daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM   #24941
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Please stop the Sears Tower vs. 1WTC beef now. It doesn't lead anywhere here.

If you feel like it, you can open a separate thread at Citytalk and Urban Issues. But don't go on here.
I made one. Go check it out here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1429692
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:18 PM   #24942
Renna Hazel

Likes (Received): 14

So 1WTC would be 5th tallest in NYC by official height measurements? Would be nice if someone made a diagram for that.
Renna Hazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM   #24943
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Yes. Right now it's the 5th tallest, after ESB (1250/381), BoA (1200/366), Chrysler (1047/319) and NY Times (1047/319). I would make a diagram, but for some reason I can't screen cap :/
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM   #24944
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

It's fantastic to see this building so tall now I haven't been in this thread in ages, and it was just a few levels of steelwork last time I looked! Gonna be busy clicking back through the thread now lol
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:21 PM   #24945
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Okay, this message goes to oilmanjr and azn_man12345! You two are bullies, whenever I post my diagrams you attack me and insult me! Did you ever see me attack and insult somebody for posting an official height diagram? No! Also, you lie that everybody hates my diagrams when in fact the vast majority of forumers like them, as proven by the poll last week! I'm trying to contribute and you two just throw insults at me! Don't force your opinions to other people like a dictator! Unless you have a mild form of dementia you must already know that I will continue to make my diagrams the way I make them and there isn't anything you can do against it, period, so learn to live with it!
However, what most people support isn't always the correct thing.

OT: I hear carpenters are also going to be walking out with the concrete workers

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...275728206.html

Last edited by zapor1; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM   #24946
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

In skyscraper height measurement correctness is in the eye of the beholder. For you official height might seem correct but for me and the majority of people roof height seems correct

But please, let us stop the roof vs official debate here. This topic is for 1WTC
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM   #24947
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Ok let's stay OT. I'm not interested in your diagram war. I want to know more about the strike.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM   #24948
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^ Yes, sir.

WTC Work Stoppage Continues for Third Day

Quote:
By Joseph De Avila

Getty Images/ Construction workers sit outside the World Trade Center on Tuesday.

Concrete workers didn’t show up for work at two World Trade Center sites for a third straight day as a standoff between union officials and management continued Wednesday.

The job action has slowed construction at the World Trade Center’s 800,000-square foot transit hub and at One World Trade Center, both being built by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Hundreds of other tradesmen unrelated to the contract dispute were unable to work as a result of the walkout by concrete workers, according to officials with Building Trades Employers’ Association, an umbrella group that represents contractors.

The previous contract covering more than 2,000 concrete workers expired over a month ago. Contractors have insisted that concrete workers accept 20% less in wages and benefits for residential and hotel construction relative to commercial construction, and the union hasn’t budged on that demand so far.

The Cement League, a contractors’ association that represents management, and the Cement and Concrete Workers District Council, representing concrete workers, both declined to comment.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the city won’t take a position in the ongoing dispute.

“They have to go and work this out themselves,” the mayor said during a press conference Wednesday. ”Nobody should be forced to work or not work. It’s a dispute between private labor unions and private employers. They have a right to do that.”

Bloomberg said the squabble won’t impact work on the 9/11 Memorial, which is scheduled to debut next month on the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

Contractors recently filed complaints with an independent arbitrator over stoppages by concrete workers at four other construction sites in the city, according to people familiar with the matter. Those sites were included in agreements that forbid strikes or job actions.

The sites include the renovation work at Madison Square Garden and construction at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, Two World Trade Center and a new development on West 57th Street. On Tuesday, the arbitrator issued a cease-and-desist order in favor of the contractors and instructed the concrete workers to return to work.

“They are back working [at those four sites] to my knowledge. And that’s helpful,” said Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York, a lobbying group.

There is an additional arbitration hearing scheduled for Wednesday regarding the Weill Cornell Medical Center on East 69th Street, where concrete workers also walked out.

The dispute has centered on contractors demanding that concrete workers accept wage and benefit cuts for residential and hotel work. Non-union construction workers have begun to control a larger portion of those markets, Spinola said.

“We are basically saying that in order to be competitive in residential development, we need to bring the cost down,” Spinola said.

It’s unclear how long the standoff at the World Trade Center could last. If it goes into next week, up to 1,000 construction workers could be forced to stop work as a result of the job action, said Louis Coletti, president of the Building Trades Employers’ Association.

“These things have a life of their own. Sometimes you can resolve insurmountable differences pretty quickly. Other times no,” Coletti said. “It’s really hard to speculate.”

–Lisa Fleisher contributed to this article.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #24949
LegitimateAnswer
:P

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Okay, this message goes to oilmanjr and azn_man12345! You two are bullies, whenever I post my diagrams you attack me and insult me! Did you ever see me attack and insult somebody for posting an official height diagram? No! Also, you lie that everybody hates my diagrams when in fact the vast majority of forumers like them, as proven by the poll last week! I'm trying to contribute and you two just throw insults at me! Don't force your opinions to other people like a dictator! Unless you have a mild form of dementia you must already know that I will continue to make my diagrams the way I make them and there isn't anything you can do against it, period, so learn to live with it!
I like your diagrams , theyre professional, helpful and cool

Dont worry about the others
LegitimateAnswer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #24950
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Thanks
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM   #24951
Otie
Researcher

An Inside Look At The Rising Freedom Tower

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM   #24952
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28210

Nice. That 3rd is looking down at the roof of WTC7 ?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:03 PM   #24953
Athinaios
3D geo-modeler

Likes (Received): 136

Couple photos taken by me yesterday (08/02/2011)

it was a great feeling to see the tower again after a month! What a huge progress!!

One World Trade Center in Google Earth
Athinaios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM   #24954
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Thanks Otie for posting that for me.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:49 PM   #24955
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Wikipedia is saying that work on tower 1 has resumed.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #24956
Otie
Researcher

Just a FYI to y'all:

Steven Spielberg, Discovery and Sicence Channel Team Up for 'Rebuilding Ground Zero'

Quote:
Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero, premiering Friday, August 25 at 8PM E/P on Discovery Channel,

The six-hour special premieres Thursday, August 25 and concludes Thursday, September 1 from 8-11PM ET/PT each night.

Science will encore Discovery Channel's Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero on Sunday, August 28 from 8-11PM ET/PT and Sunday, September 4 from 8-11PM ET/PT. The entire six-hour special will re-air on Sunday, September 11 at 5PM ET/PT.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #24957
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitimateAnswer View Post
I like your diagrams , theyre professional, helpful and cool

Dont worry about the others
Yeah, real professional. Especially the check marks. Oh but beside the fact that it is not officially correct.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #24958
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Is there a render of 1 WTC that shows what the last floor before the roof will look like? Just wondering
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #24959
Otie
Researcher

^ You never give up, do you?

I wouldn't call my work renders, but illustrations:

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center Illustration by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr

Removing the Communcations structure and the Window washing tracks
image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center Ilustration by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr

I didn't post them because they aren't the final product, a bunch of work still to do.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #24960
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Otie: STR, Culwulla, Dino, and yourself have us spoiled. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten used to this site being professional.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center