daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #28121
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

I've been watching closely the progress of 1WTC in NYC and The Shard in London. Two very similar projects, but both done very well.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...18897&page=500

I prefer the cladding on 1WTC, but the shape of the Shard is great, especially at the top - not being reliant on the mast.
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #28122
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

I wanted to see 1WTC in MW3 what a shame
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #28123
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl1 View Post
I've been watching closely the progress of 1WTC in NYC and The Shard in London. Two very similar projects, but both done very well.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...18897&page=500

I prefer the cladding on 1WTC, but the shape of the Shard is great, especially at the top - not being reliant on the mast.
I don't see anything similar about these buildings at all. 1 WTC looks a million times better than that ugly thing.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #28124
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I 1000% agree with you. 1WTC is a masterpiece but the Shard is ugly
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #28125
Matsky
Matsky

Likes (Received): 43

Hey hey hey! Why does look the Shard ugly?
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #28126
Matsky
Matsky

Maybe a little bit strange, but I don't think it's ugly..
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #28127
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsky View Post
It's a matter of opinion.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #28128
Matsky
Matsky

1:0 for you.
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #28129
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Maybe a little bit strange, but I don't think it's ugly..
it's not strange, check out it's thread, there are loads of people that love the Shard as well as love 1WTC including myself
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #28130
[email protected]@r
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Amazing. Maybe the most important building of the early 21th century.
J@gu@r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #28131
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

I really think 1 WTC is just a more modern and more safe north tower. I like how it keeps some of the same aspects of the twins, but also looks more 21-st century.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #28132
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Because if they added some blades at the top, you'd have a giant windmill
looks almost identical to the antique windmill that sits on the 4th hole of my local golf course. i've hit it a few times....
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #28133
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

one world trade center by julian schau, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Good Morning New York! by Naturallyintense, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

WTC Site 20111109- Freedom Tower by morrongiello, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #28134
Melb_SuperTall

Likes (Received): 24

The same could be said with wtc1 if you added some graphite to the top you could have one giant HB pencil lol... Anway the shard looks awesome and wtc1 looks awesome!
Melb_SuperTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #28135
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

Lower Manhattan from the Empire State building by cooks333, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #28136
Fardeb

Likes (Received): 5

I know it's been the tallest thing down there for a while now, but it's really starting to separate from the pack. It's starting to look pretty dominant in the newer pictures.
Fardeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #28137
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

I'm guessing the tip of the crane is roughly where the roof will be when it tops out. It is indeed up there!

Last edited by micrip; November 11th, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #28138
Martijn1
Martijn1

Likes (Received): 708

On the second pic of Otie (Naturally Intense Photography) the Flat Iron building sits in the middle. Just left of that, what is that for a building and how long is it sitting there? I can't recall it when I was back there in 2006, walking along the FI-building. But it is possible I was too impressed by New York to remember all....
Martijn1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #28139
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

http://www.downtownexpress.com/?p=4454

Downtown Express
November 9, 2011

Mixed forecast for One W.T.C., says leasing exec

BY ALINE REYNOLDS | Tara Stacom, vice chairperson of the global commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield, and a member of the firm’s global advisory board, has taken on one of Lower Manhattan’s most eminent office leasing projects: 1 World Trade Center, formerly dubbed the “Freedom Tower.” In a Nov. 2 interview, Stacom remarked on the building’s current and prospective tenants in light of the economic downturn, the building’s distinguishing characteristics and day-to-day activity at the site.

DE: What is so appealing about 1 W.T.C., from the perspective of an office tenant?

It’s truly a chance for a company to get on a global stage. The tower is a global icon — it’s going to be the largest, tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. It’s only up to 86 stories in steel, yet it makes an extraordinary impression. For many companies I’ve represented, from the smallest to the largest, the letterhead address is very significant in assisting to transform their identity around the world. When Rockefeller Center was built, and tenants put on their letterhead, “Rockafeller Plaza,” they got instant recognition. The W.T.C. site will do that in a far greater way, because it’s more iconic, it’s more discussed and talked about, and it’s architecturally renowned.

DE: Talk about the tenants you’ve secured thus far.

The first tenant which signed is Vantone, for about 190,000 square feet on floors 64 to 69. The second is Conde Nast, which took just over one million feet on floors 20 to 41.

DE: What kind of company is Vantone?

It’s actually a division of Vantone called China Center New York, a Chinese entity that houses companies from China coming to the U.S. to do business. It’s going to be a terrific asset for the bluilding. It’s owned by a renowned individual in China who hired a renowned architect to construct an extraordinary premises that the other tenants will benefit from, including a conference space and a club facility.

DE: How do you think Conde Nast’s lease-signing is continuing to influence the office market in 1 W.T.C. and Downtown in general?

Conde Nast is a global brand with cache. For many tenants in New York City, it shined a light on a Downtown that was thought to be solely for financial services and investment banking, which it has been for quite some time. Everyone jokes and smiles when saying how the young Goldman Sachs guys will wonderfully mix with the Conde Nast employees.

DE: In sealing new leases, are you targeting specific types of business or industries?

Yes, in that we’re looking at getting a very diverse roster within the building — not just from a size perspective but from an industry category perspective, and from a geographic perspective. We are [searching] for further international presence as we get closer to renting. We’re also looking for diversity [in size] and are ready to lease smaller spaces than your million-square-foot tenants — like one-to-two floors — so that we have a truly diverse, global building in every respect. We do have serious prospects currently from the Downtown community, and we want to attract other Midtown tenants, of course.

DE: Are there any other office tenants you’ve lined up that we don’t know about yet?

Conde was unusually out of the box early! There are more than a dozen that we’re tracking, including a creative firm and a law firm. Their brokers would prefer that I not mention their names. There are millions of feet of potential there — we have been touring actively and are having active dialogue with very large users as well as two-floor users.

Read on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really interesting interview, hopefully they secure some more tenants soon, so that further tenants have to pick 2 or 3 WTC, so that these building can be build as well..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #28140
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I'm guessing the tip of the crane will be roughly where the roof will be when it tops out. It is indeed up there!
You're right. Check out this pic I just made and compare it to Otie's original pic

[IMG]http://i40.************/2yypc8w.jpg[/IMG]

Btw, oli, thank you for the article. I can use info on tenats since I'm planning to make a thread about it

Last edited by Kanto; November 10th, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center