daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #25001
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
on the closeups of the top of WTC1 tower you really see how small it is. The usable non-core space is tiny - sort of like the Chrysler building. This is exactly as I feared. By the time it gets to the top and is square again it will be absurdly small.

This is definitely not an imposing or impressive tower. Better than nothing but NYC still needs something bigger to truly dominate the skyline.
The core changes shape as the tower increases in height, and if 9/11 taught us anything, it is that you need a strong core so that people can exit the building in an emergency.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #25002
scaman

Likes (Received): 63

Very nice!
scaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #25003
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I think that redundancy is more important than functionality. A building must be strong more than anything else. However I do think that the new WTC towers should have been made far larger than they are now. I keep saying it, they should have made 2 large towers instead of 5 smaller ones.
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #25005
abuabu

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
on the closeups of the top of WTC1 tower you really see how small it is. The usable non-core space is tiny - sort of like the Chrysler building. This is exactly as I feared. By the time it gets to the top and is square again it will be absurdly small.

This is definitely not an imposing or impressive tower. Better than nothing but NYC still needs something bigger to truly dominate the skyline.
im guessing you haven't seen 1WTC in person because it is MASSIVE and it very impressive.
abuabu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #25006
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^ You wouldn't be a good detective, he's been there even when the old complex was there. The old towers were more impossing than the lonely 1WTC. That's probably the main reason why he wrote that, but once all four towers get built the complex will be denser than the old one.

@Dan: The core is constantly changing, above the 88th floor, it gets quite small.

View from the Memorial entrance:
image hosted on flickr

201108_WTCMemorialUpdate_14 by curbed, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #25007
abuabu

Likes (Received): 3

ok fair enough, but im gonna have to disagree that saying this tower is not going to be impressive.
abuabu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #25008
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Does anyone have any diagrams or pictures of the core structure so we can see how it changes? That would be nice.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #25009
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^Directly from Zen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I never actually counted the number of times the core changes shape but I think it's more than 20 times.

The majority of the core's transformations occur at the base. The red parts are MEP, 4 ADA elevators and PATH vents, 3 of 4 stop at 20th floor. Only the green part goes up to the 70th fl.

Higher up the core takes an octagonal shape (the drawing is roughly) + there's a relocation of two of the elevators bank.
Above the 88th floor (last office floor) only the orange part runs all the way up to the roof.

Last edited by Otie; August 4th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #25010
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenfromJersey View Post
Really? I like it.

@325crr: Is that Photoshop? Which filter did you use?

Yes, Elements 9 - shadows & highlights

Oh yeah also, its not even HDR. Not going to start a war, but I thought it would bring some variety like others said. Its all the same photos over & over, thats great but I thought I would mix it up a bit. Thats all!

This IS HDR http://wallpaperswide.com/gothic_bui...allpapers.html

EDIT- Otie, Thanks! Means a lot!!

Last edited by 325ccr; August 5th, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #25011
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

interesting, the core seems to take up a very disproportionate amount of space, though that is understandable.

Does anyone have a list of NYC office buildings by usable space? That would be very interesting. I wonder of the BofA building, for example, actually has more usable office space than WTC1. I bet it is close.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #25012
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I recall some officials mentioning that the new WTC will be safer than the rules require. But I dunno how the rules changed after 9/11. Is BoA a supersafe skyscraper like the new WTC? Or is it just a standard one? Or is it somewhere in between?
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #25013
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I recall some officials mentioning that the new WTC will be safer than the rules require. But I dunno how the rules changed after 9/11. Is BoA a supersafe skyscraper like the new WTC? Or is it just a standard one? Or is it somewhere in between?

BofA is pretty beefy, I believe the elevators and stairs are in the concrete core, but not nearly at the level of 1wtc

But in all honesty, it doesnt get much safer than a typical steel building.

I think we all now know that bar joists aren't worth a damn.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #25014
Kevin Scott Koepke

Likes (Received): 1

image hosted on flickr

the rising giants. by kevin scott koepke photography, on Flickr
Kevin Scott Koepke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #25015
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Does anyone know when 1wtc will start climbing again?
Old August 5th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #25016
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Quote:
I recall some officials mentioning that the new WTC will be safer than the rules require...
Probably, But to they're using compressed concrete with 2" rebar to build the core. It's essentially the worlds tallest bunker. This is giving the designers fits with the lobby. Apparently, it looks like a bunker.

The word 'indestructible" has a very poor history, but this looks like a pretty solid attempt at it.
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #25017
Credo
I Believe

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
Does anyone know when 1wtc will start climbing again?
Well, since the concrete workers are back on their jobs, it should get back to the pace it had been (assuming fair weather, etc.).

I was thinking this building would start looking a little wimpy by the time it reached 70 floors or so, but the taller it gets, the more impressed I am with how it holds its own in the skyline.

It's a beast of a building.
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #25018
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Hoping for some new vertical steel tomorrow.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #25019
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
I bet many people will continue to call it Freedom Tower. Even though that name isn't official anymore, it has a life of it's own now. It will be similar to the old Twin Towers, which were not usually called 1WTC and 2WTC, but North Tower and South Tower. Nicknames are easier to remember than boring official names
Come on, people...how many time is "Freedom tower" has been on air: 6, 7 years?? It's not an everlasting name...even former Burj Dubai today is known as Burj Khalifa and nobody seems to be upset
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #25020
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablobegood View Post
Come on, people...how many time is "Freedom tower" has been on air: 6, 7 years?? It's not an everlasting name...even former Burj Dubai today is known as Burj Khalifa and nobody seems to be upset
I know it as Burj Dubai...
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center