daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:15 AM   #26841
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
That said, i really do wish it was much taller. I was never a fan of rebuilding as it was, but they could have had the roof or obs at 1776 feet instead of the top of the spire. The height at the top of the spire is meaningless compared to a height visitors can walk around at. The spire should have been 2001 feet 9.11 inches.- A
I'm astonished whenever someone suggests this. Why should the tower be capped at a height symbolic of the deaths of thousands? It's bad symbolism.

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:36 AM   #26842
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

The concrete base of 1 WTC is a major step up from the original World Trade Center Towers. Terrorists can try all they want a truck bomb will deflect off of Tower 1. God forbid another attack does happen at least now the Tower is more than prepared for something to happen. I used to always think the Twin Towers were invincible when I was a child, little did I know just how vulnerable they were. 1993 should never have happened to begin with if the Port Authority tightened security. Is there a chance the PA could have prevented 9/11? Probably not, unless they put some Air Defense System equipped with missiles atop the buildings but that would be too unrealistic. 1 WTC is coming along better than I could have imagined. Is it the Twin Towers absolutely not, it's not supposed to be, but it is a step in the right direction. New Twin Towers could never replace the original Twin Towers so it was time for something new, not to replace the Towers, but to keep the power of America going, to show terrorists that we can get knocked down only to get right back up with new Towers. 9/11 should have never happened to begin with but at least now Tower 1 is making it's marker to honor the fallen Twin Towers.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:47 AM   #26843
frzbglfr25

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I'm astonished whenever someone suggests this. Why should the tower be capped at a height symbolic of the deaths of thousands? It's bad symbolism.
1776 is not for the # of people that died, but the year of Americas independance.
frzbglfr25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:06 AM   #26844
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Can everyone just report troll posts instead of responding to them? Saves me a ton of work. Thanks in advance
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:11 AM   #26845
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by frzbglfr25 View Post
1776 is not for the # of people that died, but the year of Americas independance.
He knows that, he was referring to the 2001 height. And if a 2001 spire height is a bad idea, then why not make the spire height 2013, the year 1 WTC opens? This is all hypothetical of course..
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM   #26846
ArtNouveau

Likes (Received): 105

The concrete base is a bit pointless given the fact that only 1WTC has it. Terrorists could unfortunately just as easily target 2WTC.
ArtNouveau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #26847
WTCNewYork

http://www.wtc.com/uploads/images/71...e-Woolhead.jpg

Source: www.wtc.com by Joe Woolhead
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:44 AM   #26848
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
The concrete base is a bit pointless given the fact that only 1WTC has it. Terrorists could unfortunately just as easily target 2WTC.
Look at a map of lower manhattan. Do you see the highway next to 1 wtc? Do you see the highway next to towers 2, 3, and 4? Just saying. All kinds of vehicles use that highway to get to/from brooklyn, the bronx and NJ. The smaller streets are plastered and paved in cops and detection/CCTV systems.

To those concerned: I know some of you out there have been to lower manhattan, be it years ago or as recent as a few minutes ago, but some of you have never even been to the US and are talking about the site as if you've been there. Please don't. I know you may want to feel "involved" but try to keep it real, eh?

- A
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:45 AM   #26849
WTCNewYork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Better resolution of the already posted:

(Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero / dbox)
This picture reminds me of this picture: http://wirednewyork.com/images/skysc..._greenwich.jpg
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:00 AM   #26850
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by frzbglfr25 View Post
Good thing I wasn't talking about the current height of 1776 but rather a user's proposed height of 2001.

Try reading next time.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:11 AM   #26851
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
It's not the diagram, it's the insanity of the developers. For some weird reason they decided to skip some floor numbers
Hi Kanto.

Insanity has nothing to do with it. It's their structure, they can number the levels however they like. Level numbering is extremely varied from project to project. The ones that number exactly level for level are in the minority. Many skip numbers considered superstitious in their country. Many call the first as the ground level and some even have a concourse and a ground before level 1. Take ICC in Hong Kong. It skips a few numbers between some levels and doesn't count any MEP levels at all.

The level numbering scheme of 1WTC is not 'wierd' at all - relatively normal actually.

Ray.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #26852
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi Kanto.

Insanity has nothing to do with it. It's their structure, they can number the levels however they like. Level numbering is extremely varied from project to project. The ones that number exactly level for level are in the minority. Many skip numbers considered superstitious in their country. Many call the first as the ground level and some even have a concourse and a ground before level 1. Take ICC in Hong Kong. It skips a few numbers between some levels and doesn't count any MEP levels at all.

The level numbering scheme of 1WTC is not 'wierd' at all - relatively normal actually.

Ray.
Yea, I'd find it more strange to be on the "4th" floor and be 200ft above the street.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:36 AM   #26853
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
diagram up[date
is this ok?
large>
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6168/...6e51513d_o.jpg

image hosted on flickr
The 1,792' marks the lightning rod, which generally doesn't count in building heights (for whatever stupid reason). The CTBUH will, per their published standards, list the building as 1,787' tall. 1,776' marks the height of the beacon that will flash the letter "N" in Morse code.

1WTC is also 62.5m wide. 61m is just to the column centers.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM   #26854
swatll

Likes (Received): 0

Israeli Prime Minister Benajamin Netanyahu and his wife Sara laid a wreath in commemoration of the victims of the 9/11 terror attacks at the newly opened memorial site at Ground Zero.
swatll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM   #26855
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
To those concerned: I know some of you out there have been to lower manhattan, be it years ago or as recent as a few minutes ago, but some of you have never even been to the US and are talking about the site as if you've been there. Please don't. I know you may want to feel "involved" but try to keep it real, eh?

- A
That was well said and I agree.
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM   #26856
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Look at that glass..

September 22nd..

image hosted on flickr

1 World Trade Center by [nilay] on Flickr
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #26857
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
The 1,792' marks the lightning rod, which generally doesn't count in building heights (for whatever stupid reason). The CTBUH will, per their published standards, list the building as 1,787' tall. 1,776' marks the height of the beacon that will flash the letter "N" in Morse code.

1WTC is also 62.5m wide. 61m is just to the column centers.
So the roof height is 1373 feet? But why do the SSP diagrams say it's 1368 feet?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM   #26858
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^The north entrance is at El. 307' 10" while the main lobby floor is at El. 311' 2"; if you start to count from the lowest open-air entrance, you'll have the parapet at 1371' 4".. The roof is not the parapet, it is located 33' 4" below the top of parapet at 1334' 8" from main lobby floor or 1338' from the north entrance.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM   #26859
Slovenia for WTC
From Slovenija with love

I asked: What's going on with the lobby? from back of black protection coating?

thanks!
Slovenia for WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM   #26860
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovenia for WTC View Post
I asked: What's going on with the lobby? from back of black protection coating?

thanks!
Gettin' ready for cladding..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center