daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #25401
marcopolo
◜◝◟◞◜◝◟◞◜

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The better face.
marcopolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #25402
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
Well that would be new york
That's what i felt last winter when i lived there
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #25403
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

Here's a picture I took tonight. I always wanted to take some pictures of lightning, but never bothered to sit outside taking one 2 second exposure shot after another until I happen to catch a bolt. This was actually the 5th picture I took, The rest of the night was not so fruitful.

KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #25404
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

This is a little off-topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about the progress of the new WTC mall? Are they working on the below-grade portion? I had read somewhere that the mall would open in 2012.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #25405
walrus357

Likes (Received): 1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencharles View Post
16 August
image hosted on flickr

Fulton Street por nyperson, no Flickr
Slow...
winner!!
walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #25406
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Gorgeous!

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #25407
steve1young

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
That is correct - they are LARGER, not smaller.

So millions of people will go there thinking they are looking at the foot prints of the old towers - and they will be wrong. This is very unprofessional work. I am surprised the families of the victims didn't put up a big fight on this. Maybe they did and I just missed it.

The PA will probably blame it on lack of space. But I don't believe that. For starters they could have gotten rid of the stupid streets they have allowed back into the WTC site.

Very poor decision for something meant to be solemn.

A positive that may come out of the footprints being slightly smaller than the original towers is that if the footings for the sides of the waterfalls are brought straight down to the floor of the memorial museum (not sure if they are or not), that would still allow you to view the original footings of the twins. I'm not sure if I explained that very well. Sorry.

I also have to add that it absolutely boggles my mind that people find so much to complain about and so much fault with the memorial, museum, and WTC buildings which in the grand scheme of things, are really very minor points.

I have a tendency towards eye-rollling when viewing posts like, "Yeah, way to go NYC!" and such, but I think I'll be better able to appreciate them now after being reminded of how much worse it is to see such ridiculous dribble and complaints like yours. Thanks!
steve1young no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #25408
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

August 16th..

image hosted on flickr

Big Business by jeffs4653 on Flickr
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #25409
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

August 17th..

image hosted on flickr

WTC , I LOVE NEW YORK , U.S.A by cubs663 on Flickr
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #25410
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

whats the large object held by the crane in oties second pic?
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #25411
Strait City

Likes (Received): 52

I think it is one of the fire trucks for the memorial read the postscript under the photo
Strait City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #25412
Ack

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
That is correct - they are LARGER, not smaller.

So millions of people will go there thinking they are looking at the foot prints of the old towers - and they will be wrong. This is very unprofessional work. I am surprised the families of the victims didn't put up a big fight on this. Maybe they did and I just missed it.

The PA will probably blame it on lack of space. But I don't believe that. For starters they could have gotten rid of the stupid streets they have allowed back into the WTC site.

Very poor decision for something meant to be solemn.
There was an article posted in the Chicago Tribune this week that specifically speaks about this. While the pools are not the exact footprints of the original WTC 1 and 2, the first line of trees that border the pools are in the exact footprints.

From the article:

"There is something distinctly nonabstract about a ring of trees around the reflecting pools: The trees precisely replicate the footprints of the twin towers, 212 feet by 212 feet each, as surely as the pools evoke the towers' absence. This isn't slavish nostalgia or pandering to the families of the victims. Rooting the memorial in the particular qualities of its site sends a clear message: This is where people were murdered, where the towers pancaked downward in an apocalyptic vision of smoke, fire and ash. This is not a memorial that could be anywhere; it could only have been built here."

The full article is here.

I think the person who submitted this got the dimension wrong as it is supposed to be 208' x 208'.
Ack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #25413
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Thanks, I feel better now that at least they have the correct foot prints of the old towers demarcated in some fashion.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #25414
Bluedome

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Thanks, I feel better now that at least they have the correct foot prints of the old towers demarcated in some fashion.
Why is this so important to you? Who said that outlining the original tower footprints is the only way to honor the dead? And why are they being any less honored if the outline isn't exactly the same? They didn't need to make these two giant pools, you know that right?
Bluedome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #25415
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedome View Post
Why is this so important to you? Who said that outlining the original tower footprints is the only way to honor the dead? And why are they being any less honored if the outline isn't exactly the same? They didn't need to make these two giant pools, you know that right?
Ah, because when people go to see a memorial about an event they want to see it where it happened. If not, then they would build this in maybe Indiana.

One would think that would be self evident but apparently it isn't.

To mods: sorry this has gone off topic. I am done with it.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #25416
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

The memorial is overkill to be sure. You have to think 25 or more years into the future. The entire WTC site will have been rebuilt and reincorporated into the fabric of lower Manhattan. By then, this billion dollar memorial will possess roughly similar meaning and instill the same reverence as the tomb of Millard Fillmore. Or the site of the Eastland disaster in Chicago. There, a $500 plaque commemorates the deaths of more than 800 people in 1915.

At least the pools and open space will be abstract and pleasing enough to be useful to future New Yorkers as park land - a pleasant place to eat lunch on a busy workday. I mean no disrespect to the thousands who lost their lives there 10 years ago. But the truth is the truth. Life goes on.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #25417
Kemence
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

nice
Kemence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #25418
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

BEAUTIFUL NEW YORK!!!! This tower is clearly symbolic of strength (in its shape) and will (in its jaw-dropping height). New Yorkers are in themselves the image of courage.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #25419
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post

The memorial is overkill to be sure. You have to think 25 or more years into the future. The entire WTC site will have been rebuilt and reincorporated into the fabric of lower Manhattan. By then, this billion dollar memorial will possess roughly similar meaning and instill the same reverence as the tomb of Millard Fillmore. Or the site of the Eastland disaster in Chicago. There, a $500 plaque commemorates the deaths of more than 800 people in 1915.

At least the pools and open space will be abstract and pleasing enough to be useful to future New Yorkers as park land - a pleasant place to eat lunch on a busy workday. I mean no disrespect to the thousands who lost their lives there 10 years ago. But the truth is the truth. Life goes on.
What? Are you really comparing the death of Millard Fillmore and the Eastland disaster to the worst attack on U.S. soil in 200 years? 9/11 was much too important of an event to be forgotten in a measly 25 years. Give me a break. It has set the stage for world affairs in the forseeable future and is undoubtedly the biggest event of the century thus far.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #25420
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I 1000% agree with you.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center