necessary.

The district attorney has appealed.

PAL ENVIRONMENTAL CORP.

In 2005, PAL Environmental signed a consent order admitting it had illegally disposed of toxic office equipment from the notorious Deutsche Bank tower at 130 Liberty St.

For four months in 2004, PAL shredded computers and furniture at the contaminated site without obtaining a permit from the state Department of Environmental Conservation. This meant DEC did not monitor the job.

Instead PAL monitored itself, providing the state with data it said showed no toxins leaked into the neighborhood.

In August 2005, the state DEC dismissed criminal violations against PAL after owner Salvatore DiLorenzo agreed to take "full responsibility" for claims arising from the illegal shredding and paid a $10,000 civil fine.

The Dormitory Authority, which is paying PAL $16.3 million to clean out Fiterman Hall behind 7 World Trade Center, was aware of this violation. DiLorenzo did not return calls.

LETICIA INC.

The black and white trucks hauling dirt from Ground Zero Wednesday had an unusually un-macho name - Leticia Inc., named after company president Leticia Rojas.

In April 2006, Rojas' husband, Manuel Mier, signed an affidavit promising "for the remainder of my life" to stay out of his wife's trucking business - Leticia Inc.

That's because Mier is a felon who pleaded guilty to using Leticia Inc. and other companies in a wide-ranging tax fraud scheme. He was sentenced to a year in jail and owes $523,000 in back taxes and penalties.

In April 2006, Rojas signed an agreement with the city Business Integrity Commission promising to keep her husband out of the company. (Mier is allowed to work for Rojas' real estate company, MEM Realty LLC).

Rojas agreed to hire a special monitor picked by the city to ensure her husband doesn't get a dime. Because of the monitor, the Port Authority allowed her company to work at Ground Zero.

On Friday Rojas said, "Why do you care about this?" and hung up.

TESTA CORP.

Testa Corp.'s bright yellow cranes dominate the southeast end of Ground Zero.

In April, Pamela Ciampi, whose family owns Testa, pleaded guilty in Boston Federal Court to dodging $250,000 in federal income taxes.

Investigators had seized records from Testa and Ciampi's other firm, PT Corp., both of Lynnfield, Mass., in a probe of sham women- and minority-owned firms.

That followed a July 2005 citation by federal regulators charging Testa with 15 job safety violations after a 190-foot tall steel craneway collapsed during a Testa demolition job, killing two workers.

OSHA slapped Testa with $60,000 in penalties, alleging that Testa did not do an engineering survey to determine the craneway's stability. In July 2005 Testa agreed to a $16,800 settlement.

A Testa executive who would only give his first name, Tim, said the Port Authority was aware of the craneway accident when it was hired.

LAQUILA GROUP

The firm is an offshoot of Laquila Construction whose owner, Dino Tomassetti Sr., has long-time ties to the mob, the FBI says.

Several informants have told the FBI Laquila Construction paid off mob-controlled unions so it could inflate profits by using nonunion help. Tomasetti Sr. pleaded guilty to one count of construction labor fraud in April.

Laquila Group - owned by Dino Tomassetti Jr. - was hired by developer Larry Silverstein to do excavation for the Freedom Tower. The Port Authority took over the job this year.

When investigators discovered Laquila Group was renting equipment from Dino Sr.'s company, a monitor was put in place and Dino Sr. agreed to stay away from the job.

The monitor, Toby Thacher, says the elder Tomassetti donates equipment to his son for the $35 million Freedom Tower job.

Laquila Group executives did not return calls.

JUDA CONSTRUCTION

Juda Construction has agreements with both Westchester County and the city of New York barring any interaction with a former Juda owner, Joseph Attonito, his son, Thomas, or any of their companies.

Joseph Attonito is a convicted felon. Law enforcement sources have said he was associated with organized crime. His son, Thomas, was convicted of perjury in 2003 for trying to hide from regulators his father's interest in another company, Whitney Trucking.

Juda has no such agreement for its work at Ground Zero, where last week Juda's white dump trucks hauled dirt from the Freedom Tower excavation site.

An employee answering the phone at Juda declined to comment and said owner Nicholas Paniccia was not available.

[email protected]
__________________
I respected your views, so I expect you do to the same.

Last edited by TalB; September 18th, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #2430
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight
 
Sentient Seas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,097
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Don't urge the hippies to occupy this building.
Hey man what's wrong with hippies?
Better than a bunch of tweakers.
__________________
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
Sentient Seas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #2431
devilsadvocate
Registered User
 
devilsadvocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Landeshauptstadt Hannover
Posts: 3,728
Likes (Received): 74

They should have better rebuild the bottom of old WTC (maybe 20floors) and then hardly stop the design to the actual FT, that it's like rising a new tower from the ground, out of old WTC...
Like a new plant out of a an old and desiccated clade...

