daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #27841
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

WTCProgress on Facebook
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #27842
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

How far is 1WTC from the ESB?
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #27843
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmanjr View Post
How far is 1WTC from the ESB?
Not quite walking distance. It's probably about 3 or 4 miles. My friends were in town last weekend and they wanted to walk from Herald Square (where ESB is) downtown. Lucky for them I was there so we took the train.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #27844
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

The PA quarterly report is now available

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/pdf/2Q2011_Report.pdf
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #27845
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
The PA quarterly report is now available

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/pdf/2Q2011_Report.pdf
I'm guessing this doesn't refer to the same dates as a financial quarter, correct? Because if that's the case this would be a very slow public release to be reporting on what happened ~eight months ago.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #27846
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I thought that they were bad links because of the URL. I apologize.
I reported Dominator5631's post by mistake. First post, four "naked" links, no comments - it sure looked fishy, especially given all the recent spam bot and virus posting that hang around for a day or more. And his links turned out to be some of the most awesome photos ever posted here.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #27847
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I've got a question folks, why does 1WTC build first the steel frame, then 10 floors lower the concrete core when for example the Shanghai Tower builds first the concrete core then the steel frame? What's the difference between these two approaches?
God I love your questions...
If you wanna build the safest skyscraper in the world then you must focus on its strenght. Tower One uses this steel-first method to increase its structural strengh. Unlike the Shard or Shanghai Tower, the floor beams need to be tied into the core's frame by using dovetail joints. You can clearly see on the pic below the scalloped ends, they get bolted to the core steel acting like a dovetail joint. Floor beam's ends and core steel get surrounded by thick rebar and burried into 3-feet high strenght concrete walls.

image hosted on flickr

DSCF1193 by derek2k10, on Flickr

In skyscrapers like ST or Shard the technique is totally different, floor beams get welded or bolted to a plate cast into the core. This method is the most common, yet not the strongest.

Last edited by Otie; October 27th, 2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #27848
niuer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I recommend this,i think this is better than you,you should try it.
http://cli.gs/uqs5enj
niuer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #27849
IanG
1 WTC / Tower 1 lover...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsky View Post
Would you explain me, how do you recognize whether a link is bad or nasty?
It really depends on a number of things... I assumed the links were bad because they were short (a common denominator).

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower by Innes2011, on Flickr
IanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #27850
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
If you wanna build the safest skyscraper in the world then you must focus on its strenght. Tower One uses this steel-first method to increase its structural strengh. Unlike the Shard or Shanghai Tower, the floor beams need to be tied into the core's frame by using dovetail joints. You can clearly see on the pic below the scalloped ends, they get bolted to the core steel acting like a dovetail joint. Floor beam's ends and core steel get surrounded by thick rebar and burried into 3-feet high strenght concrete walls.

image hosted on flickr

In skyscrapers like ST or Shard the technique is totally different, floor beams get welded or bolted to a plate cast into the core. This method is the most common, yet not the strongest.
Thank you for your answer From what I know floor beams being strongly connected to the core is to prevent the situation where the steel structure would progressively collapse while the core would remain undamaged, right?

Btw, some pics I got from flickr

image hosted on flickr

I cover the waterfront by pmarella, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lower Manhattan Jersey City & Hoboken NJ by pmarella, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center 1 by Ben-ah, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center 1 by Tirson, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #27851
Topher51

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post

image hosted on flickr

You are correct in your assessment of the steel/concrete core system. A composite core is the strongest system you can provide and is used on many of the really tall towers going up these days.

However, I disagree with you in regards to the connections of the floor beams to the embedded steel columns and the picture of the beams on the trailer. Those aren't dove tails in the beam flanges and the beam ends don't get cast into the concrete. Those beams are part of what is called a Reduced Beam Section (RBS) Moment Connection.

In a normal building, most beam end connections are designed to just resist shear. In a building that is designed to resist progressive collapse, the beam end connections are moment connections. This is because if the beam fails, they want it to do so in a manner that does not rupture the beam, connection or column. In this connection, the yielding occurs at the point of reduced section, which deforms and rotates, preventing the stresses from reaching the column and prevents a progressive collapse due to this beam's failure.
Topher51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #27852
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Thank you for your response too
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #27853
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Looking slick and sexy.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #27854
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

I think 1 WTC will be without doubt the safest skyscraper in the world, giving it a reputation similar to the twins, as imposing and impenetrable.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #27855
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
It really depends on a number of things... I assumed the links were bad because they were short (a common denominator).
Ok, I understand, just listened funny, a bad link

By the way, wonderful pics, Kanto.
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #27856
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher51 View Post
You are correct in your assessment of the steel/concrete core system. A composite core is the strongest system you can provide and is used on many of the really tall towers going up these days.

However, I disagree with you in regards to the connections of the floor beams to the embedded steel columns and the picture of the beams on the trailer. Those aren't dove tails in the beam flanges and the beam ends don't get cast into the concrete. Those beams are part of what is called a Reduced Beam Section (RBS) Moment Connection.

In a normal building, most beam end connections are designed to just resist shear. In a building that is designed to resist progressive collapse, the beam end connections are moment connections. This is because if the beam fails, they want it to do so in a manner that does not rupture the beam, connection or column. In this connection, the yielding occurs at the point of reduced section, which deforms and rotates, preventing the stresses from reaching the column and prevents a progressive collapse due to this beam's failure.
Your information is my dogbone!
Thanks for the correction.

WTCProgress on Facebook

Last edited by Otie; October 27th, 2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #27857
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2634

That goldman sachs building could be the world biggest christmas tree.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #27858
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2042

bad design !!!
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #27859
samdman

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
bad design !!!
what?
samdman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #27860
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Topher51, please post more often.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center