daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #2721
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
Ah hahaha you're a nerd
Dude......this is a skyscraper forum. We're ALL nerds here.

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #2722
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden View Post
Dude......this is a skyscraper forum. We're ALL nerds here.
Hey!!! I'm not!
I have a supermodel girlfriend, I'm devastatingly handsome, I have millions in the bank, and countless friends.
Oh, wait....maybe I don't...

or do I?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #2723
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

TOWER POWER

Tower PowerBy Tom Topousis

October, 09 2007

New York Post

The Big Apple is in the midst of a building boom that over the next 25 years will change the face of the city and create so many new office towers that the added space alone will be bigger than downtown San Francisco or Atlanta, a Post analysis shows.

With the World Trade Center reconstruction now underway and several large towers going up in Midtown, the city and state will open bids this week for development of the largest tract of available land in Manhattan: 26 acres over the West Side rail yards. Added together, towers under construction, in the planning stages or proposed for future development add between 65 million and 70 million square feet of office space - about seven times what is being built at the World Trade Center alone.

"And we think over time, taking a couple of decades, we'll need every bit of that," Deputy Mayor Daniel Doctoroff said of the projections for new office space.

Doctoroff also said that soon after Mayor Bloomberg took office in 2002, the administration calculated that the city would need 65 million to 70 million square feet of new office construction if it is to remain competitive as a business center.

"We're not smart enough to be able to predict exactly when all that will be built, but it's a . . . number that we'll need," he said.

While the amount of new office space planned may sound enormous, the phasing of its construction makes the new projects viable, said Mary Ann Tighe, chief executive officer of CB Richard Ellis' New York office.

"It's a very orderly delivery of space compared to the boom and bust cycles we had in the 1970s and '80s," Tighe said.

Tighe said a force behind the demand for new office space is the aging of Manhattan's current buildings. A study by CB Richard Ellis found that 63.9 percent of the city's office towers will be over 50 years old by 2010, compared with a national average of 24 percent.

Unlike most other cities, Tighe said Manhattan's office towers are more likely to be filled with the top tier of corporate officials - the types of executives who are willing to pay a premium for the best and most technologically sophisticated space.

The Real Estate Board of New York calculates that 7.9 million square feet of new office space is now under construction, including the Freedom Tower. Another 6.9 million square feet is in the planning stages, including four additional towers at the World Trade Center site.

REBNY projects that another 12.6 million square feet in 14 potential projects - mostly in Midtown redevelopment - could be on tap as well.

But the biggest chunk of expansion would come on the far West Side in the Hudson Yards, stretching from the rail yards between 30th and 33rd streets all the way north to 42nd Street, where the city is counting on 24 million square feet of new office space.

http://www.wtc.com/news/tower-power

Last edited by Carlos123; October 15th, 2007 at 06:28 AM.
Carlos123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #2724
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Is that bedrock on the second pic?
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #2725
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

i had a dream last night...

i was in nyc for some reason, and all of my friends.. and they build the freedom tower in one day lmao for the higher floors and lobby, they even already installed sheet rock and windows and stone floors. i was amazed that they did all that in 1 day.
there wasn't just 1 wtc1, there were twins lmao and they didn't feel very tall even though the were. After few hours there was a fire alarm and everyone had to go outside blah blah but then it was ok. ?? i think it was just a test lol. anyways, it was a weird dream i dont have enough time to go into a lot of detail
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #2726
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

What is on that flat bed on the webcam? I don't think its steel because it seems to shiney but I can't imagine it being anything else really. Any ideas?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #2727
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
She's going to look amazing because the base is semi-see-through and you'll be able to see those massive steel columns around the perimeter of the tower.

[IMG]http://i20.************/349aved.jpg[/IMG]
While the spire itself is certainly poetic, the donut just seems ungainly and utilitarian now.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #2728
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The crown should look better in the final product.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #2729
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.kovac View Post
Is that bedrock on the second pic?
yes, that is bedrock
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2730
Ebola
BANNED

All hail Manhattan Schist! No other place is as good for supporting skyscrapers. Manhattan is lucky that crap like earthquakes won't ever happen and foundations won't implode. One day, we'll see towers over a mile tall on Manhattan. Who needs Harlem? Let's just demolish every building north of 111th Street and build supertall.

I wouldn't mind giving up my house so that developers could build supertalls. I actually hope something like that happens again, like what they did to Radio Row for this project's ancestor. But at least we have the West Side for a plethora of new supertalls; by the time this project is compleded, NY will have many other supertalls starting construction, mostly around the Empire State Building.

Last edited by Ebola; October 15th, 2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #2731
Dale

Quote:
The crown should look better in the final product.
So, this is not the final design then ? Is there word that the crown is going to be tweaked some more ?
Old October 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #2732
Ebola
BANNED

By "final product," I mean 'completed building.' This is the rule for the Freedom Tower: don't believe anything you see until it's completed because subtle things like that will be changed. Remember, MTVA and other orgs. can change stuff with the broadcast crown. I am 100% sure the crown and perhaps even spire will not look like it does in the final rendering. I know someone who says he has seen multiple versions of the crown and how it works with the spire and they are still deciding what they want to do. People seem to like the latest version of the crown the most, but I'd like to see something different. They have over a year to decide what will be done with the crown because the Freedom Tower will be topped in 2009.

Anyways, it's common sense. 1WTC most likely holds the world record for number of skyscraper design changes. Amirite?

Last edited by Ebola; October 16th, 2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #2733
Dale

Quote:
By "final product," I mean 'completed building.' This is the rule for the Freedom Tower: don't believe anything you see until it's completed because subtle things like that will be changed. Remember, MTVA and other orgs. can change stuff with the broadcast crown. I am 100% sure the crown and perhaps even spire will not look like it does in the final rendering. I know someone who says he has seen multiple versions of the crown and how it works with the spire and they are still deciding what they want to do. People seem to like the latest version of the crown the most, but I'd like to see something different. They have over a year to decide what will be done with the crown because the Freedom Tower will be topped in 2009.

Anyways, it's common sense. 1WTC most likely holds the world record for number of skyscraper design changes. Amirite?
nourite
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #2734
Ebola
BANNED

LOTS of progress has been made this month. They are getting faster every day. They will pour a lot of concrete in a few days.

NEW - Oct.2007

Go to
http://www.wtcrising.com/
if you can't see them or for more updates.

Last edited by Ebola; October 17th, 2007 at 03:30 AM.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #2735
Cadillac

Likes (Received): 2

It's not letting me past page 136. Is anyone else having this problem? I see there are noe 138 pages on this topic.
Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #2736
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

LOL this page is cursed!!!
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #2737
Cadillac

Carlos are you seeing it too?
Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #2738
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
It's not letting me past page 136. Is anyone else having this problem? I see there are noe 138 pages on this topic.
I've been having the same problem.
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #2739
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Don't worry about it. Those pages don't actually exist, it's just a forum bug. You aren't missing any actual posts.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #2740
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

pour the core dammit ;|
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center