Hope you understand;-)
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #2432
andysimo123
wind-up merchant
 
andysimo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,960
Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
They should have better rebuild the bottom of old WTC (maybe 20floors) and then hardly stop the design to the actual FT, that it's like rising a new tower from the ground, out of old WTC...
Like a new plant out of a an old and desiccated clade...

Hope you understand;-)
Could be done but it won't. I think it would just be the outside that would be the same. I think most Engineers including ICE and ASCE would strongly advise not to build the lower section of the new tower in the old way. I don't even think they would let anyone do it because of possible changes in standards. Too late really now for much more to change.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #2433
BrooklynNYC
Registered User
 
BrooklynNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos123 View Post
LOL too big sometimes is NO GOOD!!! Is not about the size!!!
ahaha the irony. coming from a gym rat! haha no harm intended
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #2434
Cadillac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 195
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos123 View Post
LOL too big sometimes is NO GOOD!!! Is not about the size!!!
LOL... nice abs Carlito
Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #2435
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man
 
TICONLA1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles/Venice
Posts: 822
Likes (Received): 121

I heard that the rentable floors are being increased from 69, to 80. is there any truth to that.???
__________________
"The last of the true industrialists" !!!!!
TICONLA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #2436
jessemh431
Registered User
 
jessemh431's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LA/Louisville
Posts: 1,007
Likes (Received): 86

lol. 69

and this is my post number 169!
jessemh431 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #2437
Kalish
I eat buildings!
 
Kalish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 27
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...ctors_w-1.html
Daily News probe finds WTC contractors with mob ties, fraud
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY GREG B. SMITH

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, September 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

Seven contractors cited for everything from mob ties to tax fraud to fatal accidents are getting a slice of the $16 billion reconstruction at Ground Zero, a Daily News investigation has found.

The problem firms are found every day working the bulldozers, cranes, jackhammers and pile drivers rebuilding the site of the World Trade Center.

All of the companies work for the Port Authority, the Dormitory Authority or the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. on taxpayer-funded contracts worth millions of dollars.

The list starts with the John Galt Co., the shell company at the heart of growing investigations into the Aug. 18 fire at the Deutsche Bank tower that killed two firefighters.

Galt has ties to Safeway Environmental, a company with a lousy safety record that has been barred from city work because one of its directors is a reputed mob associate.

The News found six companies with issues:

QUADROZZI CONCRETE

Last week, a steady convoy of Quadrozzi Concrete's distinctive yellow and orange trucks delivered cement to the Freedom Tower job.

Six months before the Sept. 11 attacks, the city Department of Environmental Protection rejected Quadrozzi's request to be an approved city supplier, citing then-owner John Quadrozzi Sr.'s ties to the Luchese crime family and other concerns.

In 2004, Quadrozzi Sr. died and the company was taken over by his son, John Jr., who was owner of an affiliate that refused to answer a subpoena from city investigators vetting a permit application.

In October 2004, Quadrozzi Jr. reapplied to the city for approval as a supplier. Last year, Quadrozzi Concrete withdrew the request without explanation. He did not return calls on Friday.

That withdrawal came after the January 2005 indictment of Constatine Quadrozzi, then a vice president of Quadrozzi Concrete. He was charged with dumping toxic waste into Newtown Creek.

In June 2006 Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Carolyn Demarest dismissed the indictment. The judge found that although Quadrozzi had knowledge of the illegal dumping, he'd fixed the problem so no further prosecution was necessary.

The district attorney has appealed.

PAL ENVIRONMENTAL CORP.

In 2005, PAL Environmental signed a consent order admitting it had illegally disposed of toxic office equipment from the notorious Deutsche Bank tower at 130 Liberty St.

For four months in 2004, PAL shredded computers and furniture at the contaminated site without obtaining a permit from the state Department of Environmental Conservation. This meant DEC did not monitor the job.

Instead PAL monitored itself, providing the state with data it said showed no toxins leaked into the neighborhood.

In August 2005, the state DEC dismissed criminal violations against PAL after owner Salvatore DiLorenzo agreed to take "full responsibility" for claims arising from the illegal shredding and paid a $10,000 civil fine.

The Dormitory Authority, which is paying PAL $16.3 million to clean out Fiterman Hall behind 7 World Trade Center, was aware of this violation. DiLorenzo did not return calls.

LETICIA INC.

The black and white trucks hauling dirt from Ground Zero Wednesday had an unusually un-macho name - Leticia Inc., named after company president Leticia Rojas.

In April 2006, Rojas' husband, Manuel Mier, signed an affidavit promising "for the remainder of my life" to stay out of his wife's trucking business - Leticia Inc.

That's because Mier is a felon who pleaded guilty to using Leticia Inc. and other companies in a wide-ranging tax fraud scheme. He was sentenced to a year in jail and owes $523,000 in back taxes and penalties.

In April 2006, Rojas signed an agreement with the city Business Integrity Commission promising to keep her husband out of the company. (Mier is allowed to work for Rojas' real estate company, MEM Realty LLC).

Rojas agreed to hire a special monitor picked by the city to ensure her husband doesn't get a dime. Because of the monitor, the Port Authority allowed her company to work at Ground Zero.

On Friday Rojas said, "Why do you care about this?" and hung up.

TESTA CORP.

Testa Corp.'s bright yellow cranes dominate the southeast end of Ground Zero.

In April, Pamela Ciampi, whose family owns Testa, pleaded guilty in Boston Federal Court to dodging $250,000 in federal income taxes.

Investigators had seized records from Testa and Ciampi's other firm, PT Corp., both of Lynnfield, Mass., in a probe of sham women- and minority-owned firms.

That followed a July 2005 citation by federal regulators charging Testa with 15 job safety violations after a 190-foot tall steel craneway collapsed during a Testa demolition job, killing two workers.

OSHA slapped Testa with $60,000 in penalties, alleging that Testa did not do an engineering survey to determine the craneway's stability. In July 2005 Testa agreed to a $16,800 settlement.

A Testa executive who would only give his first name, Tim, said the Port Authority was aware of the craneway accident when it was hired.

LAQUILA GROUP

The firm is an offshoot of Laquila Construction whose owner, Dino Tomassetti Sr., has long-time ties to the mob, the FBI says.

Several informants have told the FBI Laquila Construction paid off mob-controlled unions so it could inflate profits by using nonunion help. Tomasetti Sr. pleaded guilty to one count of construction labor fraud in April.

Laquila Group - owned by Dino Tomassetti Jr. - was hired by developer Larry Silverstein to do excavation for the Freedom Tower. The Port Authority took over the job this year.

When investigators discovered Laquila Group was renting equipment from Dino Sr.'s company, a monitor was put in place and Dino Sr. agreed to stay away from the job.

The monitor, Toby Thacher, says the elder Tomassetti donates equipment to his son for the $35 million Freedom Tower job.

Laquila Group executives did not return calls.

JUDA CONSTRUCTION

Juda Construction has agreements with both Westchester County and the city of New York barring any interaction with a former Juda owner, Joseph Attonito, his son, Thomas, or any of their companies.

Joseph Attonito is a convicted felon. Law enforcement sources have said he was associated with organized crime. His son, Thomas, was convicted of perjury in 2003 for trying to hide from regulators his father's interest in another company, Whitney Trucking.

Juda has no such agreement for its work at Ground Zero, where last week Juda's white dump trucks hauled dirt from the Freedom Tower excavation site.

An employee answering the phone at Juda declined to comment and said owner Nicholas Paniccia was not available.

[email protected]
Like this is a surprise? Let's see what happens to this CONCRETE building with all that quality mafia cement.
Kalish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #2438
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error
 
Gaeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,498
Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalish View Post
Like this is a surprise? Let's see what happens to this CONCRETE building with all that quality mafia cement.
I have a feeling that the reconstruction of this tower may cost more than $20 billion to $30 billion dollars with this situation going on.
__________________
GO REDSKINS!!!!!
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #2439
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man
 
TICONLA1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Los Angeles/Venice
Posts: 822
Likes (Received): 121

I worked out in Chicago from 1994 to 1999, and worked for a company (plumbing and pipefitting) that was obviously tied to the mob, from where i come from i found it refreshing, codes and installation standards are labor intensive, and union bylaws are strict as to how much can be installed in an 8 hour day, plus the unions are strong, close to 98% of all new construction is union labor.!!

In contrast to that, out here in Los Angeles, (where we have no mob) the unions hold less than 20% of all class "A" construction, almost all residential construction is non union, and a major portion of that labor pool is unskilled, non english speaking and cheap, 8.00 to 15.00 $ an hour. less than a living wage. there is alot of work out here now, esp. with 20 cranes downtown, for the unions but its never consistent, like in New York or Chicago, and the mob plays a role in that consistency.!!!

When the last building boom in Los Angeles ended in 1992, after 2 years on the bench, i went to Chicago and worked every day (except for winter closure) until i came back, this building boom started in 06, with a building slump of almost 14 years, if the mob where out here i'm sure it would have been slightly different for construction, therefore in my opinion a little corruption is a good thing, at least it keeps money in the United States.

The only thing that saves this city's building standards is strict codes and enforcment of those codes.
__________________
"The last of the true industrialists" !!!!!
TICONLA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #2440
Ebola
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,658
Likes (Received): 94

Maybe Giuliani let em' slide. Who cares if the mob is working on the WTC? As of now, this baby will be topped by 2010, maybe before that, without any doubt.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu