daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #26181
King of Construction
skyscraperized
 
King of Construction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kelpen-Oler
Posts: 801
Likes (Received): 254



Nice that they lighted the WTC into the colours of the Dutch flag
__________________
As finishing touch, God created the Dutch

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #26182
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy31 View Post
What's the purpose of this article??? I personally don't care what the rest of the world does with their buildings. I say more power to them for building bigger, taller. If their economy dictates the need for all that space..then do so. If not, why build all those buildings just to be empty shells. The new WTC1 building will be the tallest in the United States, and hopefully will be full capacity once it's finished.
Well, I care. The US used to have the world's tallest building for over a century. ESB, the old WTC, Willis Tower and many more all were made as the world's tallest building. But this WTC doesn't even have the tallest building in the US. Also, the complex is in fact smaller than the old one since the tallest building on the site is equaly tall to the old tallest building but the second tallest building is smaller than the old second tallest building. The new WTC towers are an architectural masterpiece however their height is a joke. The US should really go back to building top height supertalls. Their tallest building is from 1974, which is 37 years and even after the completition of the new WTC it'll still stay this way. That's just so wrong
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #26183
Botswana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 266
Likes (Received): 30

The death of the skyscraper in the US started long ago. In the US, everyone wants to build their own ugly suburban clone house with a white picket fence, so the cities expand outwards while the downtown sections die. It's not so much a problem in New York or Chicago, but cities like Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Boston suffer from it. Also, too much red tape as well.

In China and Dubai, it's different. Europe has never been a fan of skyscrapers, because it preserves its historical centers. Moscow, Paris, London and Frankfurt are the only European cities that have any real tall buildings.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #26184
pagey17
Registered User
 
pagey17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire
Posts: 955
Likes (Received): 3

I love the waterpools
pagey17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #26185
Kevin Scott Koepke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 1

image hosted on flickr

one world trade center. by kevin scott koepke photography, on Flickr
Kevin Scott Koepke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #26186
Balansiyí
des de Balansiya
 
Balansiyí's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zona No €uro
Posts: 2,994
Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botswana View Post
In China and Dubai, it's different. Europe has never been a fan of skyscrapers, because it preserves its historical centers. Moscow, Paris, London and Frankfurt are the only European cities that have any real tall buildings.
And Madrid, they have 4 real skyscrapers (CTBA) .

By the way, congratulations for your new WTC. I´ve never been in New York, and i wanna go there only to see that. But i´ll wait for 2012 at least.
__________________
Salutacions.
Balansiyí no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #26187
rencharles
We will never forget
 
rencharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 579
Likes (Received): 93

Building skyscrapers in China is easy, with cheap labor.
And in Dubai, they have no economy to worry, no rules to worry, people do not have to worry about. With oil money, the only thing they have to do is build.

Nowadays, any city that has money builds a super-tall building to prove it can build. That's the difference from New York, we do not need to prove anything to anyone. We build the Empire State, Chrysler (at the time of "The Crash of 1929"), and the World Trade Center with little technology, where the world did not dream how to build that high.

I honestly do not care about the rest of the world. New York is a hell of buildings where few cities have so many tall buildings like us.

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower in the clouds por ccho, no Flickr
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #26188
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

That photo is awesome
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #26189
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...
 
IanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 252
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertxon View Post
This new tower is ugly as hell!
Hope you're not referring to Tower 1. It is beautiful!
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #26190
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Even if he isn't reffering to 1WTC none of the WTC towers deserve to be called ugly because all of them are masterpieces of architecture
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #26191
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Well, I care. The US used to have the world's tallest building for over a century. ESB, the old WTC, Willis Tower and many more all were made as the world's tallest building. But this WTC doesn't even have the tallest building in the US.
According to your own personal parameters. But official measurements don't follow what you "feel" is right, objective parameters on which the official heights are registered. And according to those, 1WTC will be the tallest in the US, and that is what only skyscraper fans care about, while more than 90% of the population won't even care.

Quote:
Also, the complex is in fact smaller than the old one since the tallest building on the site is equaly tall to the old tallest building but the second tallest building is smaller than the old second tallest building.
Again, selective information (and completely personal). Have you completely forgotten of Tower 3? What About Tower 4? They are out of your calculations because...?
And, most importantly "smaller" by what parameter? Total available space (in square feet)? Totals stacked height (therefore adding the 2 old WTC towers, compared to adding the 4 new towers)? Specify please.

Quote:
The new WTC towers are an architectural masterpiece however their height is a joke. The US should really go back to building top height supertalls.
Your personal opinion. Something a developer could care less about (and at least one person that reads this forum). A developer, takes into account office need, based on current and projections of future demand. Because the money invested needs to turn a profit, therefore you need to sell it. If you build more office space and there is no demand for it, how do you expect to have a return in the investment? And if you don't have a return on your investment, why would that person/company invest in the first place?

I don't want to sound offensive, but it looks like you haven't had even a basic education in economics, so or your too young for that or never had the opportunity, in which case you should refrain from making these kind of statements.

Quote:
Their tallest building is from 1974, which is 37 years and even after the completition of the new WTC it'll still stay this way. That's just so wrong
Again, based on your personal opinion rather than recognized parameters. So same answer as above.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #26192
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

You don't need to tell me about economics, I know that towers in the US get to be built for demand, not as oil trophies. However take the WTC into consideration. There will be 5 towers over there. My question is why? Why 5 smaller towers and not 1 megatall or 2 if you want one to belong to Larry and one to the PA? Why is that? Why did Larry have to build 4 smaller buildings? Why couldn't he build one taller and use the rest of his land as park or retail? I'm really curious about these things

Also, I'd like to point out that I'm open to facts and I am not making any "statements". I am merely starting a discussion. After all, this is a discussion forum. I will gladly listen/learn to what other people have to say about this matter
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #26193
LAYZIEDOGG
Los Santos
 
LAYZIEDOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Posts: 1,501
Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertxon View Post
This new tower is ugly as hell!
You're an idiot and you know you are, don't you?!
LAYZIEDOGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #26194
LoKeY
Registered User
 
LoKeY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 2,963
Likes (Received): 26

Why destroy a well balanced lower Manhattan skyline with a megatall when u can have a complex that fits in perfectly?
__________________
Na nebotičnik sva odšla,
bliže sonca in modrega neba.


Nova Gorica - Slovenija
LoKeY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #26195
romanamerican
Registered User
 
romanamerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
You don't need to tell me about economics, I know that towers in the US get to be built for demand, not as oil trophies. However take the WTC into consideration. There will be 5 towers over there. My question is why? Why 5 smaller towers and not 1 megatall or 2 if you want one to belong to Larry and one to the PA? Why is that? Why did Larry have to build 4 smaller buildings? Why couldn't he build one taller and use the rest of his land as park or retail? I'm really curious about these things

Also, I'd like to point out that I'm open to facts and I am not making any "statements". I am merely starting a discussion. After all, this is a discussion forum. I will gladly listen/learn to what other people have to say about this matter
Lokey answered one point: aesthetics. One of the requirements for the design has always been one: stand out, but not too much. And given the kind of project (political and social involvement) that was extremely important.

Second: the higher you build, the higher the cost per square foot. If you already own the land, it costs less to build two towers of 300 meters near each other, rather than a single 600 meter one.

As for the rest, no, you are making a statement. When you say something, what you say is referred as "a statement". And when you call "a joke" something/someone, take the consequences of your own words. Don't shove the excuse "I am merely starting a discussion".
If I say " You guys are a bunch of morons", I can't say "it was just to start a discussion" when people answer back to me in a certain way. Learn the difference between stating facts, an opinion, or just plain trolling.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #26196
patrick989
Registered User
 
patrick989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 301
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Look at its beauty in those renders! ...And it has the old communications platform ring design...
That's not the actual platform ring that's gonna be built, right? The newer one looks much nicer than that one.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #26197
kingsc
Registered User
 
kingsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,761
Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
You don't need to tell me about economics, I know that towers in the US get to be built for demand, not as oil trophies. However take the WTC into consideration. There will be 5 towers over there. My question is why? Why 5 smaller towers and not 1 megatall or 2 if you want one to belong to Larry and one to the PA? Why is that? Why did Larry have to build 4 smaller buildings? Why couldn't he build one taller and use the rest of his land as park or retail? I'm really curious about these things

Also, I'd like to point out that I'm open to facts and I am not making any "statements". I am merely starting a discussion. After all, this is a discussion forum. I will gladly listen/learn to what other people have to say about this matter
What's the logic of building a mega tall building in lower manhattan? And they're building 3 supertalls and 2 skyscrapers, to replace 2 supertalls and 5 low raises. And there's already enough parks in that area. Battery parker being one of them and the retail area is below ground.
__________________
My site
Entertainmentcove.weebly.com
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #26198
WTCNewYork
Registered User
 
WTCNewYork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
You don't need to tell me about economics, I know that towers in the US get to be built for demand, not as oil trophies. However take the WTC into consideration. There will be 5 towers over there. My question is why? Why 5 smaller towers and not 1 megatall or 2 if you want one to belong to Larry and one to the PA? Why is that? Why did Larry have to build 4 smaller buildings? Why couldn't he build one taller and use the rest of his land as park or retail? I'm really curious about these things
I wouldn't call 2, 3 and 4 WTC "smaller" buildings. The old WTC lowrises of about 8 stories, are "smaller" buildings.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #26199
Im Using A Computer
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 14

What was the reasoning behind this shit storm?
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #26200
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Lokey answered one point: aesthetics. One of the requirements for the design has always been one: stand out, but not too much. And given the kind of project (political and social involvement) that was extremely important.

Second: the higher you build, the higher the cost per square foot. If you already own the land, it costs less to build two towers of 300 meters near each other, rather than a single 600 meter one.

As for the rest, no, you are making a statement. When you say something, what you say is referred as "a statement". And when you call "a joke" something/someone, take the consequences of your own words. Don't shove the excuse "I am merely starting a discussion".
If I say " You guys are a bunch of morons", I can't say "it was just to start a discussion" when people answer back to me in a certain way. Learn the difference between stating facts, an opinion, or just plain trolling.
Well, to me a building can never stand out too much. Also, if building very tall building isn't economic then why were the older American towers built? For example, why did Sears build the world's tallest building if it could have built two smaller buildings instead? Also, I'd like to remind you that you're starting to use offensive words. Do you really need to use such words? Can we really not discuss this issue in a civilized and mature manner?
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu