daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #241
nolimit

Likes (Received): 5

The Freedom Tower will be 1,776 ft due to the pointed antenna, wish the design can change so that its height to roof that's 1,766 ft ! Anyway why design a building that's going to cost billions and yet ppl will doubt its height ! It actuall looks like a toothpick at the top. After so many design change, its still disappointing, its suppose to be an icon of America.

Highcliff liked this post
nolimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #242
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 724

I really have no more interest in this tower. I agree with NoLimit says. It could have been so much more. Then again it could have been one of those hideous previous proposals that were approved.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #243
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

$3bil tower better be insanely nice!

philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #244
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

It looks pretty good as "just another skyscraper." But as a landmark... meh.

MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #245
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
yeah, were in america where we care for our workers and pay them a liveable wage.
Oh yeah, good point. But still, it's almost 4x more expensive. And if you adjust that figure based on the fact that Burj Dubai is also much bigger and taller, the Freedom Tower becomes more like 7x as expensive. Could such a huge difference really be just because of the salaries?

MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #246
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

For some reason I really like the new Freedom Tower. It may not be a imaginative as some of the buildings being planned for other cities around the world, but I think it fits. Now if they did a switch-a-roo and made 175 Greenwich (tower 3) 1,776 ft, I'd be in a state of bliss.

mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #247
Adi-Romania(Boston)

Likes (Received): 12

Metallitool....no. Land area in downtown Manhattan I assume is currently worth more than in downtown Dubai. If you have 6000 workers at say...4000$ a year and 3000 at say....50,000 a year (whatever workers in usa make) the dif is not that large.

6000 x 4000 x 5(years) = 120mill.
3000 x 50000 x 5 = 750 mill.

Thats if they have 3000 workers at the freedom tower which i HIGHLY doubt but I know theres supposed to eventually be 6000 at the Burj Dubai.

Thats a 630mill discrepancy. The rest...well Im not an expert but its probably the land cost.

Adi-Romania(Boston) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #248
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi-Romania(Boston) View Post
Metallitool....no. Land area in downtown Manhattan I assume is currently worth more than in downtown Dubai. If you have 6000 workers at say...4000$ a year and 3000 at say....50,000 a year (whatever workers in usa make) the dif is not that large.

6000 x 4000 x 5(years) = 120mill.
3000 x 50000 x 5 = 750 mill.

Thats if they have 3000 workers at the freedom tower which i HIGHLY doubt but I know theres supposed to eventually be 6000 at the Burj Dubai.

Thats a 630mill discrepancy. The rest...well Im not an expert but its probably the land cost.
Hmm, you almost hit it on the head. First off your average unionized contruction worker makes more than 50k a year (at least in this city). Also there are health insurance costs plus the fact you can't and probably won't have/afford construction workers 24/7/365, so the actual cost rises as other variables such as weather or cost increases/inflation can hit a construction site because of the longer construction period.

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #249
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=66951

Governor Eliot Spitzer said that he is throwing his support behind the Freedom Tower, despite earlier concerns about the project.

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:22 AM   #250
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

How many times have we heard that the FT was approoved, b/c after each of them, it just became a false start?

TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:27 AM   #251
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

I think the 800m figure for the burj isn't the whole cost of the tower but just what's being built now. Interiors and cladding have to be added as well.

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:57 AM   #252
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
How many times have we heard that the FT was approoved, b/c after each of them, it just became a false start?
Please. What are you going to say when the tower cranes go up in a day or two from now? What are you going to say when the steel substructure is completed in a few months? What are you going to say when the core reaches grade? What are you going to say when the tower starts to rise at the end of this year? I can picture someone like you saying, "It's merely a false start; don't get your hopes up" two seconds before the skyscraper tops out.

Now that Bloomberg, Spitzer, Corzine, Silverstein, and the PA are all on the same level, there's basically no chance that the FT won't be completed.

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:11 AM   #253
jogiba

Likes (Received): 524

World's Tallest Building when completed in 2013 !

Dumb and dumber, that is WABC TV in NYC on the news today at noon said the Freedom Tower will be the World's tallest building when completed in 2013. See the video at the 1:33 mark into the 2:16 long video.

jogiba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:06 AM   #254
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

they wish, the Burj Dubai is ALOT taller

megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:16 AM   #255
Liverdude
Hypnotize!

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
For some reason I really like the new Freedom Tower.
Me too! I missed out on the twins by a few months. I was suppsosed to go to NY early in 2002 but 9/11 messed up my trip and I haven't had the chance to go since. So hopefully my first time in New York, i'll get to see the new World Trade Centre rise!

Liverdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:21 AM   #256
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7063

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Dumb and dumber, that is WABC TV in NYC on the news today at noon said the Freedom Tower will be the World's tallest building when completed in 2013. See the video at the 1:33 mark into the 2:16 long video.
LMAO!!! They need to do some research. There are several around the world that will be much taller than this. Especially by 2013. lol

xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:31 AM   #257
Adi-Romania(Boston)

Likes (Received): 12

Why the hell does it take them 6 YEARS?!?!? That is a huge amount of time and its not like they started from scratch....they already have a big hole and probably piling done, etc.

Adi-Romania(Boston) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM   #258
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi-Romania(Boston) View Post
Why the hell does it take them 6 YEARS?!?!? That is a huge amount of time and its not like they started from scratch....they already have a big hole and probably piling done, etc.
This isn't Dubai or China, where workers are on site 24/7. Second, although they already had a hole, they had to dig even more for the foundations. Also, they can only do weekend work on the north side of the footprint because the building will sit atop train tunnels, and they can only work on that part of the building on the weekends. There is your reason...

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM   #259
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Spitzer backs Freedom Tower spending

A construction crew works at Ground Zero November 17, 2006 in New York City. Formal
construction of the Freedom Tower will begin today with as much as 400 cubic yards of
concrete to be poured onto the foundation. The Freedom Tower is expected to rise to
1,776 feet on completion in 2011.

BY EMI ENDO
February 21, 2007

Satisfied that it was better to build the Freedom Tower than to kill it, Gov. Eliot Spitzer Tuesday said he would support plans for the 1,776-foot tower "as it is designed."

Flanked by New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine and Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a news conference in lower Manhattan, Spitzer said, "We will move forward."

Before he took office in January, Spitzer said he needed to review financial details of the Freedom Tower. Tuesday, he said the "renewed vitality" of the real estate market was an encouraging sign that the tower would be viable. About 1 million square feet of the project's 2.6 million square feet of office space is close to being leased, he said.

Construction for the tower is budgeted at $2.48 billion, with additional costs of $506,000. The board of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is scheduled to meet tomorrow to consider additional contracts for the project.

Spitzer, who said he was frustrated before with what he considered "excessive delays," said his support didn't mean "that this is how I would have desired it to be built, but where we are today, clearly this is the best and wisest alternative."

Both governors and Bloomberg yesterday said they were open to the idea of selling the Freedom Tower to another entity.

Spitzer said he had no "opposition, on a philosophical level, to selling the tower" or letting someone else build, lease and own it.

Corzine agreed, saying that if such a transaction allowed the Port Authority to focus more on transportation, "You'd have a strong case to make that it was good public policy."

Asked later in the day about the prospect of selling the tower, Bloomberg said, if it freed up capital for the bistate agency for other uses, it might be a "great idea."

With such large projects, he said, the question of ownership was more of a technical financial arrangement. "I don't think that it matters," he said.

The Freedom Tower, on the northwest corner of the World Trade Center site, will have 69 floors of offices rising above a 200-foot high building base that was redesigned in order to address security concerns. It is projected to be finished in 2011.

Critics have said the latest design sacrificed the expressiveness of the glass-and-steel world that architect Daniel Libeskind originally envisioned.

The three elected officials appeared together Tuesday at a Port Authority office in lower Manhattan.

After Bloomberg left early to attend another event, Spitzer was asked about the push by some family members of those killed in the attacks to change the way the names of victims will be displayed at Ground Zero. While Bloomberg has repeatedly said that the question had been settled, Spitzer suggested that the issue could be revisited.

@ Copyright Newsday Inc.

krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM   #260
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatower View Post
they wish, the Burj Dubai is ALOT taller
No shit? I mean, how can we forget seeing as how you always remind us whenever there is a building claming to be taller than the Burj? I mean seriously...WE KNOW!!!

Oh..and btw..in case you people don't already know, 1 World Trade will be a few feet taller that the original WTC. This building is far from small.

soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center