daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #28081
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

2011 - NYC - 179 by Niks Mis Mee BV, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

dm_20111031_new_york_0133 by Daniele Morra, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

dm_20111031_new_york_0132 by Daniele Morra, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

dm_20111031_new_york_0177 by Daniele Morra, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photo by Liliane7
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #28082
Otie
Researcher

Readying a Destination at New York’s New Summit
By David W. Dunlap | November 7, 2011

Quote:
With every passing week, 1 World Trade Center can be seen from more and more places around New York and New Jersey, which means that more and more places can be seen from 1 World Trade Center.

Which means that it’s time to start thinking about who will operate the observation deck, opening in the summer of 2014. It is to occupy 85,000 square feet on the 100th, 101st and 102nd floors of the tower. The uppermost floor slab will be 1,268 feet above ground level; slightly higher than the aerie atop the Empire State Building (1,250 feet) but — as The Wall Street Journal noted — considerably lower than the Skydeck Chicago (1,353 feet), atop the Tower Formerly Known as Sears.

A floor plan of the uppermost level of the observation deck at 1 World Trade Center shows the diamond shape resulting from tower’s tapering sides. This angled perspective should create dynamic vistas.

At the Tower Formerly Known as Freedom, the observation deck will have its own underground lobby on the west side of the building, to isolate visitors from office tenants. Five high-speed elevators will shoot visitors to the deck at 2,000 feet a minute. (That would work out to about a 40-second trip to the 102nd floor, much less time than we spend getting to the third-floor newsroom here at The Times.)

The Durst Organization and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, co-developers under the name Tower 1 Joint Venture L.L.C., have begun to cast their net for a likely operator. In their request for statements of qualification, they said that about five million visitors a year are expected at the World Trade Center site and that they were “open to creative ideas” for the observation deck.

At a minimum, applicants are expected to have developed, operated and managed “at least three (3) comparable venues,” which would seem on the face of it to be impossible, until you read a bit further to learn that means a high quality attraction within the tourism and leisure industry that attracts at least five hundred thousand (500,000) visitors per annum and has an annual operating budget of at least $5 million.
Statements of qualification are due Nov. 16. The developers will then compile a short list of prospects who will be asked to submit competitive design and operation plans. So it’s still a bit early to stand in line.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #28083
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider12 View Post
he always posts the drinking smiley face
I guess the PA webcam makes him thirsty?
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #28084
dan455tx

Likes (Received): 0

Great photos!
dan455tx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #28085
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
I think anything taller would just look too tall and out of place, it feels just right to me as it is.
I agree; anything larger just wouldn't fit there, not to mention it would ruin the symmetry of Lower Manhattan. You have Beekman on one side, and the WTC on the other.

What's being built has the same scale as the old towers, and thus won't look out of place.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #28086
andru04499

Likes (Received): 91

Does anyone have a width comparison between the old towers and the new WTC 1?
andru04499 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #28087
Cuernavacacity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 101

WOW, Amazing city and buildings, I love New York
Cuernavacacity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #28088
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru04499 View Post
There were some posted a few pages back in this thread.

On the topic of height, I'm kind of glad the tower isnt taller. It's a strange phenomenon that tall buildings can ruin a skyline. If too tall, they can make all other buildings look small. Thus making the skyline subconsciously less impressive.

The world financial center and some other newer buildings in lower manahattan did this to some degree. They managed to make all the other smaller skyscrapers look small.

Ironically, what can detract from the perceived magnitude of a skyline in the short run, can actually be good in the long run. When enough of the larger scale buildings get built, the original larger scale buildings will be contributing rather than detracting from the sense of scale.

This rather bizarre observation also applied to the original twin towers. While they were impressive, they also managed to make all the other buildings unimpressive. A strange juxtaposition indeed.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #28089
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru04499 View Post
The base is around 98% of the area of one of the old towers. Due to the taper of the sides, the roof is about 50% of the area of one of the old towers.

I haven't done the math but those numbers should be close. The new tower is just a couple feet shorter in width at the base, but both also also feature cut off corners. The new tower has a larger portion of the corner cutoff. That is, until it reaches 185 feet in height. So it really matters how you're measuring in order to get exact comparison numbers.

It would be great to see the exact numbers if anyone is willing to put in the effort...
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #28090
Otie
Researcher

Tower One is 200' 1.5" (~60.99m) to the column centers. At the base, the overall footprint is going to be 205' (62.48m) +/- a few inches. The original twins were 207' 8" (63.27m) to the column centers and the overall footprint was ~210' (~64m).
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #28091
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

One last thing I would like to add is that if the side of the base is 205 feet or 62 meters then the side of the roof is according to the Pythagor equation is 144 feet or 44 meters

And to get a better idea of the comparison between 1WTC and the Twins I have a diagram

[IMG]http://i44.************/23rl5oo.jpg[/IMG]

Btw, I just love smileys so cheers
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #28092
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

I don't think that 4 WTC is already above the setback, if you look at the new perimeter columns placed.. but this question belongs to the 4 WTC thread.

Thanks for the comparison anyway.
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #28093
RegioManio
Mod SSC México

Likes (Received): 3345

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
There were some posted a few pages back in this thread.

On the topic of height, I'm kind of glad the tower isnt taller. It's a strange phenomenon that tall buildings can ruin a skyline. If too tall, they can make all other buildings look small. Thus making the skyline subconsciously less impressive.

The world financial center and some other newer buildings in lower manahattan did this to some degree. They managed to make all the other smaller skyscrapers look small.

Ironically, what can detract from the perceived magnitude of a skyline in the short run, can actually be good in the long run. When enough of the larger scale buildings get built, the original larger scale buildings will be contributing rather than detracting from the sense of scale.

This rather bizarre observation also applied to the original twin towers. While they were impressive, they also managed to make all the other buildings unimpressive. A strange juxtaposition indeed.
Interesting comment... I agree with you since I also had same opinion regarding original Twin Towers... they completely dominated the Lower Manhattan skyline so even American Express towers looked insignificant when seen from the ferry to Statue of Liberty...

RegioManio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #28094
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
I don't think that 4 WTC is already above the setback, if you look at the new perimeter columns placed.. but this question belongs to the 4 WTC thread.

Thanks for the comparison anyway.
That's true. I made this diagram when we thought that the new steel was for the setback floors. That's outdated info since it is now proven that it is only more steel for the mechanical floor. I posted this diagram only to compare how wide the buildings are

Btw, to the debate about how big is too big. I think there's no such thing as too big. The Twins were incredibly dominating buildings and I loved that. In my opinion it is the primary and most important attribute of a skyscraper to make other buildings arround it look insignifficant. I think a tower over 1 kilometer would look awesome in Lower Manhattan. For me it is the higher the better

Btw, I have pics

image hosted on flickr

Construction of the Freedom Tower by ayarnevich, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

freedom tower. by _mogi., on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

lower Manhattan by pmarella, on Flickr

And the PA cam for the end

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #28095
Cuernavacacity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
One last thing I would like to add is that if the side of the base is 205 feet or 62 meters then the side of the roof is according to the Pythagor equation is 144 feet or 44 meters

And to get a better idea of the comparison between 1WTC and the Twins I have a diagram

[IMG]http://i44.************/23rl5oo.jpg[/IMG]

Btw, I just love smileys so cheers
I thought that the One WTC was way to higher than the twin towers
Cuernavacacity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #28096
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

My preference is to build more skyscrapers around 300 m instead of one skyscraper around 600 m. And this towers aren't too dominating and let surrounding buildings looks like shad's, it just shows how extra big they are.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #28097
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuernavacacity View Post
I thought that the One WTC was way to higher than the twin towers
The CTBUH height measurement is a very puzzling way to measure a building's height (that's why I use roof height instead). They make difference between spires and antennas. Spires are counted in the official height but antennas not. This leads to info that is in fact misleading. They make 1WTC appear far taller than the Twins, but in reality their heights are nearly identical
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #28098
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

Well, I agree with tim.
I think One WTC is a little over sized, but in every case a cool building. I think, 400 Metres with 20 Metres spire would be enough, but I'm really happy about it now.

lwetli liked this post
Matsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #28099
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsky View Post
Well, I agree with tim.
I think One WTC is a little over sized, but in every case a cool building. I think, 400 Metres with 20 Metres spire would be enough, but I'm really happy about it now.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #28100
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What do you mean?
I meant, it's really higher than the other buildings. That's why I think it's not perfect there. This is no attack! I really love 1 WTC.
I think, this effect disappears, when every building of the complex is ready.

Spire, Antenna: It think, the different is the height.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center